19" LCD Monitor For Gamers

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Hi All,

I'm looking for a 19" LCD monitor that is capable of keeping up with
games: i.e., UT2004, DOOM3, Quake 3 Arena, etc. Does such a monitor
exist yet?

Thanks.

"Robert Nurse" <rnurse@cudbytech.net> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for a 19" LCD monitor that is capable of keeping up with
> games: i.e., UT2004, DOOM3, Quake 3 Arena, etc. Does such a monitor
> exist yet?

Yes. There are alot of monitors with 20ms or better response time, which
is the most critical factor for games. Read some reviews of monitors,
there are plenty out there. Contrast ratio is also a secondary concern for
games, particularly games that are dark in nature. 300:1 contrast is
acceptable, but 500:1 or better is preferable.

One thing you have to watch out for on bigger LCD's is screen brightness
uniformity. On bigger LCD's, there tends to be more hotspots for brightness
than on a smaller one.

Also, keep in mind a 19 inch LCD monitor is going to be 1280x1024, most
likely, which is not a 4:3 resolution (5:4). This means that any game you
play that is 800x600 or 1024x768 will be slightly vertically stretched.
One way around this is to get a DVI monitor and have the video card output a
fixed aspect ratio image (via the drivers). Most games now days support
1280x1024, only a rare few like Battlefield do not, and some strategy games
still do not.

"magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> writes:

> One way around this is to get a DVI monitor and have the video card output a
> fixed aspect ratio image (via the drivers).

Can anyone explain how to do this with ATI Catalyst drivers? I've
looked through the display settings tabs several times, and I can't
seem to find any way to achieve this.

Thanks,

Nick

--
# sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')

"Nick Vargish" <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote in message
> Can anyone explain how to do this with ATI Catalyst drivers? I've
> looked through the display settings tabs several times, and I can't
> seem to find any way to achieve this.

It should be under Display Properties>Displays>FPD . Click on that and it
should give you the options for the monitor.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

"magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> writes:

> It should be under Display Properties>Displays>FPD . Click on that and it
> should give you the options for the monitor.

Thanks, I'll check it out when I get home.

Nick

--
# sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

None with fast enough screen response times (most are still 25 msec).

--
DaveW

"Robert Nurse" <rnurse@cudbytech.net> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm looking for a 19" LCD monitor that is capable of keeping up with
> games: i.e., UT2004, DOOM3, Quake 3 Arena, etc. Does such a monitor
> exist yet?
>
> Thanks.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Viewsonic 19" VX910 has a response time of 16msec.
Just bought it a few days ago, it seems to play all games pretty well.

Lee

rnurse@cudbytech.net (Robert Nurse) wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I'm looking for a 19" LCD monitor that is capable of keeping up with
>games: i.e., UT2004, DOOM3, Quake 3 Arena, etc. Does such a monitor
>exist yet?

Hope you have the ma$$ive video card to play Doom 3 @ 1280x1024...
See hardocp.com for what I'm taling about...

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

> None with fast enough screen response times (most are still 25 msec).

BenQ FP937s has 12ms panel

Other 12/16ms 19'' are coming...

chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> writes:

> Hope you have the ma$$ive video card to play Doom 3 @ 1280x1024...
> See hardocp.com for what I'm taling about...

I get smooth graphics at the 'High' setting at 1280x1024 on my 3 Ghz,
1 Gb, 9800 Pro system. Just edit the config file and set the anistropic
filtering to '0' for a major boost to framerates. (HardOCP recommended
Medium @ 1024x768 for my rig.)

Nick

--
# sigmask || 0.2 || 20030107 || public domain || feed this to a python
print reduce(lambda x,y:x+chr(ord(y)-1),' Ojdl!Wbshjti!=obwAcboefstobudi/psh?')

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I searched around and I have found some 19" LCDs
that fit the bill. But most of them aren't as bright and contrast
aren't as I'd like. Take for example the Viewsonic 201b or the Benq
FP2091. The response times are great (16ms). But Brightness (250
cd/m2) and Contrast Ratio (400:1) could be better. Do you know of any
that beat these specs AND have good response times? I'm going to take
a trip down to my local Best Buy and see if I can look at one.
Perhaps they'll let me install a game so I can see how the monitor
holds up.

"magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<nn9Qc.4449$Mg1.446@bignews4.bellsouth.net>...
> "Robert Nurse" <rnurse@cudbytech.net> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm looking for a 19" LCD monitor that is capable of keeping up with
> > games: i.e., UT2004, DOOM3, Quake 3 Arena, etc. Does such a monitor
> > exist yet?
>
> Yes. There are alot of monitors with 20ms or better response time, which
> is the most critical factor for games. Read some reviews of monitors,
> there are plenty out there. Contrast ratio is also a secondary concern for
> games, particularly games that are dark in nature. 300:1 contrast is
> acceptable, but 500:1 or better is preferable.
>
> One thing you have to watch out for on bigger LCD's is screen brightness
> uniformity. On bigger LCD's, there tends to be more hotspots for brightness
> than on a smaller one.
>
> Also, keep in mind a 19 inch LCD monitor is going to be 1280x1024, most
> likely, which is not a 4:3 resolution (5:4). This means that any game you
> play that is 800x600 or 1024x768 will be slightly vertically stretched.
> One way around this is to get a DVI monitor and have the video card output a
> fixed aspect ratio image (via the drivers). Most games now days support
> 1280x1024, only a rare few like Battlefield do not, and some strategy games
> still do not.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

What do you think of this one?
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx910/#specs
It's not a 20-incher. But 19" is good enough for me and the price is
great: $749 MSRP.

On 5 Aug 2004 11:31:58 -0700, rnurse@cudbytech.net (Robert Nurse)
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Thanks for the info. I searched around and I have found some 19" LCDs
>that fit the bill. But most of them aren't as bright and contrast
>aren't as I'd like. Take for example the Viewsonic 201b or the Benq
>FP2091. The response times are great (16ms). But Brightness (250
>cd/m2) and Contrast Ratio (400:1) could be better. Do you know of any
>that beat these specs AND have good response times? I'm going to take
>a trip down to my local Best Buy and see if I can look at one.
>Perhaps they'll let me install a game so I can see how the monitor
>holds up.

I guess the brightness and contrast are a matter of personal choice
and user environment. The VP201B has plenty of both for me in a fairly
well-lit room.

Kevin Miller

"Either way, it is bad for Zathras."

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Viewsonic VX910 looks terrific while playing Doom3

magiclee

Kevin Miller wrote:
> On 5 Aug 2004 11:31:58 -0700, rnurse@cudbytech.net (Robert Nurse)
> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Thanks for the info. I searched around and I have found some 19" LCDs
>>that fit the bill. But most of them aren't as bright and contrast
>>aren't as I'd like. Take for example the Viewsonic 201b or the Benq
>>FP2091. The response times are great (16ms). But Brightness (250
>>cd/m2) and Contrast Ratio (400:1) could be better. Do you know of any
>>that beat these specs AND have good response times? I'm going to take
>>a trip down to my local Best Buy and see if I can look at one.
>>Perhaps they'll let me install a game so I can see how the monitor
>>holds up.
>

> I guess the brightness and contrast are a matter of personal choice
> and user environment. The VP201B has plenty of both for me in a fairly
> well-lit room.
>
> Kevin Miller
>
> "Either way, it is bad for Zathras."

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

There is a $100 Rebate on the Viewsonic VX910 untill 8/28

magiclee

Robert Nurse wrote:
> What do you think of this one?
> http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx910/#specs
> It's not a 20-incher. But 19" is good enough for me and the price is
> great: $749 MSRP.
>

> "magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<nn9Qc.4449$Mg1.446@bignews4.bellsouth.net>...
>
>>"Robert Nurse" <rnurse@cudbytech.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>I'm looking for a 19" LCD monitor that is capable of keeping up with
>>>games: i.e., UT2004, DOOM3, Quake 3 Arena, etc. Does such a monitor
>>>exist yet?
>>
>> Yes. There are alot of monitors with 20ms or better response time, which
>>is the most critical factor for games. Read some reviews of monitors,
>>there are plenty out there. Contrast ratio is also a secondary concern for
>>games, particularly games that are dark in nature. 300:1 contrast is
>>acceptable, but 500:1 or better is preferable.
>>
>> One thing you have to watch out for on bigger LCD's is screen brightness
>>uniformity. On bigger LCD's, there tends to be more hotspots for brightness
>>than on a smaller one.
>>
>> Also, keep in mind a 19 inch LCD monitor is going to be 1280x1024, most
>>likely, which is not a 4:3 resolution (5:4). This means that any game you
>>play that is 800x600 or 1024x768 will be slightly vertically stretched.
>>One way around this is to get a DVI monitor and have the video card output a
>>fixed aspect ratio image (via the drivers). Most games now days support
>>1280x1024, only a rare few like Battlefield do not, and some strategy games
>>still do not.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

Nick Vargish <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote:

>chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> writes:
>
>> Hope you have the ma$$ive video card to play Doom 3 @ 1280x1024...
>> See hardocp.com for what I'm taling about...
>
>I get smooth graphics at the 'High' setting at 1280x1024 on my 3 Ghz,
>1 Gb, 9800 Pro system. Just edit the config file and set the anistropic
>filtering to '0' for a major boost to framerates. (HardOCP recommended
>Medium @ 1024x768 for my rig.)

They recommend Medium @ 800x600 for my 3GHz system with lowly 9500
Pro. 8) I'll give it a try this weekend. (Hope this game rocks, as
we've been waiting long enough for it...)

wrote:

>Take for example the Viewsonic 201b or the Benq
>FP2091. The response times are great (16ms). But Brightness (250
>cd/m2) and Contrast Ratio (400:1) could be better.

I've got a 201b and it is great. Resolution there is 1600x1200,
though. Make sure you get a vid card that will allow you to override
monitor scaling... will come in handy with Doom 3.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On 5 Aug 2004 12:06:23 -0700, rnurse@cudbytech.net (Robert Nurse)
wrote:

>What do you think of this one?
>http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplays/xseries/vx910/#specs
>It's not a 20-incher. But 19" is good enough for me and the price is
>great: $749 MSRP.

Depends on what native resolution you want. 19" is 1280 x 1024...
same as the 17" monitors. Move to the 20" and your resolution
increases to 1600 x 1200... a nice difference.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 08:16:18 -0500, chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>Hope you have the ma$$ive video card to play Doom 3 @ 1280x1024...
>See hardocp.com for what I'm taling about...

Using a Nvidia card and DVI you don't have to run at full resolution,
while also bypassing the monitor scaling. It just runs in a smaller
window. I like this better than scaling. So I'm able to run in
1024x768 in "native" resolution with my 20" Viewsonic.

ATI cards cant do this, by the way.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 13:52:26 -0400, "magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>One way around this is to get a DVI monitor and have the video card output a
>fixed aspect ratio image (via the drivers).

Not with an ATI card, only nVidia.

redbrick

Distinguished
May 18, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

The Sony SDM-P232w/B for sure!!!!

Redbrick..who Loves his CLK

In article <a967f5b9.0408040942.5a657d49@posting.google.com>,
rnurse@cudbytech.net says...

>Hi All,
>
>I'm looking for a 19" LCD monitor that is capable of keeping up with
>games: i.e., UT2004, DOOM3, Quake 3 Arena, etc. Does such a monitor
>exist yet?
>
>Thanks.

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

> 19" is 1280 x 1024...
> same as the 17" monitors. Move to the 20" and your resolution
> increases to 1600 x 1200... a nice difference.

nice, assuming your PC and grx card can keep up.