Best 19-21" LCD <$1200 (esp for text)

I would like to get the best 19-21" LCD possible. My priority is the
clearest and least eye-straining possible text, but a monitor that was
good for gaming would also be a big plus.

So far my choices boil down to the Samsung 213t and the Apple 20"
Cinema Display. Does anyone have any comments on the relative merits
of these two displays, or other suggestions? Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about best 1200 text

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:05:13 GMT, Akilesh Ayyar <noone@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    >I would like to get the best 19-21" LCD possible. My priority is the
    >clearest and least eye-straining possible text, but a monitor that was
    >good for gaming would also be a big plus.
    >
    >So far my choices boil down to the Samsung 213t and the Apple 20"
    >Cinema Display. Does anyone have any comments on the relative merits
    >of these two displays, or other suggestions? Thanks.

    I know this isn't on your list, but I just got a Viewsonic VP201B
    20.1" and absolutely love it. Crisp text at 1600x1200 and no ghosting
    in games (16ms response time).

    Kevin Miller

    "Either way, it is bad for Zathras."

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:05:13 GMT, Akilesh Ayyar <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

    > I would like to get the best 19-21" LCD possible. My priority is the
    > clearest and least eye-straining possible text, but a monitor that was
    > good for gaming would also be a big plus.
    >
    > So far my choices boil down to the Samsung 213t and the Apple 20"
    > Cinema Display. Does anyone have any comments on the relative merits
    > of these two displays, or other suggestions? Thanks.

    Dell 2001fp.

    Reviews:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=dell+2001fp+review

    If you act today you can get it for $719 shipped.
    http://www.xpbargains.com/best_deal.php/lcd_monitor_deals.htm

    (The deals keep coming back in different varieties. A few weeks ago I got it
    for $749 shipped.)
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Akilesh Ayyar <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<3hueg09j2kfpko7cn9dsbp7ob5vrncambs@4ax.com>...
    > I would like to get the best 19-21" LCD possible. My priority is the
    > clearest and least eye-straining possible text, but a monitor that was
    > good for gaming would also be a big plus.
    >
    > So far my choices boil down to the Samsung 213t and the Apple 20"
    > Cinema Display. Does anyone have any comments on the relative merits
    > of these two displays, or other suggestions? Thanks.

    Just want to add some more info:

    I actually went to a Fry's electronics the other day and saw a 213t
    and was quite impressed with its text and image performance. I saw a
    Viewsonic VP201B (supposedly the same underlying panel as the Dell
    2001FP) too, but it was running daisychained to an analog port along
    with half a dozen other computers, so I won't make too much of its
    poor performance.

    Surprisingly, older-generation 20" Apple Cinema Display, which was
    hooked up to a nice ATI 9000 card all by itself was extremely
    disappointing when it came to small text. The color looked beautiful,
    but clearly it lacked sharpness. Well, that struck that display off my
    list.

    -

    I ended up buying the Samsung 213t, and so far I'm very happy with my
    choice. Now, it's probably not the best choice for gaming -- there is
    a clear and significant difference in refresh rates between this and a
    CRT, even when playing a less demanding game like Neverwinter Nights
    (though it's still quite playable). However, the image is beautiful,
    clear, and sharp. Extremely detailed. I dimmed the brightness way
    down, and I'm happier with it that way. No dead pixels, it seems. Not
    a one. (knock on wood)
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    On 31 Jul 2004 18:16:35 -0700, shivohum@gmail.com (Akilesh Ayyar)
    wrote:

    > I saw a Viewsonic VP201B (supposedly the same underlying panel as the Dell
    >2001FP) too, but it was running daisychained to an analog port along
    >with half a dozen other computers, so I won't make too much of its
    >poor performance.

    It must have been the analog port and/or the daisy-chaining, because
    my new VP201B is using the DVI connection and the image, both text and
    graphics, is outstanding. Perhaps the store was running it in a
    non-native resolution for some reason; those store employees are not
    always the sharpest knives in the drawer...:)

    Kevin Miller

    "Either way, it is bad for Zathras."
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Sony SDM-P232W/B...This is the bomb...Sony monitors have never failed
    on me...knock on wood...

    Redbrick...who Loves his CLK

    In article <3hueg09j2kfpko7cn9dsbp7ob5vrncambs@4ax.com>, noone@nowhere.com
    says...

    >I would like to get the best 19-21" LCD possible. My priority is the
    >clearest and least eye-straining possible text, but a monitor that was
    >good for gaming would also be a big plus.
    >
    >So far my choices boil down to the Samsung 213t and the Apple 20"
    >Cinema Display. Does anyone have any comments on the relative merits
    >of these two displays, or other suggestions? Thanks.

Graphics Cards LCD Graphics