Monitor displays as a narrow band

Hi all,
I have a PC running Win 2K. It is an old IBM. Its monitor suddenly stopped
working so I decided to hook up an old 15" monitor that was lying in the
closet. This is an HP Pavilion S40 .
But after connecting it and booting up all I get by way of display is a
narrow band of something flickering at the centre of the monitor about 4"
high with light blue bands on either side.

When I boot up in safe mode I can see the desktop properly and the setting
is 800x600 16 colors.

I went into display settings but I don't know what to choose.

As you might have gathered, I am fairly clueless here, so any suggestions
would be welcom to get this monitor working. Do I need to install some
drivers first? Is there some setting before that? For instance when I hit
the F1 key while booting up to get into hardware settings, there is
something for Display saying Cirrus Logic. I can't change it.

Regards
3 answers Last reply
More about monitor displays narrow band

    Some more information, if it will aid someone to help me
    in the hardware settings there is an option for video controller and that
    has the value
    CirrusLogic GD 5436/46 VGA

    When I boot in safe mode and go to Control Panel/Device Manager under
    Display Adapter again there is an entry for CirrusLogic.

    Is it possible that Cirrus Logic Display adapter doesn't work with my
    monitor?

    Thanks again

    "subbu venkatesh" <subbu_2004@techie.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I have a PC running Win 2K. It is an old IBM. Its monitor suddenly
    stopped
    > working so I decided to hook up an old 15" monitor that was lying in the
    > closet. This is an HP Pavilion S40 .
    > But after connecting it and booting up all I get by way of display is a
    > narrow band of something flickering at the centre of the monitor about 4"
    > high with light blue bands on either side.
    >
    > When I boot up in safe mode I can see the desktop properly and the setting
    > is 800x600 16 colors.
    >
    > I went into display settings but I don't know what to choose.
    >
    > As you might have gathered, I am fairly clueless here, so any suggestions
    > would be welcom to get this monitor working. Do I need to install some
    > drivers first? Is there some setting before that? For instance when I
    hit
    > the F1 key while booting up to get into hardware settings, there is
    > something for Display saying Cirrus Logic. I can't change it.
    >

    > Regards

    "subbu venkatesh" <subbu_2004@techie.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    > I have a PC running Win 2K. It is an old IBM. Its monitor suddenly
    stopped
    > working so I decided to hook up an old 15" monitor that was lying in the
    > closet. This is an HP Pavilion S40 .
    > But after connecting it and booting up all I get by way of display is a
    > narrow band of something flickering at the centre of the monitor about 4"
    > high with light blue bands on either side.

    Sounds like you're trying to run the monitor outside of its
    range of supported timings. The fact that you can get a
    display in "safe mode" says that the monitor IS working
    when given an acceptable timing, and so is the PC's video
    output. Trying setting the display timing to 800 x 600 at 60 Hz
    and see if that works, then try faster timings until it no
    longer works. (Unfortunately, I don't have the specs for the
    S40, so I can't tell you the fastest it would support.)

    Bob M.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Bob Myers wrote:
    > "subbu venkatesh" <subbu_2004@techie.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > > I have a PC running Win 2K. It is an old IBM. Its monitor suddenly
    > stopped
    > > working so I decided to hook up an old 15" monitor that was lying
    in the
    > > closet. This is an HP Pavilion S40 .
    > > But after connecting it and booting up all I get by way of display
    is a
    > > narrow band of something flickering at the centre of the monitor
    about 4"
    > > high with light blue bands on either side.
    >
    > Sounds like you're trying to run the monitor outside of its
    > range of supported timings. The fact that you can get a
    > display in "safe mode" says that the monitor IS working
    > when given an acceptable timing, and so is the PC's video
    > output. Trying setting the display timing to 800 x 600 at 60 Hz
    > and see if that works, then try faster timings until it no
    > longer works. (Unfortunately, I don't have the specs for the
    > S40, so I can't tell you the fastest it would support.)
    >
    > Bob M.

    Bob,
    Sorry for the late reply but thanks for your suggestions.
    I effectively did what you suggested. On the safe boot screen there was
    an option to do a regular boot into VGA mode. I chose that and was
    able to see everything properly. I saw that the setting was 800x600 at
    60 once I actually got to the desktop. It allowed me to go to 70hz but
    that was it!

    Regards

Graphics Cards Displays Monitors Graphics