How about a PG-rated GTA:SA?

I want my kid to be able to roam around San Andreas but there's too
many 4-letter words being spewed on the streets.

Does anyone know of a mod that will supress the bad language? I
think that would be a great mod for the parents out there who want to
show off the technology of GTA:SA.
63 answers Last reply
More about rated

    Jebus Saves wrote:

    > So you have no problem with your 4 year old shooting, stabbing and running
    > over people or beating them with a golf club or baseball bat but a few curse
    > words bother you? Buy the kid a Spongebob game and keep the adult games off
    > limits.

    My kid plays GTA3 and Vice City under the condition that if they hurt
    or run over someone, or their car is damaged to the point of blowing
    up, then it's MY turn to drive. :) So it's basically just a big city
    playground to explore. There is no other game like that, Spongebob
    doesn't cut it.

    >There may be a mod available but why bother when the
    > kid will still see random violence in the game even if he doesn't shoot
    > anyone himself.

    Yeah the random violence is bad, but if there's a cheat to make all
    the pedestrians extra-violent it doesn't seem unreasonable there should
    be a cheat or mod to make them all passive.

    Basically all the mod would need to do is supress either all the
    R-rated pedestrian audio, or even all the pedestrian audio entirely,
    and also make the pedestrians docile.

    I'm still waiting for Entire Earth Simulator 1.0. ;)

    Mr. Stabby wrote:
    > I want my kid to be able to roam around San Andreas but there's too
    > many 4-letter words being spewed on the streets.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a mod that will supress the bad language? I
    > think that would be a great mod for the parents out there who want to
    > show off the technology of GTA:SA.

    yeah, it's called a volume knob.....just turn off the sound and turn on
    your home radio........either that or just get --> The Simpsons, Hit &
    Run......Quite PG

    Chris, have you seen The Simpsons Hit and Run? It's more or less
    exactly what you are asking for - a kids version of GTA. Funny dialog
    but no swearing and pedestrians get bowled over but not squished.

    cheers,
    TW

    "Mr. Stabby" <control_z@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > I want my kid to be able to roam around San Andreas but there's too
    > many 4-letter words being spewed on the streets.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a mod that will supress the bad language? I
    > think that would be a great mod for the parents out there who want to
    > show off the technology of GTA:SA.

    So you have no problem with your 4 year old shooting, stabbing and running
    over people or beating them with a golf club or baseball bat but a few curse
    words bother you? Buy the kid a Spongebob game and keep the adult games off
    limits. I don't mean to attack you but this is a base problem in our country
    whereas we have a tyranny of the 7 year olds that allows nutjobs to take
    away our freedom of speech on TV, Radio and Video Games. Your 4 year old
    should not be allowed to play game that promotes violence. If he want's to
    drive, buy a racing game for him. Taking out the curse words is a joke,
    violence is much more damaging to a child than seeing a naked woman or
    hearing curse words. There may be a mod available but why bother when the
    kid will still see random violence in the game even if he doesn't shoot
    anyone himself.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "Mr. Stabby" <control_z@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > I want my kid to be able to roam around San Andreas but there's too
    > many 4-letter words being spewed on the streets.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a mod that will supress the bad language? I
    > think that would be a great mod for the parents out there who want to
    > show off the technology of GTA:SA.

    I'm with you, we had a thread about the same thing a while ago. It's a shame
    that my 5-year old can't have a go, all he wants to do is go around in cars
    and planes and things, but I can't let him even watch me play San Andreas
    because everyone from CJ to the pedestrians are effing and blinding every
    time they open their mouths.

    A "no swearing" option would be great, maybe even an option to put the game
    into "kid mode", where the more violent and profane bits were left out, and
    actual missions couldn't be accessed. Then a kid could roam around having
    fun in the vehicles and so on without encountering anything inappropriate.

    People might answer this thread by saying, "If you don't want your kids to
    hear the swearing, don't let them play an adult game," but that's not the
    point. The trouble is that there's nothing else on the market that
    approaches the same sort of roaming fun and scope of vehicles and places to
    discover. Kids love exploring, and a game like San Andreas is brilliant for
    doing that.

    I imagine changing some of the pedestrian speech files would be a start, and
    maybe re-skinning the people so the kids are shooting at robots or something
    instead of people. Take out the hookers and blood and stuff, get rid of the
    missions, and there's probably a child-friendly game in there somewhere.

    Maybe some clever person could figure out a mod that would make it possible
    for kids to have a go. I wouldn't know where to start myself.

    In the meantime I'm having to play the game with headphones on in case I
    inadvertently teach my little tykes some new words!

    Cheers

    Chris
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "Jebus Saves" <GeorgeWBush@drunkdrivingcokeheadedAWOLcowards.com> wrote in
    message news:7zBre.1018$jF3.738@news02.roc.ny...
    > "Mr. Stabby" <control_z@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I want my kid to be able to roam around San Andreas but there's too
    >> many 4-letter words being spewed on the streets.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a mod that will supress the bad language? I
    >> think that would be a great mod for the parents out there who want to
    >> show off the technology of GTA:SA.
    >>

    > So you have no problem with your 4 year old shooting, stabbing and running
    > over people or beating them with a golf club or baseball bat but a few
    > curse words bother you? Buy the kid a Spongebob game and keep the adult
    > games off limits. I don't mean to attack you but this is a base problem in
    > our country whereas we have a tyranny of the 7 year olds that allows
    > nutjobs to take away our freedom of speech on TV, Radio and Video Games.
    > Your 4 year old should not be allowed to play game that promotes violence.
    > If he want's to drive, buy a racing game for him. Taking out the curse
    > words is a joke, violence is much more damaging to a child than seeing a
    > naked woman or hearing curse words. There may be a mod available but why
    > bother when the kid will still see random violence in the game even if he
    > doesn't shoot anyone himself.

    I'm amused the idea of your country being run by the "tyranny of the 7 year
    olds". It sounds like an episode of "The Twilight Zone".
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm assuming that your country is the United States?

    yes, I understand that in other countries they have cursing and nudity on
    regular TV without their children bringing guns to school and blowing off
    their classmates heads. These whackos here are trying to get cable and
    sattelite TV and Radio regulated as well because some 7 year old might turn
    on the TV and order cable or pay movies and see a boobie. It's insane what
    Christians do to force their values on everyone else. Ratings regulate what
    the general public consider decent or indecent. If they find it offensive
    then they dont watch it and the ratings go away and no station is going to
    keep a show with bad ratings.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "Mr. Stabby" wrote:

    > Jebus Saves wrote:
    > >
    > > So you have no problem with your 4 year old shooting, stabbing and running
    > > over people or beating them with a golf club or baseball bat but a few curse
    > > words bother you? Buy the kid a Spongebob game and keep the adult games off
    > > limits.
    >
    > My kid plays GTA3 and Vice City under the condition that if they hurt
    > or run over someone, or their car is damaged to the point of blowing
    > up, then it's MY turn to drive. :) So it's basically just a big city
    > playground to explore. There is no other game like that, Spongebob
    > doesn't cut it.
    >
    > >There may be a mod available but why bother when the
    > > kid will still see random violence in the game even if he doesn't shoot
    > > anyone himself.
    >
    > Yeah the random violence is bad, but if there's a cheat to make all
    > the pedestrians extra-violent it doesn't seem unreasonable there should
    > be a cheat or mod to make them all passive.
    >
    > Basically all the mod would need to do is supress either all the
    > R-rated pedestrian audio, or even all the pedestrian audio entirely,
    > and also make the pedestrians docile.
    >
    > I'm still waiting for Entire Earth Simulator 1.0. ;)

    the easiest answer, though a little sloppy, is simply to turn the
    sound off. I know it's not a perfect answer but it works. You can just
    make up your own soundtrack as you go along. My favourite is "Do you
    mind if I borrow your car? No? How kind of you."
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look

    Bobo wrote:

    > Mr. Stabby wrote:
    > > I want my kid to be able to roam around San Andreas but there's too
    > > many 4-letter words being spewed on the streets.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of a mod that will supress the bad language? I
    > > think that would be a great mod for the parents out there who want to
    > > show off the technology of GTA:SA.

    The Simpsons, Hit &
    > Run......Quite PG

    tried that, they retained some interest for a while but it soon wears
    thin. The problem is you can't compare SA to Hit & Run, at best it's a
    kid's version of GTA3 as there are no bikes or flying thingies.
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Bobo wrote:
    >>
    >> Mr. Stabby wrote:
    >> > I want my kid to be able to roam around San Andreas but there's too
    >> > many 4-letter words being spewed on the streets.
    >> >
    >> > Does anyone know of a mod that will supress the bad language? I
    >> > think that would be a great mod for the parents out there who want to
    >> > show off the technology of GTA:SA.
    >> >
    > The Simpsons, Hit &
    >> Run......Quite PG
    >
    > tried that, they retained some interest for a while but it soon wears
    > thin. The problem is you can't compare SA to Hit & Run, at best it's a
    > kid's version of GTA3 as there are no bikes or flying thingies.
    > --
    > Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")

    You're spot on - kids appreciate the physics engine and wide variety in the
    GTA series. Simply turning the sound off doesn't cut it for many reasons.
    It surely shouldn't be that hard to turn off the ability to damage other
    actors (i.e. pedestrians etc.), and turn off the guns to leave you with a
    driving/exploring game.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Schrodinger wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Bobo wrote:

    > > The Simpsons, Hit &
    > >> Run......Quite PG
    > >
    > > tried that, they retained some interest for a while but it soon wears
    > > thin. The problem is you can't compare SA to Hit & Run, at best it's a
    > > kid's version of GTA3 as there are no bikes or flying thingies.
    > > --
    > > Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    >
    > You're spot on - kids appreciate the physics engine and wide variety in the
    > GTA series. Simply turning the sound off doesn't cut it for many reasons.
    > It surely shouldn't be that hard to turn off the ability to damage other
    > actors (i.e. pedestrians etc.), and turn off the guns to leave you with a
    > driving/exploring game.

    It probably never crossed RS's minds but maybe someone will think
    something up.

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Thanks for mentioning The Simpsons game though, I think you're right
    that
    it's probably the best alternative available at the moment.

    Hi Chris,

    Yep, I know exactly what you mean about little boys, I have a 6 year
    old myself. It's a difficult balance between letting them do what they
    seem to naturally enjoy (all the rough stuff) while at the same time
    keeping it tasteful and keeping them away from the worst excesses.
    That's why I like the Simpsons game - it seems to have struck just the
    right balance. My lad goes crashing through fences knocking people
    over, with a big cry of 'ooooohh' and lots of laughter, but it's all
    presented in a slapstick, cartoon style rather than trying to be
    realistic with spurting blood, etc.

    cheers,
    TW
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    >>yes, I understand that in other countries they have cursing and nudity on
    regular TV without their children bringing guns to school and blowing
    off
    their classmates heads. These whackos here are trying to get cable and
    sattelite TV and Radio regulated as well because some 7 year old might
    turn
    on the TV and order cable or pay movies and see a boobie

    As a kind of angular spin off to this discussion - I find it quite,
    well, 'interesting' that the level of conversation in this NG is
    generally very friendly with few flamewars, backbiting, insults etc.
    Much better than the usenet average, imo. I don't post much on other
    groups because I find the level of disrespect in most NG's rather
    depressing.

    So there we are, all fans of this outrageously violent game and we have
    one of the most civilised discussion groups. Maybe it's because we all
    work out our anger on the Ballas instead? One for the social scientists
    to ponder.

    cheers,
    TW
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "tonewheel" <tonewheeljackson@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Chris, have you seen The Simpsons Hit and Run? It's more or less
    > exactly what you are asking for - a kids version of GTA. Funny dialog
    > but no swearing and pedestrians get bowled over but not squished.
    >
    > cheers,
    > TW

    Hi TW

    Yes, I got that for this exact reason, and my little fella does like playing
    it. The trouble is that the GTA games are so much better in so many ways.
    Loads more vehicles, loads more freedom to roam etc. Not to mention that as
    a little boy, he basically just wants to be like Daddy, so when he sees that
    I'm playing a new game he wants a go as well.

    We used to play on SWAT3 together, and there was a "no blood" option on that
    which was good, plus the fact that we were playing goodies and the baddies
    were so obviously bad. There were about two uses of the word "bastards" in
    that game, but other than that it was cool for him to watch. SWAT4 is a
    different kettle of fish though, much more adult in its themes and language,
    so that's another one I can't involve him in.

    It might be a boy thing. Little boys don't always want to play Spongebob
    Squarepants or Play And Learn, they want to play Star Wars, sword fights,
    gun fights, that sort of thing. I'm sure most of the blokes here will
    remember what they liked to play when they were little, and I bet most of us
    wouldn't say that our favourite games were educational ones. Even when we
    played with our Lego town, me and my brother usually ended up staging some
    sort of war or something.

    Thanks for mentioning The Simpsons game though, I think you're right that
    it's probably the best alternative available at the moment.

    Cheers

    Chris
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "Jebus Saves" <GeorgeWBush@drunkdrivingcokeheadedAWOLcowards.com> wrote in
    message news:HuDre.763$yg4.194@news01.roc.ny...

    > "Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote in message
    >>> I'm assuming that your country is the United States?
    >>

    > yes, I understand that in other countries they have cursing and nudity on
    > regular TV without their children bringing guns to school and blowing off
    > their classmates heads. These whackos here are trying to get cable and
    > sattelite TV and Radio regulated as well because some 7 year old might
    > turn on the TV and order cable or pay movies and see a boobie. It's insane
    > what Christians do to force their values on everyone else. Ratings
    > regulate what the general public consider decent or indecent. If they find
    > it offensive then they dont watch it and the ratings go away and no
    > station is going to keep a show with bad ratings.

    You're right there IMHO, the problems that make people go crazy with guns
    aren't caused by them watching TV, no matter how much the right-wing press
    tries to make it look like that. In the UK last year a teenager killed
    another kid with a hammer, and The Daily Mail (very right-wing, "send 'em
    back where they came from" type of paper) ran a headline that said "BAN
    THESE EVIL GAMES", simply because the kid had played Manhunt at some point
    before the killing.

    I don't think anyone needs a video game to tell them that if you hit someone
    about the head with a hammer they are going to get hurt. If you're the sort
    of person who's going to do that anyway it doesn't matter if you're out
    making daisy chains or playing GTA, you're still going to do it.

    Have you seen "Bowling For Columbine"? I know Michael Moore goes overboard,
    but there is some interesting discussion about why the USA in particular has
    a problem with gun crime in it.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Bobo wrote:
    >>
    >> Mr. Stabby wrote:
    >> > I want my kid to be able to roam around San Andreas but there's too
    >> > many 4-letter words being spewed on the streets.
    >> >
    >> > Does anyone know of a mod that will supress the bad language? I
    >> > think that would be a great mod for the parents out there who want to
    >> > show off the technology of GTA:SA.
    >> >
    > The Simpsons, Hit &
    >> Run......Quite PG
    >
    > tried that, they retained some interest for a while but it soon wears
    > thin. The problem is you can't compare SA to Hit & Run, at best it's a
    > kid's version of GTA3 as there are no bikes or flying thingies.
    > --

    I think that kids are more sophisticated than some people give them credit
    for. My five-year old can see the great qualities of the GTA games. He
    recognises the same feeling of freedom to roam around a glorious 3D
    environment in just the same way that an adult does, it's just the adult
    themed bits and the language that means he can't have a go.

    I had the same experience with The Simpsons Hit and Run. He liked it, just
    not as much as he would like a GTA game. GTA games are just a lot better
    than the Simpsons game. It's like getting a kid who likes tennis to play
    ping pong. Basically the same idea, but also utterly different.

    Mind you, you know what would happen if Rockstar released a child-friendly
    version. The press would be all over them saying it's like selling candy
    cigarettes to children so that they can practice smoking. It wouldn't, of
    course, but they would probably say that.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Chris Wright wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Bobo wrote:

    > > The Simpsons, Hit &
    > >> Run......Quite PG
    > >
    > > tried that, they retained some interest for a while but it soon wears
    > > thin. The problem is you can't compare SA to Hit & Run, at best it's a
    > > kid's version of GTA3 as there are no bikes or flying thingies.
    > > --
    >
    > I think that kids are more sophisticated than some people give them credit
    > for. My five-year old can see the great qualities of the GTA games. He
    > recognises the same feeling of freedom to roam around a glorious 3D
    > environment in just the same way that an adult does, it's just the adult
    > themed bits and the language that means he can't have a go.

    I agree they're in a different class to us. My grandkids get tied of
    kids games so quickly. Even Shrek 2, which is one of their favourite
    films, quickly fell by the wayside.

    They have played all three of the 3d GTAs, but with SA I put some firm
    rules in place including no sound. Let's put it this way, the littlest
    calls it 'The Girlfriend Game' and basically we just team up and go
    walkabouts, causing occasional mayhem but generally just finding high
    things to jump off etc. She's as happy as a mudlark and is easily able
    to recognise landmarks etc.

    > I had the same experience with The Simpsons Hit and Run. He liked it, just
    > not as much as he would like a GTA game. GTA games are just a lot better
    > than the Simpsons game. It's like getting a kid who likes tennis to play
    > ping pong. Basically the same idea, but also utterly different.

    I found the levels on the Hit & Run to be the biggest problem. They
    want to roam freely through all levels, not have to load and unload
    stuff. i think the actual detail of the levels is pretty sparse too,
    though it was the best Simpsons game by far

    > Mind you, you know what would happen if Rockstar released a child-friendly
    > version. The press would be all over them saying it's like selling candy
    > cigarettes to children so that they can practice smoking. It wouldn't, of
    > course, but they would probably say that.

    Yup, no doubt about it.

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    >>>yes, I understand that in other countries they have cursing and nudity on
    > regular TV without their children bringing guns to school and blowing
    > off
    > their classmates heads. These whackos here are trying to get cable and
    > sattelite TV and Radio regulated as well because some 7 year old might
    > turn
    > on the TV and order cable or pay movies and see a boobie
    >>>

    > As a kind of angular spin off to this discussion - I find it quite,
    > well, 'interesting' that the level of conversation in this NG is
    > generally very friendly with few flamewars, backbiting, insults etc.
    > Much better than the usenet average, imo. I don't post much on other
    > groups because I find the level of disrespect in most NG's rather
    > depressing.
    >
    > So there we are, all fans of this outrageously violent game and we have
    > one of the most civilised discussion groups. Maybe it's because we all
    > work out our anger on the Ballas instead? One for the social scientists
    > to ponder.
    >
    > cheers,
    > TW

    It is generally friendlier and more constructive than the others I've been
    on. You still get the odd idiot, but far fewer than on other NGs in my
    experience. That's why this is the only NG I visit on anything likea regular
    basis.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    > I want my kid to be able to roam around San Andreas but there's too
    > many 4-letter words being spewed on the streets.

    You think that's bad - my little one thinks the whole point of Halo is to
    find the "clever bar staff" that Kourtana speaks of during the evacuation of
    the ship at the start of the game.

    I have to cough every time she says it in case he repeats it at school.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    In message <42AF53A1.B3CF8EA2@blueyonder.co.uk>
    Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    > It probably never crossed RS's minds but maybe someone will think
    > something up.

    In the original GTA there was a cheatcode ('IAMGARYPENN') that turns on
    the *really* harsh language. I assume that DMA Design (Now R*) weren't
    too sure how the public would react at what was then a really rude game.

    Cheers,
    Rob
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Rob White wrote:

    > In message <42AF53A1.B3CF8EA2@blueyonder.co.uk>
    > Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > > It probably never crossed RS's minds but maybe someone will think
    > > something up.
    >
    > In the original GTA there was a cheatcode ('IAMGARYPENN') that turns on
    > the *really* harsh language. I assume that DMA Design (Now R*) weren't
    > too sure how the public would react at what was then a really rude game.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Rob
    > --
    > .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
    > | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
    > | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.

    really? I never knew that. Now THAT was an engrossing game
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Chris Wright wrote:
    I would happily use a $1000 bullet to protect my family from an armed
    > robber, but if I was a maniac on the loose in a school I wouldn't be able to
    > afford to take out many people, would I?

    They would just buy 'as good as' bullets off the internet.

    I don't know about America, but just a couple of hundred yards from
    our house there is a small tunnel leading under the metro station. A
    group of sailors, on shore leave from HMS Illustrious, had been for a
    night out and were returning late at night to ship when they were
    accosted in the tunnel by a group of 8 to 14 year olds. The kids asked
    for cigarettes and when the sailors refused they started throwing
    things at them and eventually knocked one guy to the floor, continuing
    to pelt him while his friends protected him. Back at his home base the
    guy has a fractured skull. He's been all over the world, into war
    zones and he comes to a place where his ship is supposed to be
    welcomed with open arms only to be seriously injured by children.

    Video games didn't do this, nor did religion. Total lack of respect
    and absolutely no care for a fellow human being is what took place.
    people always seem to be looking for ways to make young people more
    free, while not considering just how those freedoms effect the rest of
    us. The kids here stand and swear at the police, they don't give a
    damn.

    I think Moore may, as you said, have a heavy hand but he is spot on
    most of the time. I would dread to think what our kids would be like
    if guns were on open sale

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    > I think Moore may, as you said, have a heavy hand but he is spot on
    > most of the time. I would dread to think what our kids would be like
    > if guns were on open sale

    Where I used to live the local kids had a craze for a couple of months
    involving airguns. They seem to be able to get hold of these small airguns
    easily, and used them to shoot at cats, plant pots, windows, that sort of
    thing. They caused untold damage and misery with these relatively
    non-powerful weapons.

    I think I know what would happen if kids in the UK could get hold of proper
    guns just as easily.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Chris Wright wrote:

    > > I think Moore may, as you said, have a heavy hand but he is spot on
    > > most of the time. I would dread to think what our kids would be like
    > > if guns were on open sale
    > >

    > Where I used to live the local kids had a craze for a couple of months
    > involving airguns. They seem to be able to get hold of these small airguns
    > easily, and used them to shoot at cats, plant pots, windows, that sort of
    > thing. They caused untold damage and misery with these relatively
    > non-powerful weapons.
    >
    > I think I know what would happen if kids in the UK could get hold of proper
    > guns just as easily.

    I read very recently of a teenage kid riding up to a small girl and
    shooting her almost point blank in the face. There are some kids out
    there I shudder to imagine how badly they would behave if they were
    seriously armed
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    > It might be a boy thing. Little boys don't always want to play Spongebob
    > Squarepants or Play And Learn, they want to play Star Wars, sword fights,
    > gun fights, that sort of thing. I'm sure most of the blokes here will
    > remember what they liked to play when they were little, and I bet most of
    us
    > wouldn't say that our favourite games were educational ones. Even when we
    > played with our Lego town, me and my brother usually ended up staging some
    > sort of war or something.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Chris

    I know exactly what you are talking about. When I was a kid my Lego town was
    GTA: My Bedroom. The graphics were spectacular for the 80's, it had more
    open ended freedoms like a open ended storyline. Except of course when I
    argued with my friends how the battle would take place.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Ian

    > Now the only thing that bothers me is how your little'un knows about bar
    > staff! I hope you haven't got a tiny drunk on your hands there ;-)

    Erm - no, not really. He used to guzzle my red wine from crawling age to
    about 3, but he's completely on the wagon now, as I've got worse.

    I don't think he trusts alcoholic drinks any more after pinching a swig of
    my whiskey when I wasn't looking. There are key moments in your child's life
    where you wish you had a video camera rolling - that was one of them.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    In message <42b14fe3$1@nntp.onyx.net>
    "Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote:

    > Where I used to live the local kids had a craze for a couple of months
    > involving airguns. They seem to be able to get hold of these small airguns
    > easily, and used them to shoot at cats, plant pots, windows, that sort of
    > thing.

    Near where I live (see.sig) the kids still do that.

    A tram system was implemented to replace the Wimbledon to Croydon
    railway track and unfortunately it runs passed one of the biggest
    cess-pools ever called a housing estate.

    On the first day of the trams operating, all the kids were out in force
    aiming for the trams with airguns.

    Says a lot about today's society really doesn't it?

    Cheers,
    Rob
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Rob White wrote:

    > In message <42b14fe3$1@nntp.onyx.net>
    > "Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Where I used to live the local kids had a craze for a couple of months
    > > involving airguns. They seem to be able to get hold of these small airguns
    > > easily, and used them to shoot at cats, plant pots, windows, that sort of
    > > thing.
    >
    > Near where I live (see.sig) the kids still do that.
    >
    > A tram system was implemented to replace the Wimbledon to Croydon
    > railway track and unfortunately it runs passed one of the biggest
    > cess-pools ever called a housing estate.
    >
    > On the first day of the trams operating, all the kids were out in force
    > aiming for the trams with airguns.
    >
    > Says a lot about today's society really doesn't it?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Rob
    > --
    > .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
    > | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
    > | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.

    says even more that they hardly ever seem to have anyone dealing with
    it either. This estate is riddled with CCTV, but cops are scarce
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    In message <42B1D699.9CEE0630@blueyonder.co.uk>
    Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    > says even more that they hardly ever seem to have anyone dealing with
    > it either. This estate is riddled with CCTV, but cops are scarce

    An estate near to me has those 'Community Officers' who don't even have
    the power to arrest. What good is that for apprehending people that
    break the law?

    Cheers,
    Rob
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Rob White wrote:

    > In message <42B1D699.9CEE0630@blueyonder.co.uk>
    > Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > > says even more that they hardly ever seem to have anyone dealing with
    > > it either. This estate is riddled with CCTV, but cops are scarce
    >
    > An estate near to me has those 'Community Officers' who don't even have
    > the power to arrest. What good is that for apprehending people that
    > break the law?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Rob
    > --
    > .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
    > | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
    > | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.

    I did wonder about that. I suppose ANYthing is better than nothing,
    but honestly, they really just stand there and take the piss out of
    the cops. They don't care a hoot
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "Rob White" <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

    >(see.sig)

    And all those people who you romantically like to still believe are alive
    are dead
    And I'll wipe my snot on the arm of your chair as you put another Roger Dean
    poster on the wall.

    ;-)
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    > Rob White wrote:
    >>
    >> In message <42B1D699.9CEE0630@blueyonder.co.uk>
    >> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >> > says even more that they hardly ever seem to have anyone dealing with
    >> > it either. This estate is riddled with CCTV, but cops are scarce
    >>
    >> An estate near to me has those 'Community Officers' who don't even have
    >> the power to arrest. What good is that for apprehending people that
    >> break the law?
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Rob
    >> --
    >> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
    >> | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
    >> | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.
    >
    > I did wonder about that. I suppose ANYthing is better than nothing,
    > but honestly, they really just stand there and take the piss out of
    > the cops. They don't care a hoot
    > --
    > Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")

    Apparently those community officers don't have powers of arrest, but if they
    call for backup from the "real" officers it's there very, very quickly.
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Chris Wright wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Rob White wrote:

    > >> An estate near to me has those 'Community Officers' who don't even have
    > >> the power to arrest. What good is that for apprehending people that
    > >> break the law?
    > >>
    > >> Cheers,
    > >> Rob
    > >> --
    > >> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
    > >
    > > I did wonder about that. I suppose ANYthing is better than nothing,
    > > but honestly, they really just stand there and take the piss out of
    > > the cops. They don't care a hoot
    > > --
    > > Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    >
    > Apparently those community officers don't have powers of arrest, but if they
    > call for backup from the "real" officers it's there very, very quickly.

    Again, at least it's something. I think they're actually scared of
    this estate
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Chris Wright wrote:

    > I'm sure that all Americans don't spend all day dodging bullets, but the
    > idea that people get guns to protect themselves is self-proliferating.
    > Criminals have guns, so everyone needs a gun to defend themselves. So the
    > criminals get bigger guns, and so on. I've never been to the USA so I might
    > be speaking out of turn, but it seems to me that guns are a cultural thing
    > over there that would be extremely difficult to get rid of.

    There's really no arms race, a gun is a gun. Give me a 9mm or a .44
    Magnum, you don't want to get hit with either. It's the shooter and
    circumstances that make the difference.

    If someone breaks into my house, my Glock 9mm with hollowpoints is
    close at hand. At gunpoint they will be told to handcuff themselves to
    a tree in my front yard until the police arrive. If my or my family's
    life is in danger, I will not hesitate to shoot the sonofabitch. The
    law will most likely be on my side if it comes to that.

    Contrast that with the UK, where handguns have been banned and the
    crimanals practically have more rights than the homeowners. You don't
    take a knife to a gunfight. I realize crime in the UK was bad, but
    taking away the citizens best defense against criminals is not exactly
    the best solution. I know if I was a burglar I would feel a LOT better
    knowing there wasn't a gun in the house I was breaking into.

    > I think you mentioned Chris Rock before in the nastier thread. There's a
    > good clip of him in "Bowling for Columbine" where he says something like,
    > "Let people have guns, but make bullets cost a thousand dollars each." There
    > might be some serious merit in that. If people really only used their guns
    > in defence of their lives, expensive bullets would be fair enough. After
    > all, I would happily use a $1000 bullet to protect my family from an armed
    > robber, but if I was a maniac on the loose in a school I wouldn't be able to
    > afford to take out many people, would I?

    That's an interesting idea, but then bullets would become black
    market items and anyone wanting to go on a school shooting spree would
    just have to find some black market bullets, or steal them. And people
    already have a lot of time and money invested in bullet reloading
    equipment.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    > An estate near to me has those 'Community Officers' who don't even have
    > the power to arrest. What good is that for apprehending people that
    > break the law?

    As far as I can tell, they are still civilians, so they have the same rights
    with regards to citizen's arrest that you do. In other words, if they
    witness a crime, they can arrest the perpetrator. Note that "reasonable
    doubt" does not come into it - you can't (for example) arrest a kid with an
    airgun for vandalism unless you witness the shot and its effect. Hearing the
    glass smash and seeing the kid run away with his gun is not grounds for
    citizen's arrest.
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    In article <1119031271.656277.52480@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    "Mr. Stabby" <control_z@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > > I think you mentioned Chris Rock before in the nastier thread. There's a
    > > good clip of him in "Bowling for Columbine" where he says something like,
    > > "Let people have guns, but make bullets cost a thousand dollars each." There
    > > might be some serious merit in that. If people really only used their guns
    > > in defence of their lives, expensive bullets would be fair enough. After
    > > all, I would happily use a $1000 bullet to protect my family from an armed
    > > robber, but if I was a maniac on the loose in a school I wouldn't be able to
    > > afford to take out many people, would I?
    >
    > That's an interesting idea, but then bullets would become black
    > market items and anyone wanting to go on a school shooting spree would
    > just have to find some black market bullets, or steal them. And people
    > already have a lot of time and money invested in bullet reloading
    > equipment.

    Not to mention how feasible the idea of ultra expensive ammo is. Making
    reloading illegal, changing firearms themselves to accept a type of new
    ammo system with a trade secret of some sort.

    Sure its a funny line from chris rock, but its just not going to happen
    anytime soon.

    --
    Cyrus

    *coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Rob White wrote:

    > Bring back corporal punushment is what I say.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Rob

    bring back something, anything, that instils respect into the little
    darlings
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  38. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    In message <4gDse.18772$K5.10063@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>
    "G Hardy" <gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote:

    > As far as I can tell, they are still civilians, so they have the same rights
    > with regards to citizen's arrest that you do. In other words, if they
    > witness a crime, they can arrest the perpetrator. Note that "reasonable
    > doubt" does not come into it - you can't (for example) arrest a kid with an
    > airgun for vandalism unless you witness the shot and its effect. Hearing the
    > glass smash and seeing the kid run away with his gun is not grounds for
    > citizen's arrest.

    A bit nuts really innit?

    There was a story in the local paper of a young lad's parents suing a
    community officer for attempted assault during a citizen's arrest.

    I'm only 22, but if I disrespected the law like some of these
    youngsters do I would probably had my head dented by my parents.

    Bring back corporal punushment is what I say.

    Cheers,
    Rob
  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    > Rob White wrote:
    >
    >> Bring back corporal punushment is what I say.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Rob
    >
    > bring back something, anything, that instils respect into the little
    > darlings
    > --
    > Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    > Stop and Look
    > http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    Recently the owner of a local shop went to put a caffler out the door when
    he was causing hassle with some customers.
    He told her if she touched him he'd get the 'socials' on her. Guess where he
    got that phrase from.
    She should have stamped on his head. He could have given the 'socials' a
    call when he came out of his coma. Little prick.
  40. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Razor wrote:

    > !?!?!?!?!? Where are you living? Sounds like Escape From New York.

    :O)) I live on the meadowell Estate, in North Shields, at the mouth
    of the Tyne. Just to show you what bollocks people spout about these
    things i just did a google and found

    "The Meadowell estate is on the eastern edge of the city of Newcastle"

    No it's not. It's got bugger all to do with newcastle except it is the
    nearest city.

    it also seems I made a little mistake, it was the kid's grandad who
    thought he wasn't just a joyrider.

    Honestly though, this place has always been rough, but where it was
    rough and friendly when i was small now it's just rough

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  41. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    In message <42B55560.FE96462B@blueyonder.co.uk>
    Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    > They make you feel like a prisoner in your own home.

    And people think that playing GTA makes you a violent criminal.

    It really makes me wonder if you have to have a lobotomy on the NHS
    before you can become a member of parliament and let the country(ies)
    rot the way they have done the last few years.

    Everybody somewhere is missing the bigger picture.

    Cheers,
    Rob
  42. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Funny, I was listening to "Fisticuffs on Frederick Street" by The Toy
    Dolls this morning.

    Or is that South Shields?

    Phil Hibbs.
  43. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    I was looking at some U.S. crime statistics on the DoJ web site a few
    years ago, and the levels of teenage gun violence took a sharp turn
    downwards in 1993, co-inciding with the release of the computer game
    "Doom".

    Phil Hibbs.
  44. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Rob White wrote:

    > In message <42B55560.FE96462B@blueyonder.co.uk>
    > Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > > They make you feel like a prisoner in your own home.
    >
    > And people think that playing GTA makes you a violent criminal.
    >
    > It really makes me wonder if you have to have a lobotomy on the NHS
    > before you can become a member of parliament and let the country(ies)
    > rot the way they have done the last few years.
    >
    > Everybody somewhere is missing the bigger picture.

    well, i play the game and all its previous versions and I'm probably
    tamer now than I was when I was their age and didn't play these games.
    It's just a sodding lot easier to blame a video game than your own
    lousy political inaction I guess. Of course if there's money in it
    they'll soon fix it
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  45. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    snarks@gmail.com wrote:

    > Funny, I was listening to "Fisticuffs on Frederick Street" by The Toy
    > Dolls this morning.
    >
    > Or is that South Shields?
    >
    > Phil Hibbs.

    probably south.... maybe this answers the question?

    http://www.southshields-sanddancers.co.uk/old_photos/frederick_street_tyne_wear.htm
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  46. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    snarks@gmail.com wrote:

    > I was looking at some U.S. crime statistics on the DoJ web site a few
    > years ago, and the levels of teenage gun violence took a sharp turn
    > downwards in 1993, co-inciding with the release of the computer game
    > "Doom".
    >
    > Phil Hibbs.

    they just didn't make big enough guns :O))

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  47. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I was looking at some U.S. crime statistics on the DoJ web site a few
    > years ago, and the levels of teenage gun violence took a sharp turn
    > downwards in 1993, co-inciding with the release of the computer game
    > "Doom".
    >
    > Phil Hibbs.

    Tell that to the poor flesh-eating zombies. They don't have a voice.
  48. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Razor wrote:

    > <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I was looking at some U.S. crime statistics on the DoJ web site a few
    > > years ago, and the levels of teenage gun violence took a sharp turn
    > > downwards in 1993, co-inciding with the release of the computer game
    > > "Doom".
    > >
    > > Phil Hibbs.
    > >

    > Tell that to the poor flesh-eating zombies. They don't have a voice.

    I thought they went

    nnnnnnnnnnn... braaaaaiiinnnn

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  49. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "Cyrus" <invalid@i.like.spam> wrote in message
    > In article <1119031271.656277.52480@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    > "Mr. Stabby" <control_z@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >> > I think you mentioned Chris Rock before in the nastier thread. There's
    >> > good clip of him in "Bowling for Columbine" where he says something
    >> > like,
    >> > "Let people have guns, but make bullets cost a thousand dollars each."
    >> > There
    >> > might be some serious merit in that. If people really only used their
    >> > guns
    >> > in defence of their lives, expensive bullets would be fair enough.
    >> > After
    >> > all, I would happily use a $1000 bullet to protect my family from an
    >> > armed
    >> > robber, but if I was a maniac on the loose in a school I wouldn't be
    >> > able to
    >> > afford to take out many people, would I?
    >>
    >> That's an interesting idea, but then bullets would become black
    >> market items and anyone wanting to go on a school shooting spree would
    >> just have to find some black market bullets, or steal them. And people
    >> already have a lot of time and money invested in bullet reloading
    >> equipment.
    >>

    > Not to mention how feasible the idea of ultra expensive ammo is. Making
    > reloading illegal, changing firearms themselves to accept a type of new
    > ammo system with a trade secret of some sort.
    >
    > Sure its a funny line from chris rock, but its just not going to happen
    > anytime soon.
    >
    > --
    Well no it probably isn't going to happen, but throwing an idea out because
    it might be difficult doesn't make more sense than just leaving things as
    they are. A hell of a lot more people get killed with guns under the current
    US laws than they do under the current UK ones.

Games Video Games