graphics cards vs video cards

why are graphics cards way more expensive than video cards, even
though they have slower core and memory speeds?

I believe "Graphics cards and "video cards" are the same thing.

"b" <bruin70@mail.com> wrote in message
> why are graphics cards way more expensive than video cards, even
> though they have slower core and memory speeds?

Huh?

Graphics cards = Video Cards.

Two different names for the same thing.

--
DaveW

"b" <bruin70@mail.com> wrote in message
> why are graphics cards way more expensive than video cards, even
> though they have slower core and memory speeds?

> Huh?
>
> Graphics cards = Video Cards.
>
> Two different names for the same thing.

you guyz didn't think i thought that?:):):):)

check out http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=48&DEPA=0

and pull down the chipset filter for,,,the nvidia geforce(video card)
vs. their quadro(graphics card). and you can check out their features.
the quadro is their "graphics card", and their geoforce is mainly for
gaming. and go to the ati site
http://www.ati.com/products/workstation.html ,,, and check out their
radeon(gaming/multimedia) vs, their fire gl(graphics)

and, oh btw,,,,check out the core/memory speeds for each grouping and
see how much more you have to pay for the ati and nvidia GRAPHICS
CARDS.

b wrote:

>> Huh?
>>
>> Graphics cards = Video Cards.
>>
>> Two different names for the same thing.
>

> you guyz didn't think i thought that?:):):):)
>
> check out http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=48&DEPA=0
>
> and pull down the chipset filter for,,,the nvidia geforce(video card)
> vs. their quadro(graphics card). and you can check out their features.
> the quadro is their "graphics card", and their geoforce is mainly for
> gaming. and go to the ati site
> http://www.ati.com/products/workstation.html ,,, and check out their
> radeon(gaming/multimedia) vs, their fire gl(graphics)
>
> and, oh btw,,,,check out the core/memory speeds for each grouping and
> see how much more you have to pay for the ati and nvidia GRAPHICS
> CARDS.

I'm sorry, but you are very confused. The distinction you are making is
between consumer video and workstation video. They're both video boards,
they're both graphics boards, in some cases one can be turned into the
other simply by rewriting the onboard firmware.

The workstation boards are more expensive mainly because they can be--the
Boeings of the world are willing to pay a premium for them and would be
suspicious if the price was too low. Some of the passive components are of
higher quality resulting in greater sharpness at high resolution, and the
workstation boards are optimized in one way or another for OpenGL vs
DirectX for the consumer boards, also the workstation boards are more
likely to have dual DVI, but beyond that they aren't much different.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)