repair an old solo 2500

Greetings,
My solo 2500 decided today not to recognize the hard drive. I reseated it
and
had the same experience. Replaced the drive with a known good drive and it
did
the same thing. When I tried to have the bios auto discover the drive it
would hang.
Still, no joy. Called gateway support. They had no ideas other than
sending it in
for repair at $300 plus tax. Thinking maybe the bios was screwy, I
downloaded
and flashed the current bios for the unit (got it from gateway for my exact
machine).
Now the machine will automatically shutdown after a couple of minutes.

Any ideas ? Any good inexpensive repair places ?

thanks,
Darryl
2 answers Last reply
More about repair solo 2500

    Try reseating the memory modules and CPU.

    "Darryl" <darryl@osborne-ind.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    > My solo 2500 decided today not to recognize the hard drive. I reseated
    it
    > and
    > had the same experience. Replaced the drive with a known good drive and
    it
    > did
    > the same thing. When I tried to have the bios auto discover the drive it
    > would hang.
    > Still, no joy. Called gateway support. They had no ideas other than
    > sending it in
    > for repair at $300 plus tax. Thinking maybe the bios was screwy, I
    > downloaded
    > and flashed the current bios for the unit (got it from gateway for my
    exact
    > machine).
    > Now the machine will automatically shutdown after a couple of minutes.
    >
    > Any ideas ? Any good inexpensive repair places ?
    >

    > thanks,
    > Darryl

    that didn't help at all.
    thanks for the suggestion though.

    -Darryl

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
    > Try reseating the memory modules and CPU.
    >

    > "Darryl" <darryl@osborne-ind.com> wrote in message
    > > Greetings,
    > > My solo 2500 decided today not to recognize the hard drive. I reseated
    > it
    > > and
    > > had the same experience. Replaced the drive with a known good drive and
    > it
    > > did
    > > the same thing. When I tried to have the bios auto discover the drive
    it
    > > would hang.
    > > Still, no joy. Called gateway support. They had no ideas other than
    > > sending it in
    > > for repair at $300 plus tax. Thinking maybe the bios was screwy, I
    > > downloaded
    > > and flashed the current bios for the unit (got it from gateway for my
    > exact
    > > machine).
    > > Now the machine will automatically shutdown after a couple of minutes.
    > >
    > > Any ideas ? Any good inexpensive repair places ?
    > >

    > > thanks,
    > > Darryl

Gateway BIOS Computers