Video cards for dual monitors

I have an HP Vectra workstation and an HP Omnibook 6000 notebook. Both
are 3 years old and will be replaced later this year.

I would like to get an LCD (19"+) monitor for the workstation and
possibly one for the notebook, too.

I will not be playing games or doing super high-resolution graphics --
mostly text editing, spreadsheets, and the like, plus some medium
resolution graphics such as (personal) digital photographs and web
surfing.

The workstation currently has a 15" CRT. I would like to try out the
concept of dual monitors.

I have been following this NG for awhile and it seems to me that the
video card may be more important than the monitor -- assuming I get a
quality monitor. Is that correct?

So, who makes the best video cards that support LCDs and dual
monitors?

One primary concern is reliable drivers. I have had some terrible
experiences with video drivers.

Tom's Hardware seems to like Nvidia.

Price is not a major concern. I am willing to spend a few bucks more
for quality.

All suggestions appreciated.

For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 16:37:56 -0700, Top Spin <ToppSpin@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I will not be playing games or doing super high-resolution graphics --
>mostly text editing, spreadsheets, and the like, plus some medium
>resolution graphics such as (personal) digital photographs and web
>surfing.

>So, who makes the best video cards that support LCDs and dual
>monitors?

For strictly 2D use, I'd suggest a Matrox card. Something like a G550
Dual DVI should do the job (you use an adapter for DVI to VGA for the
old CRT display). The advantage of Matrox over ATI and Nvidia is
better multi-monitor tools. It will also give the opportunity for a
future upgrade to two flat panel monitors with DVI on both
connections.

One issue you may have is compatibility with both the old and new
systems. You do not mention what sort of AGP connector is available on
the old system, so you will need to be sure the new card is
compatible. A few new systems these days require a PCI Express video
card and will not be compatible with an AGP card. Depending on how
long you wait to buy the new system, this could become a factor if the
market quickly moves to PCI Express.
- -
Gary L.
Reply to the newsgroup only

You haven't specify your OS. Just in case that you're using Win2003, WinXP,
or Win2000: they support multiple video cards. So you don't have to replace
your existing video card with the one supporting dual monitors, you can just
add another video card that in turn might support two or more monitors. And
oh yes, your video cards don't have to be from the same manufacturer. My
server that you visit by clicking on http://www.VideoClassified.com has two
video cards: ATI AIW and another cheap ATI something PCI.

--
Regards, Aharon.

VIDEO: http://www.videoclassified.com/pres1/
E-Mail: advertiser@videoclassified.com