Will Dell 19" Ultra Sharp Monitor + 128MB PCI Express (DVI..

Mike

Splendid

I'm going to buy either a Dell 4600 or Dell 4700, 512MB RAM, 3Ghz HT CPU, XP
Home, 128MB PCI (DVI\VGA\TV out) ATI Radeon
OEM video adapter, 19" Ultra Sharp monitor, correctly display cable TV
signal? Dell sales rep told me I'd have to buy a Dell LCD TV mointor for
that.
Is that true?

Thanks,

Mike

Nemo

Mike wrote:

> I'm going to buy either a Dell 4600 or Dell 4700, 512MB RAM, 3Ghz HT CPU, XP
> Home, 128MB PCI (DVI\VGA\TV out) ATI Radeon
> OEM video adapter, 19" Ultra Sharp monitor, correctly display cable TV
> signal? Dell sales rep told me I'd have to buy a Dell LCD TV mointor for
> that.
> Is that true?

I have the Dell 2001fp and it displays TV just fine. In fact it has a
couple of video inputs. I usually use my MIT MyHD card and watch either
via overlay on the computer (DVI) input or straight from the card via
the VGA input. You WILL need some sort of tuner if you want to watch cable.

--
Nemo

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot
of that comes from bad judgment." -- Will Rogers

Mike wrote:

> I'm going to buy either a Dell 4600 or Dell 4700, 512MB RAM, 3Ghz HT CPU,
> XP Home, 128MB PCI (DVI\VGA\TV out) ATI Radeon
> OEM video adapter, 19" Ultra Sharp monitor, correctly display cable TV
> signal? Dell sales rep told me I'd have to buy a Dell LCD TV mointor
> for that.
> Is that true?

The 4600 and 4700 have no TV-in unless you go for Media Center Edition in
which case you can get a Radeon 9000 AIW on the 4600 or an "e-home wonder"
tuner and a Radeon x300 PCI Express on the 4700.

Personally I'd go with a machine from a company that had made a more
thorough commitment to multimedia if I wanted TV-in and wasn't willing to
build my own.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)