Which 17" flat screen?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2004 1:19:16 PM

Need a new screen.

Not a gamer.

Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-

LG 1710
Samsung SyncMaster 173P

Any comments - good or bad about either?

Thanks.

Cheers,

John

More about : flat screen

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2004 6:16:42 PM

"OrmesbyJohn" <NoSpamThanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Need a new screen.
>
> Not a gamer.
>
> Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
>
> LG 1710
> Samsung SyncMaster 173P
>
> Any comments - good or bad about either?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John
--------------
Or alternative recommendation for an excellent 17"TFT.
Thanks
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2004 7:02:56 PM

> Need a new screen.
>
> Not a gamer.
>
> Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
>
> LG 1710
> Samsung SyncMaster 173P
>
> Any comments - good or bad about either?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
>
> John

The same Samsung PVA panel with the Eizo quality:
www.eizo.com/products/lcd/l568/index.asp

If you are not a gamer you have no reason to get a
narrow viewing angle TN panel.

Greetings
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2004 11:54:34 PM

"SR2" <alphasoft_nospam_@libero.it> wrote in message
> > Need a new screen.
> >
> > Not a gamer.
> >
> > Ref choice...I've got my shortlist down to 2:-
> >
> > LG 1710
> > Samsung SyncMaster 173P
> >
> > Any comments - good or bad about either?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > John
>
> The same Samsung PVA panel with the Eizo quality:
> www.eizo.com/products/lcd/l568/index.asp
>
> If you are not a gamer you have no reason to get a
> narrow viewing angle TN panel.
>
> Greetings
-------------------
TVM for the comments - appreciated - gotta decide now :-)
John
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2004 12:00:47 AM

> TVM for the comments - appreciated - gotta decide now :-)
> John

Consider that with Eizo OSD controls you can make
everything both in analog (VGA) and digital (DVI) mode...
Instead the Samsung lock out useful functions in digital mode,
like color temperature.

Good luck. :-)
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2004 4:33:18 AM

"SR2" <alphasoft_nospam_@libero.it> wrote in message
> If you are not a gamer you have no reason to get a
> narrow viewing angle TN panel.

I'm curious - why do you think a gamer would
have a particular reason to get a "narrow viewing
angle TN panel"?

Bob M.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2004 9:41:16 AM

> I'm curious - why do you think a gamer would
> have a particular reason to get a "narrow viewing
> angle TN panel"?

Hello Bob!
I'm just searching a "true" LCD expert... :-)

Don't distort my answer. :-\
"you have no reason to get a narrow viewing angle TN"
Don't mean that a gamer want a narrow viewing angle,
but that he put the speed over any other feature
or limitation.
You don't think the 173p PVA have better image quality
over the L1710x TN?

Talking about technical things...
A friend of mine has bought a Samsung 193p
and says hat its back-light hurt his eyes. :-(
He says to perceive a bit of flickering,
but I know Samsung use high frequency lamps.
So, what can be the problem?
Do you think 193p use some dithering?

Thanks 1K
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2004 8:07:31 PM

> Hello Bob!
> I'm just searching a "true" LCD expert... :-)
>
> Don't distort my answer. :-\
> "you have no reason to get a narrow viewing angle TN"
> Don't mean that a gamer want a narrow viewing angle,
> but that he put the speed over any other feature
> or limitation.

OK - but there's no reason to assume that the
fastest panel available will necessarily be a TN type.
In fact, some of the latest IPS and VA products are
the current response time leaders. There are also
faster designs set to enter the market in a few years
which aren't TN, either.

As to your question about flicker - I've never heard
of a case where the flickering, if any, of the backlight was
visible - unless the backlight was faulty. I couldn't
say more about your friend's case without seeing the
specific unit in question. It's also at least possible that
what he is seeing is instability in the video signal
levels, for whatever reason.

Bob M.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2004 10:33:19 AM

> OK - but there's no reason to assume that the
> fastest panel available will necessarily be a TN type.
> In fact, some of the latest IPS and VA products are
> the current response time leaders. There are also
> faster designs set to enter the market in a few years
> which aren't TN, either.

IPS and VA response time leaders? o_o

Do you mean LG.Philips S-IPS 16ms panels
starting from 20''?

....or do you mean big LCD-TV panels?

> As to your question about flicker - I've never heard
> of a case where the flickering, if any, of the backlight was
> visible - unless the backlight was faulty. I couldn't
> say more about your friend's case without seeing the
> specific unit in question. It's also at least possible that
> what he is seeing is instability in the video signal
> levels, for whatever reason.

I don't know why he perceive the flickering. :-\
Can be some intolerance to fluorescent back-light (?)

Thanks
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2004 10:00:56 PM

"SR2" <alphasoft_nospam_@libero.it> wrote in message
news:p wkQc.98639$5D1.5046103@news4.tin.it...
> > OK - but there's no reason to assume that the
> > fastest panel available will necessarily be a TN type.
> > In fact, some of the latest IPS and VA products are
> > the current response time leaders. There are also
> > faster designs set to enter the market in a few years
> > which aren't TN, either.
>
> IPS and VA response time leaders? o_o
>
> Do you mean LG.Philips S-IPS 16ms panels
> starting from 20''?

That's one example, yes - the point is that there
is no reason to assume that a TN panel is necessarily
faster than an IPS or VA type

Bob M.
August 10, 2004 3:46:41 PM

Sorry, i'm ignorant on the subject!!.
What mean TN IPS VA types?
Thanks.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2004 1:17:00 AM

"Ricardo" <x4vier@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, i'm ignorant on the subject!!.
> What mean TN IPS VA types?
> Thanks.

TN - "twisted nematic" - this is the basic operating mode for
most LCD displays, historically. In this mode, the LC
molecules are arranged in a sort of "spiral staircase" or
helical arrangement, which rotates the polarization of light
passing through the display. Putting an electrical field across
the pixel destroys (temporarily) the helical structure, and so
stops the polarization rotation - which is what switches the
light on and off.

"IPS" and "VA" refer to "in-plane switching" and "vertical
alignment," respectively, which are two completely different
LC operating modes (although they are still based on the
effect that the LC material has on the polarization of light).
They have some inherent advantages in performance, such
as better contrast and viewing angle; they are, however,
generally more complex to produce, and therefore somewhat
more costly than the basic TN types.

I won't go into the details of the IPS and VA modes here
(unless someone just can't live without it), as those explanations
(esp. without some pictures to point to) will have to be more
involved than I have time to write up at the moment.

Bob M.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2004 1:17:01 AM

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:17:00 GMT, "Bob Myers"
<nospamplease@address.invalid> wrote:

>"Ricardo" <x4vier@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry, i'm ignorant on the subject!!.
>> What mean TN IPS VA types?
>> Thanks.
>
>TN - "twisted nematic" - this is the basic operating mode for
>most LCD displays, historically. In this mode, the LC
>molecules are arranged in a sort of "spiral staircase" or
>helical arrangement, which rotates the polarization of light
>passing through the display. Putting an electrical field across
>the pixel destroys (temporarily) the helical structure, and so
>stops the polarization rotation - which is what switches the
>light on and off.
>
>"IPS" and "VA" refer to "in-plane switching" and "vertical
>alignment," respectively, which are two completely different
>LC operating modes (although they are still based on the
>effect that the LC material has on the polarization of light).
>They have some inherent advantages in performance, such
>as better contrast and viewing angle; they are, however,
>generally more complex to produce, and therefore somewhat
>more costly than the basic TN types.
>
>I won't go into the details of the IPS and VA modes here
>(unless someone just can't live without it), as those explanations
>(esp. without some pictures to point to) will have to be more
>involved than I have time to write up at the moment.
>
>Bob M.

Wow -- and I thought there was just a whole bunch of teeny tiny elves
in there with multicolored flashlights...:)

Kevin Miller

"Either way, it is bad for Zathras."
August 11, 2004 11:12:54 PM

I have to make a decision:
CTX S762G
or
Princeton Senergy714

These are 17" LCD... i suposse than TN type and have DVI input.
CTX cost $377 and princeton $412.
Is there any other option 17", DVI for this price?
Have u an opinion about any of this monitors?
Thanks.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2004 4:20:44 AM

On 11 Aug 2004 19:12:54 -0700, x4vier@yahoo.com (Ricardo) wrote:

>I have to make a decision:
>CTX S762G
>or
>Princeton Senergy714
>
>These are 17" LCD... i suposse than TN type and have DVI input.
>CTX cost $377 and princeton $412.
>Is there any other option 17", DVI for this price?
>Have u an opinion about any of this monitors?
>Thanks.

Have you done a Google search for online reviews of these two
monitors?

Kevin Miller

"Either way, it is bad for Zathras."
August 21, 2004 12:08:15 AM

> SR2wrote:
The same Samsung PVA panel with the Eizo quality:
> www.eizo.com/products/lcd/l568/index.asp

Are you sure the Eizo L568 is PVA and not S-IPS? if yes .. is there
any difference between the Samsung 173P and Eizo L568 in image
quality (are the LCD panels the same)?

I know the L568 and L768 have some features that the Samsung doesn't
(e.g. the 10bit color look up table for gamma correction,
auto-brightness, front-buttons!, etc).

I couldnt find what technology do the Eizo Lx68 family use on the Eizo
website nor anywhere else. Soome say its S-IPS since its the
successore of L567 which uses S-IPS and some say its PVA which is
totally different than IPS (ips has the cells aligned ith the
electric field and mva/pva have them perpendicular on E resulting in
different light and colors). Any links to read about the inside of
Lx68?

Thanks

==============
August 21, 2004 2:08:00 AM

Just found a mesage from a guy who spoke directly with the japanese
officials about the Lx68 family. Here is the response from Japan:

> The L568/L568-F employs the new 17-inch PVA panel and supports to
the SXGA output.
> The new panel offers 1000:1 high contrast ratio with conventional
high 250 cd/m2 brightness by expanding the low brightness area of the
panel.
> It also features wide 178° viewing angles in the horizontal and
vertical directions.
> The design of this model has been improved from the design of the
SlimEdge series to minimize bezels on all four sides by employing the
new panel.
> (Upper/Down side width: 13.4 mm, Left/Right side width: 11.1 mm)

That surely clears up the fog in my head :) . Well, i still prefer the
L568 over the Samsung 173P (i hate the absence of buttons and the too
long stand, can't put it close to a wall). Strange enough, i remember
the Eizo L567 (which uses S-IPS) to have had a better black level
than the 173P from Samsung. I code a lot and i really do *not* want a
high brightness monitor (i usually keep them at minimum brightness)
but it seems everyone else does ...

==============
August 21, 2004 6:41:26 PM

Kevin Miller <crow66@halo.net> wrote in message news:<vvrlh0ttr3tjhaqn4pomk0dsl3j3t041v9@4ax.com>...
> On 11 Aug 2004 19:12:54 -0700, x4vier@yahoo.com (Ricardo) wrote:
>
> >I have to make a decision:
> >CTX S762G
> >or
> >Princeton Senergy714
> >
> >These are 17" LCD... i suposse than TN type and have DVI input.
> >CTX cost $377 and princeton $412.
> >Is there any other option 17", DVI for this price?
> >Have u an opinion about any of this monitors?
> >Thanks.
>
> Have you done a Google search for online reviews of these two
> monitors?
Yes, a man have reviewed the princeton at Cnet and he says that is good.
The CTX have no reviews online.

> Kevin Miller
>
> "Either way, it is bad for Zathras."
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 22, 2004 6:21:04 AM

On 21 Aug 2004 14:41:26 -0700, x4vier@yahoo.com (Ricardo) wrote:

>Kevin Miller <crow66@halo.net> wrote in message news:<vvrlh0ttr3tjhaqn4pomk0dsl3j3t041v9@4ax.com>...
>> On 11 Aug 2004 19:12:54 -0700, x4vier@yahoo.com (Ricardo) wrote:
>>
>> >I have to make a decision:
>> >CTX S762G
>> >or
>> >Princeton Senergy714
>> >
>> >These are 17" LCD... i suposse than TN type and have DVI input.
>> >CTX cost $377 and princeton $412.
>> >Is there any other option 17", DVI for this price?
>> >Have u an opinion about any of this monitors?
>> >Thanks.
>>
>> Have you done a Google search for online reviews of these two
>> monitors?
>Yes, a man have reviewed the princeton at Cnet and he says that is good.
>The CTX have no reviews online.

Really? Here's one:

Kevin Miller

"Either way, it is bad for Zathras."
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 26, 2004 6:28:17 AM

On 25 Aug 2004 23:18:29 -0700, x4vier@yahoo.com (Ricardo) wrote:

>> Really? Here's one:

>> Kevin Miller
>>
>> "Either way, it is bad for Zathras."
>
>And it says than CTX is a bad monitor..

Heh -- I didn't say what the reviewer's opinion was, only that there
*was* a review out there...:)

!