How about a PG-rated GTA:SA?

Last response: in Video Games
June 14, 2005 10:31:14 AM

I want my kid to be able to roam around San Andreas but there's too
many 4-letter words being spewed on the streets.

Does anyone know of a mod that will supress the bad language? I
think that would be a great mod for the parents out there who want to
show off the technology of GTA:SA.

More about : rated gta

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 1:02:29 PM

Jebus Saves wrote:

> So you have no problem with your 4 year old shooting, stabbing and running
> over people or beating them with a golf club or baseball bat but a few curse
> words bother you? Buy the kid a Spongebob game and keep the adult games off
> limits.

My kid plays GTA3 and Vice City under the condition that if they hurt
or run over someone, or their car is damaged to the point of blowing
up, then it's MY turn to drive. :)  So it's basically just a big city
playground to explore. There is no other game like that, Spongebob
doesn't cut it.

>There may be a mod available but why bother when the
> kid will still see random violence in the game even if he doesn't shoot
> anyone himself.

Yeah the random violence is bad, but if there's a cheat to make all
the pedestrians extra-violent it doesn't seem unreasonable there should
be a cheat or mod to make them all passive.

Basically all the mod would need to do is supress either all the
R-rated pedestrian audio, or even all the pedestrian audio entirely,
and also make the pedestrians docile.

I'm still waiting for Entire Earth Simulator 1.0. ;)
June 14, 2005 1:28:47 PM

Mr. Stabby wrote:
> I want my kid to be able to roam around San Andreas but there's too
> many 4-letter words being spewed on the streets.
>
> Does anyone know of a mod that will supress the bad language? I
> think that would be a great mod for the parents out there who want to
> show off the technology of GTA:SA.

yeah, it's called a volume knob.....just turn off the sound and turn on
your home radio........either that or just get --> The Simpsons, Hit &
Run......Quite PG
June 14, 2005 1:39:20 PM

Chris, have you seen The Simpsons Hit and Run? It's more or less
exactly what you are asking for - a kids version of GTA. Funny dialog
but no swearing and pedestrians get bowled over but not squished.

cheers,
TW
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 6:10:11 PM

"Mr. Stabby" <control_z@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I want my kid to be able to roam around San Andreas but there's too
> many 4-letter words being spewed on the streets.
>
> Does anyone know of a mod that will supress the bad language? I
> think that would be a great mod for the parents out there who want to
> show off the technology of GTA:SA.

So you have no problem with your 4 year old shooting, stabbing and running
over people or beating them with a golf club or baseball bat but a few curse
words bother you? Buy the kid a Spongebob game and keep the adult games off
limits. I don't mean to attack you but this is a base problem in our country
whereas we have a tyranny of the 7 year olds that allows nutjobs to take
away our freedom of speech on TV, Radio and Video Games. Your 4 year old
should not be allowed to play game that promotes violence. If he want's to
drive, buy a racing game for him. Taking out the curse words is a joke,
violence is much more damaging to a child than seeing a naked woman or
hearing curse words. There may be a mod available but why bother when the
kid will still see random violence in the game even if he doesn't shoot
anyone himself.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 7:02:22 PM

"Mr. Stabby" <control_z@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I want my kid to be able to roam around San Andreas but there's too
> many 4-letter words being spewed on the streets.
>
> Does anyone know of a mod that will supress the bad language? I
> think that would be a great mod for the parents out there who want to
> show off the technology of GTA:SA.

I'm with you, we had a thread about the same thing a while ago. It's a shame
that my 5-year old can't have a go, all he wants to do is go around in cars
and planes and things, but I can't let him even watch me play San Andreas
because everyone from CJ to the pedestrians are effing and blinding every
time they open their mouths.

A "no swearing" option would be great, maybe even an option to put the game
into "kid mode", where the more violent and profane bits were left out, and
actual missions couldn't be accessed. Then a kid could roam around having
fun in the vehicles and so on without encountering anything inappropriate.

People might answer this thread by saying, "If you don't want your kids to
hear the swearing, don't let them play an adult game," but that's not the
point. The trouble is that there's nothing else on the market that
approaches the same sort of roaming fun and scope of vehicles and places to
discover. Kids love exploring, and a game like San Andreas is brilliant for
doing that.

I imagine changing some of the pedestrian speech files would be a start, and
maybe re-skinning the people so the kids are shooting at robots or something
instead of people. Take out the hookers and blood and stuff, get rid of the
missions, and there's probably a child-friendly game in there somewhere.

Maybe some clever person could figure out a mod that would make it possible
for kids to have a go. I wouldn't know where to start myself.

In the meantime I'm having to play the game with headphones on in case I
inadvertently teach my little tykes some new words!

Cheers

Chris
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 7:25:31 PM

"Jebus Saves" <GeorgeWBush@drunkdrivingcokeheadedAWOLcowards.com> wrote in
message news:7zBre.1018$jF3.738@news02.roc.ny...
> "Mr. Stabby" <control_z@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I want my kid to be able to roam around San Andreas but there's too
>> many 4-letter words being spewed on the streets.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a mod that will supress the bad language? I
>> think that would be a great mod for the parents out there who want to
>> show off the technology of GTA:SA.
>>

> So you have no problem with your 4 year old shooting, stabbing and running
> over people or beating them with a golf club or baseball bat but a few
> curse words bother you? Buy the kid a Spongebob game and keep the adult
> games off limits. I don't mean to attack you but this is a base problem in
> our country whereas we have a tyranny of the 7 year olds that allows
> nutjobs to take away our freedom of speech on TV, Radio and Video Games.
> Your 4 year old should not be allowed to play game that promotes violence.
> If he want's to drive, buy a racing game for him. Taking out the curse
> words is a joke, violence is much more damaging to a child than seeing a
> naked woman or hearing curse words. There may be a mod available but why
> bother when the kid will still see random violence in the game even if he
> doesn't shoot anyone himself.

I'm amused the idea of your country being run by the "tyranny of the 7 year
olds". It sounds like an episode of "The Twilight Zone".
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 8:21:59 PM

"Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote in message
>> I'm assuming that your country is the United States?

yes, I understand that in other countries they have cursing and nudity on
regular TV without their children bringing guns to school and blowing off
their classmates heads. These whackos here are trying to get cable and
sattelite TV and Radio regulated as well because some 7 year old might turn
on the TV and order cable or pay movies and see a boobie. It's insane what
Christians do to force their values on everyone else. Ratings regulate what
the general public consider decent or indecent. If they find it offensive
then they dont watch it and the ratings go away and no station is going to
keep a show with bad ratings.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 8:23:05 PM

"Mr. Stabby" wrote:

> Jebus Saves wrote:
> >
> > So you have no problem with your 4 year old shooting, stabbing and running
> > over people or beating them with a golf club or baseball bat but a few curse
> > words bother you? Buy the kid a Spongebob game and keep the adult games off
> > limits.
>
> My kid plays GTA3 and Vice City under the condition that if they hurt
> or run over someone, or their car is damaged to the point of blowing
> up, then it's MY turn to drive. :)  So it's basically just a big city
> playground to explore. There is no other game like that, Spongebob
> doesn't cut it.
>
> >There may be a mod available but why bother when the
> > kid will still see random violence in the game even if he doesn't shoot
> > anyone himself.
>
> Yeah the random violence is bad, but if there's a cheat to make all
> the pedestrians extra-violent it doesn't seem unreasonable there should
> be a cheat or mod to make them all passive.
>
> Basically all the mod would need to do is supress either all the
> R-rated pedestrian audio, or even all the pedestrian audio entirely,
> and also make the pedestrians docile.
>
> I'm still waiting for Entire Earth Simulator 1.0. ;)

the easiest answer, though a little sloppy, is simply to turn the
sound off. I know it's not a perfect answer but it works. You can just
make up your own soundtrack as you go along. My favourite is "Do you
mind if I borrow your car? No? How kind of you."
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

Bobo wrote:

> Mr. Stabby wrote:
> > I want my kid to be able to roam around San Andreas but there's too
> > many 4-letter words being spewed on the streets.
> >
> > Does anyone know of a mod that will supress the bad language? I
> > think that would be a great mod for the parents out there who want to
> > show off the technology of GTA:SA.

The Simpsons, Hit &
> Run......Quite PG

tried that, they retained some interest for a while but it soon wears
thin. The problem is you can't compare SA to Hit & Run, at best it's a
kid's version of GTA3 as there are no bikes or flying thingies.
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
June 15, 2005 1:02:36 AM

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Bobo wrote:
>>
>> Mr. Stabby wrote:
>> > I want my kid to be able to roam around San Andreas but there's too
>> > many 4-letter words being spewed on the streets.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know of a mod that will supress the bad language? I
>> > think that would be a great mod for the parents out there who want to
>> > show off the technology of GTA:SA.
>> >
> The Simpsons, Hit &
>> Run......Quite PG
>
> tried that, they retained some interest for a while but it soon wears
> thin. The problem is you can't compare SA to Hit & Run, at best it's a
> kid's version of GTA3 as there are no bikes or flying thingies.
> --
> Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")

You're spot on - kids appreciate the physics engine and wide variety in the
GTA series. Simply turning the sound off doesn't cut it for many reasons.
It surely shouldn't be that hard to turn off the ability to damage other
actors (i.e. pedestrians etc.), and turn off the guns to leave you with a
driving/exploring game.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:01:47 AM

Schrodinger wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Bobo wrote:

> > The Simpsons, Hit &
> >> Run......Quite PG
> >
> > tried that, they retained some interest for a while but it soon wears
> > thin. The problem is you can't compare SA to Hit & Run, at best it's a
> > kid's version of GTA3 as there are no bikes or flying thingies.
> > --
> > Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
>
> You're spot on - kids appreciate the physics engine and wide variety in the
> GTA series. Simply turning the sound off doesn't cut it for many reasons.
> It surely shouldn't be that hard to turn off the ability to damage other
> actors (i.e. pedestrians etc.), and turn off the guns to leave you with a
> driving/exploring game.

It probably never crossed RS's minds but maybe someone will think
something up.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 8:42:08 AM

Thanks for mentioning The Simpsons game though, I think you're right
that
it's probably the best alternative available at the moment.

Hi Chris,

Yep, I know exactly what you mean about little boys, I have a 6 year
old myself. It's a difficult balance between letting them do what they
seem to naturally enjoy (all the rough stuff) while at the same time
keeping it tasteful and keeping them away from the worst excesses.
That's why I like the Simpsons game - it seems to have struck just the
right balance. My lad goes crashing through fences knocking people
over, with a big cry of 'ooooohh' and lots of laughter, but it's all
presented in a slapstick, cartoon style rather than trying to be
realistic with spurting blood, etc.

cheers,
TW
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 9:01:10 AM

>>yes, I understand that in other countries they have cursing and nudity on
regular TV without their children bringing guns to school and blowing
off
their classmates heads. These whackos here are trying to get cable and
sattelite TV and Radio regulated as well because some 7 year old might
turn
on the TV and order cable or pay movies and see a boobie

As a kind of angular spin off to this discussion - I find it quite,
well, 'interesting' that the level of conversation in this NG is
generally very friendly with few flamewars, backbiting, insults etc.
Much better than the usenet average, imo. I don't post much on other
groups because I find the level of disrespect in most NG's rather
depressing.

So there we are, all fans of this outrageously violent game and we have
one of the most civilised discussion groups. Maybe it's because we all
work out our anger on the Ballas instead? One for the social scientists
to ponder.

cheers,
TW
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:03:43 PM

"tonewheel" <tonewheeljackson@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Chris, have you seen The Simpsons Hit and Run? It's more or less
> exactly what you are asking for - a kids version of GTA. Funny dialog
> but no swearing and pedestrians get bowled over but not squished.
>
> cheers,
> TW

Hi TW

Yes, I got that for this exact reason, and my little fella does like playing
it. The trouble is that the GTA games are so much better in so many ways.
Loads more vehicles, loads more freedom to roam etc. Not to mention that as
a little boy, he basically just wants to be like Daddy, so when he sees that
I'm playing a new game he wants a go as well.

We used to play on SWAT3 together, and there was a "no blood" option on that
which was good, plus the fact that we were playing goodies and the baddies
were so obviously bad. There were about two uses of the word "bastards" in
that game, but other than that it was cool for him to watch. SWAT4 is a
different kettle of fish though, much more adult in its themes and language,
so that's another one I can't involve him in.

It might be a boy thing. Little boys don't always want to play Spongebob
Squarepants or Play And Learn, they want to play Star Wars, sword fights,
gun fights, that sort of thing. I'm sure most of the blokes here will
remember what they liked to play when they were little, and I bet most of us
wouldn't say that our favourite games were educational ones. Even when we
played with our Lego town, me and my brother usually ended up staging some
sort of war or something.

Thanks for mentioning The Simpsons game though, I think you're right that
it's probably the best alternative available at the moment.

Cheers

Chris
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:08:40 PM

"Jebus Saves" <GeorgeWBush@drunkdrivingcokeheadedAWOLcowards.com> wrote in
message news:HuDre.763$yg4.194@news01.roc.ny...

> "Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm assuming that your country is the United States?
>>

> yes, I understand that in other countries they have cursing and nudity on
> regular TV without their children bringing guns to school and blowing off
> their classmates heads. These whackos here are trying to get cable and
> sattelite TV and Radio regulated as well because some 7 year old might
> turn on the TV and order cable or pay movies and see a boobie. It's insane
> what Christians do to force their values on everyone else. Ratings
> regulate what the general public consider decent or indecent. If they find
> it offensive then they dont watch it and the ratings go away and no
> station is going to keep a show with bad ratings.

You're right there IMHO, the problems that make people go crazy with guns
aren't caused by them watching TV, no matter how much the right-wing press
tries to make it look like that. In the UK last year a teenager killed
another kid with a hammer, and The Daily Mail (very right-wing, "send 'em
back where they came from" type of paper) ran a headline that said "BAN
THESE EVIL GAMES", simply because the kid had played Manhunt at some point
before the killing.

I don't think anyone needs a video game to tell them that if you hit someone
about the head with a hammer they are going to get hurt. If you're the sort
of person who's going to do that anyway it doesn't matter if you're out
making daisy chains or playing GTA, you're still going to do it.

Have you seen "Bowling For Columbine"? I know Michael Moore goes overboard,
but there is some interesting discussion about why the USA in particular has
a problem with gun crime in it.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:14:17 PM

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Bobo wrote:
>>
>> Mr. Stabby wrote:
>> > I want my kid to be able to roam around San Andreas but there's too
>> > many 4-letter words being spewed on the streets.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know of a mod that will supress the bad language? I
>> > think that would be a great mod for the parents out there who want to
>> > show off the technology of GTA:SA.
>> >
> The Simpsons, Hit &
>> Run......Quite PG
>
> tried that, they retained some interest for a while but it soon wears
> thin. The problem is you can't compare SA to Hit & Run, at best it's a
> kid's version of GTA3 as there are no bikes or flying thingies.
> --

I think that kids are more sophisticated than some people give them credit
for. My five-year old can see the great qualities of the GTA games. He
recognises the same feeling of freedom to roam around a glorious 3D
environment in just the same way that an adult does, it's just the adult
themed bits and the language that means he can't have a go.

I had the same experience with The Simpsons Hit and Run. He liked it, just
not as much as he would like a GTA game. GTA games are just a lot better
than the Simpsons game. It's like getting a kid who likes tennis to play
ping pong. Basically the same idea, but also utterly different.

Mind you, you know what would happen if Rockstar released a child-friendly
version. The press would be all over them saying it's like selling candy
cigarettes to children so that they can practice smoking. It wouldn't, of
course, but they would probably say that.
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:14:18 PM

Chris Wright wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Bobo wrote:

> > The Simpsons, Hit &
> >> Run......Quite PG
> >
> > tried that, they retained some interest for a while but it soon wears
> > thin. The problem is you can't compare SA to Hit & Run, at best it's a
> > kid's version of GTA3 as there are no bikes or flying thingies.
> > --
>
> I think that kids are more sophisticated than some people give them credit
> for. My five-year old can see the great qualities of the GTA games. He
> recognises the same feeling of freedom to roam around a glorious 3D
> environment in just the same way that an adult does, it's just the adult
> themed bits and the language that means he can't have a go.

I agree they're in a different class to us. My grandkids get tied of
kids games so quickly. Even Shrek 2, which is one of their favourite
films, quickly fell by the wayside.

They have played all three of the 3d GTAs, but with SA I put some firm
rules in place including no sound. Let's put it this way, the littlest
calls it 'The Girlfriend Game' and basically we just team up and go
walkabouts, causing occasional mayhem but generally just finding high
things to jump off etc. She's as happy as a mudlark and is easily able
to recognise landmarks etc.

> I had the same experience with The Simpsons Hit and Run. He liked it, just
> not as much as he would like a GTA game. GTA games are just a lot better
> than the Simpsons game. It's like getting a kid who likes tennis to play
> ping pong. Basically the same idea, but also utterly different.

I found the levels on the Hit & Run to be the biggest problem. They
want to roam freely through all levels, not have to load and unload
stuff. i think the actual detail of the levels is pretty sparse too,
though it was the best Simpsons game by far

> Mind you, you know what would happen if Rockstar released a child-friendly
> version. The press would be all over them saying it's like selling candy
> cigarettes to children so that they can practice smoking. It wouldn't, of
> course, but they would probably say that.

Yup, no doubt about it.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 5:27:03 PM

>>>yes, I understand that in other countries they have cursing and nudity on
> regular TV without their children bringing guns to school and blowing
> off
> their classmates heads. These whackos here are trying to get cable and
> sattelite TV and Radio regulated as well because some 7 year old might
> turn
> on the TV and order cable or pay movies and see a boobie
>>>

> As a kind of angular spin off to this discussion - I find it quite,
> well, 'interesting' that the level of conversation in this NG is
> generally very friendly with few flamewars, backbiting, insults etc.
> Much better than the usenet average, imo. I don't post much on other
> groups because I find the level of disrespect in most NG's rather
> depressing.
>
> So there we are, all fans of this outrageously violent game and we have
> one of the most civilised discussion groups. Maybe it's because we all
> work out our anger on the Ballas instead? One for the social scientists
> to ponder.
>
> cheers,
> TW

It is generally friendlier and more constructive than the others I've been
on. You still get the odd idiot, but far fewer than on other NGs in my
experience. That's why this is the only NG I visit on anything likea regular
basis.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 5:00:44 AM

> I want my kid to be able to roam around San Andreas but there's too
> many 4-letter words being spewed on the streets.

You think that's bad - my little one thinks the whole point of Halo is to
find the "clever bar staff" that Kourtana speaks of during the evacuation of
the ship at the start of the game.

I have to cough every time she says it in case he repeats it at school.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 10:47:31 AM

In message <42AF53A1.B3CF8EA2@blueyonder.co.uk>
Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> It probably never crossed RS's minds but maybe someone will think
> something up.

In the original GTA there was a cheatcode ('IAMGARYPENN') that turns on
the *really* harsh language. I assume that DMA Design (Now R*) weren't
too sure how the public would react at what was then a really rude game.

Cheers,
Rob
June 16, 2005 12:07:17 PM

Rob White wrote:

> In message <42AF53A1.B3CF8EA2@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > It probably never crossed RS's minds but maybe someone will think
> > something up.
>
> In the original GTA there was a cheatcode ('IAMGARYPENN') that turns on
> the *really* harsh language. I assume that DMA Design (Now R*) weren't
> too sure how the public would react at what was then a really rude game.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
> | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
> | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.

really? I never knew that. Now THAT was an engrossing game
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 2:01:27 PM

Chris Wright wrote:
I would happily use a $1000 bullet to protect my family from an armed
> robber, but if I was a maniac on the loose in a school I wouldn't be able to
> afford to take out many people, would I?

They would just buy 'as good as' bullets off the internet.

I don't know about America, but just a couple of hundred yards from
our house there is a small tunnel leading under the metro station. A
group of sailors, on shore leave from HMS Illustrious, had been for a
night out and were returning late at night to ship when they were
accosted in the tunnel by a group of 8 to 14 year olds. The kids asked
for cigarettes and when the sailors refused they started throwing
things at them and eventually knocked one guy to the floor, continuing
to pelt him while his friends protected him. Back at his home base the
guy has a fractured skull. He's been all over the world, into war
zones and he comes to a place where his ship is supposed to be
welcomed with open arms only to be seriously injured by children.

Video games didn't do this, nor did religion. Total lack of respect
and absolutely no care for a fellow human being is what took place.
people always seem to be looking for ways to make young people more
free, while not considering just how those freedoms effect the rest of
us. The kids here stand and swear at the police, they don't give a
damn.

I think Moore may, as you said, have a heavy hand but he is spot on
most of the time. I would dread to think what our kids would be like
if guns were on open sale

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:09:41 PM

> I think Moore may, as you said, have a heavy hand but he is spot on
> most of the time. I would dread to think what our kids would be like
> if guns were on open sale

Where I used to live the local kids had a craze for a couple of months
involving airguns. They seem to be able to get hold of these small airguns
easily, and used them to shoot at cats, plant pots, windows, that sort of
thing. They caused untold damage and misery with these relatively
non-powerful weapons.

I think I know what would happen if kids in the UK could get hold of proper
guns just as easily.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 3:48:23 PM

Chris Wright wrote:

> > I think Moore may, as you said, have a heavy hand but he is spot on
> > most of the time. I would dread to think what our kids would be like
> > if guns were on open sale
> >

> Where I used to live the local kids had a craze for a couple of months
> involving airguns. They seem to be able to get hold of these small airguns
> easily, and used them to shoot at cats, plant pots, windows, that sort of
> thing. They caused untold damage and misery with these relatively
> non-powerful weapons.
>
> I think I know what would happen if kids in the UK could get hold of proper
> guns just as easily.

I read very recently of a teenage kid riding up to a small girl and
shooting her almost point blank in the face. There are some kids out
there I shudder to imagine how badly they would behave if they were
seriously armed
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
June 16, 2005 3:59:40 PM

> It might be a boy thing. Little boys don't always want to play Spongebob
> Squarepants or Play And Learn, they want to play Star Wars, sword fights,
> gun fights, that sort of thing. I'm sure most of the blokes here will
> remember what they liked to play when they were little, and I bet most of
us
> wouldn't say that our favourite games were educational ones. Even when we
> played with our Lego town, me and my brother usually ended up staging some
> sort of war or something.
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris

I know exactly what you are talking about. When I was a kid my Lego town was
GTA: My Bedroom. The graphics were spectacular for the 80's, it had more
open ended freedoms like a open ended storyline. Except of course when I
argued with my friends how the battle would take place.

--
Best Regards,
Ian

> Now the only thing that bothers me is how your little'un knows about bar
> staff! I hope you haven't got a tiny drunk on your hands there ;-)

Erm - no, not really. He used to guzzle my red wine from crawling age to
about 3, but he's completely on the wagon now, as I've got worse.

I don't think he trusts alcoholic drinks any more after pinching a swig of
my whiskey when I wasn't looking. There are key moments in your child's life
where you wish you had a video camera rolling - that was one of them.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 9:17:21 PM

In message <42b14fe3$1@nntp.onyx.net>
"Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote:

> Where I used to live the local kids had a craze for a couple of months
> involving airguns. They seem to be able to get hold of these small airguns
> easily, and used them to shoot at cats, plant pots, windows, that sort of
> thing.

Near where I live (see.sig) the kids still do that.

A tram system was implemented to replace the Wimbledon to Croydon
railway track and unfortunately it runs passed one of the biggest
cess-pools ever called a housing estate.

On the first day of the trams operating, all the kids were out in force
aiming for the trams with airguns.

Says a lot about today's society really doesn't it?

Cheers,
Rob
June 16, 2005 11:44:46 PM

Rob White wrote:

> In message <42b14fe3$1@nntp.onyx.net>
> "Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote:
>
> > Where I used to live the local kids had a craze for a couple of months
> > involving airguns. They seem to be able to get hold of these small airguns
> > easily, and used them to shoot at cats, plant pots, windows, that sort of
> > thing.
>
> Near where I live (see.sig) the kids still do that.
>
> A tram system was implemented to replace the Wimbledon to Croydon
> railway track and unfortunately it runs passed one of the biggest
> cess-pools ever called a housing estate.
>
> On the first day of the trams operating, all the kids were out in force
> aiming for the trams with airguns.
>
> Says a lot about today's society really doesn't it?
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
> | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
> | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.

says even more that they hardly ever seem to have anyone dealing with
it either. This estate is riddled with CCTV, but cops are scarce
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:09:26 AM

In message <42B1D699.9CEE0630@blueyonder.co.uk>
Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> says even more that they hardly ever seem to have anyone dealing with
> it either. This estate is riddled with CCTV, but cops are scarce

An estate near to me has those 'Community Officers' who don't even have
the power to arrest. What good is that for apprehending people that
break the law?

Cheers,
Rob
June 17, 2005 4:44:41 AM

Rob White wrote:

> In message <42B1D699.9CEE0630@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > says even more that they hardly ever seem to have anyone dealing with
> > it either. This estate is riddled with CCTV, but cops are scarce
>
> An estate near to me has those 'Community Officers' who don't even have
> the power to arrest. What good is that for apprehending people that
> break the law?
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
> | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
> | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.

I did wonder about that. I suppose ANYthing is better than nothing,
but honestly, they really just stand there and take the piss out of
the cops. They don't care a hoot
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:29:00 PM

"Rob White" <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

>(see.sig)

And all those people who you romantically like to still believe are alive
are dead
And I'll wipe my snot on the arm of your chair as you put another Roger Dean
poster on the wall.

;-)
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:30:15 PM

> Rob White wrote:
>>
>> In message <42B1D699.9CEE0630@blueyonder.co.uk>
>> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> > says even more that they hardly ever seem to have anyone dealing with
>> > it either. This estate is riddled with CCTV, but cops are scarce
>>
>> An estate near to me has those 'Community Officers' who don't even have
>> the power to arrest. What good is that for apprehending people that
>> break the law?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rob
>> --
>> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
>> | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
>> | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.
>
> I did wonder about that. I suppose ANYthing is better than nothing,
> but honestly, they really just stand there and take the piss out of
> the cops. They don't care a hoot
> --
> Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")

Apparently those community officers don't have powers of arrest, but if they
call for backup from the "real" officers it's there very, very quickly.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:02:46 PM

Chris Wright wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Rob White wrote:

> >> An estate near to me has those 'Community Officers' who don't even have
> >> the power to arrest. What good is that for apprehending people that
> >> break the law?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Rob
> >> --
> >> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
> >
> > I did wonder about that. I suppose ANYthing is better than nothing,
> > but honestly, they really just stand there and take the piss out of
> > the cops. They don't care a hoot
> > --
> > Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
>
> Apparently those community officers don't have powers of arrest, but if they
> call for backup from the "real" officers it's there very, very quickly.

Again, at least it's something. I think they're actually scared of
this estate
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 3:01:11 PM

Chris Wright wrote:

> I'm sure that all Americans don't spend all day dodging bullets, but the
> idea that people get guns to protect themselves is self-proliferating.
> Criminals have guns, so everyone needs a gun to defend themselves. So the
> criminals get bigger guns, and so on. I've never been to the USA so I might
> be speaking out of turn, but it seems to me that guns are a cultural thing
> over there that would be extremely difficult to get rid of.

There's really no arms race, a gun is a gun. Give me a 9mm or a .44
Magnum, you don't want to get hit with either. It's the shooter and
circumstances that make the difference.

If someone breaks into my house, my Glock 9mm with hollowpoints is
close at hand. At gunpoint they will be told to handcuff themselves to
a tree in my front yard until the police arrive. If my or my family's
life is in danger, I will not hesitate to shoot the sonofabitch. The
law will most likely be on my side if it comes to that.

Contrast that with the UK, where handguns have been banned and the
crimanals practically have more rights than the homeowners. You don't
take a knife to a gunfight. I realize crime in the UK was bad, but
taking away the citizens best defense against criminals is not exactly
the best solution. I know if I was a burglar I would feel a LOT better
knowing there wasn't a gun in the house I was breaking into.

> I think you mentioned Chris Rock before in the nastier thread. There's a
> good clip of him in "Bowling for Columbine" where he says something like,
> "Let people have guns, but make bullets cost a thousand dollars each." There
> might be some serious merit in that. If people really only used their guns
> in defence of their lives, expensive bullets would be fair enough. After
> all, I would happily use a $1000 bullet to protect my family from an armed
> robber, but if I was a maniac on the loose in a school I wouldn't be able to
> afford to take out many people, would I?

That's an interesting idea, but then bullets would become black
market items and anyone wanting to go on a school shooting spree would
just have to find some black market bullets, or steal them. And people
already have a lot of time and money invested in bullet reloading
equipment.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 8:55:28 PM

> An estate near to me has those 'Community Officers' who don't even have
> the power to arrest. What good is that for apprehending people that
> break the law?

As far as I can tell, they are still civilians, so they have the same rights
with regards to citizen's arrest that you do. In other words, if they
witness a crime, they can arrest the perpetrator. Note that "reasonable
doubt" does not come into it - you can't (for example) arrest a kid with an
airgun for vandalism unless you witness the shot and its effect. Hearing the
glass smash and seeing the kid run away with his gun is not grounds for
citizen's arrest.
June 17, 2005 11:06:38 PM

In article <1119031271.656277.52480@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Mr. Stabby" <control_z@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > I think you mentioned Chris Rock before in the nastier thread. There's a
> > good clip of him in "Bowling for Columbine" where he says something like,
> > "Let people have guns, but make bullets cost a thousand dollars each." There
> > might be some serious merit in that. If people really only used their guns
> > in defence of their lives, expensive bullets would be fair enough. After
> > all, I would happily use a $1000 bullet to protect my family from an armed
> > robber, but if I was a maniac on the loose in a school I wouldn't be able to
> > afford to take out many people, would I?
>
> That's an interesting idea, but then bullets would become black
> market items and anyone wanting to go on a school shooting spree would
> just have to find some black market bullets, or steal them. And people
> already have a lot of time and money invested in bullet reloading
> equipment.

Not to mention how feasible the idea of ultra expensive ammo is. Making
reloading illegal, changing firearms themselves to accept a type of new
ammo system with a trade secret of some sort.

Sure its a funny line from chris rock, but its just not going to happen
anytime soon.

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 1:02:29 PM

Rob White wrote:

> Bring back corporal punushment is what I say.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob

bring back something, anything, that instils respect into the little
darlings
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 1:49:11 PM

In message <4gDse.18772$K5.10063@newsfe4-win.ntli.net>
"G Hardy" <gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote:

> As far as I can tell, they are still civilians, so they have the same rights
> with regards to citizen's arrest that you do. In other words, if they
> witness a crime, they can arrest the perpetrator. Note that "reasonable
> doubt" does not come into it - you can't (for example) arrest a kid with an
> airgun for vandalism unless you witness the shot and its effect. Hearing the
> glass smash and seeing the kid run away with his gun is not grounds for
> citizen's arrest.

A bit nuts really innit?

There was a story in the local paper of a young lad's parents suing a
community officer for attempted assault during a citizen's arrest.

I'm only 22, but if I disrespected the law like some of these
youngsters do I would probably had my head dented by my parents.

Bring back corporal punushment is what I say.

Cheers,
Rob
June 19, 2005 2:20:29 PM

> Rob White wrote:
>
>> Bring back corporal punushment is what I say.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Rob
>
> bring back something, anything, that instils respect into the little
> darlings
> --
> Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
> Stop and Look
> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Recently the owner of a local shop went to put a caffler out the door when
he was causing hassle with some customers.
He told her if she touched him he'd get the 'socials' on her. Guess where he
got that phrase from.
She should have stamped on his head. He could have given the 'socials' a
call when he came out of his coma. Little prick.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 4:04:52 PM

Razor wrote:

> !?!?!?!?!? Where are you living? Sounds like Escape From New York.

:o )) I live on the meadowell Estate, in North Shields, at the mouth
of the Tyne. Just to show you what bollocks people spout about these
things i just did a google and found

"The Meadowell estate is on the eastern edge of the city of Newcastle"

No it's not. It's got bugger all to do with newcastle except it is the
nearest city.

it also seems I made a little mistake, it was the kid's grandad who
thought he wasn't just a joyrider.

Honestly though, this place has always been rough, but where it was
rough and friendly when i was small now it's just rough

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 1:16:16 AM

In message <42B55560.FE96462B@blueyonder.co.uk>
Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> They make you feel like a prisoner in your own home.

And people think that playing GTA makes you a violent criminal.

It really makes me wonder if you have to have a lobotomy on the NHS
before you can become a member of parliament and let the country(ies)
rot the way they have done the last few years.

Everybody somewhere is missing the bigger picture.

Cheers,
Rob
June 20, 2005 12:25:57 PM

Funny, I was listening to "Fisticuffs on Frederick Street" by The Toy
Dolls this morning.

Or is that South Shields?

Phil Hibbs.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 12:28:26 PM

I was looking at some U.S. crime statistics on the DoJ web site a few
years ago, and the levels of teenage gun violence took a sharp turn
downwards in 1993, co-inciding with the release of the computer game
"Doom".

Phil Hibbs.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 2:45:09 PM

Rob White wrote:

> In message <42B55560.FE96462B@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > They make you feel like a prisoner in your own home.
>
> And people think that playing GTA makes you a violent criminal.
>
> It really makes me wonder if you have to have a lobotomy on the NHS
> before you can become a member of parliament and let the country(ies)
> rot the way they have done the last few years.
>
> Everybody somewhere is missing the bigger picture.

well, i play the game and all its previous versions and I'm probably
tamer now than I was when I was their age and didn't play these games.
It's just a sodding lot easier to blame a video game than your own
lousy political inaction I guess. Of course if there's money in it
they'll soon fix it
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 9:13:21 PM

snarks@gmail.com wrote:

> Funny, I was listening to "Fisticuffs on Frederick Street" by The Toy
> Dolls this morning.
>
> Or is that South Shields?
>
> Phil Hibbs.

probably south.... maybe this answers the question?

http://www.southshields-sanddancers.co.uk/old_photos/fr...
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 9:13:46 PM

snarks@gmail.com wrote:

> I was looking at some U.S. crime statistics on the DoJ web site a few
> years ago, and the levels of teenage gun violence took a sharp turn
> downwards in 1993, co-inciding with the release of the computer game
> "Doom".
>
> Phil Hibbs.

they just didn't make big enough guns :o ))

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
June 20, 2005 11:17:22 PM

<snarks@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I was looking at some U.S. crime statistics on the DoJ web site a few
> years ago, and the levels of teenage gun violence took a sharp turn
> downwards in 1993, co-inciding with the release of the computer game
> "Doom".
>
> Phil Hibbs.

Tell that to the poor flesh-eating zombies. They don't have a voice.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 11:42:32 PM

Razor wrote:

> <snarks@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I was looking at some U.S. crime statistics on the DoJ web site a few
> > years ago, and the levels of teenage gun violence took a sharp turn
> > downwards in 1993, co-inciding with the release of the computer game
> > "Doom".
> >
> > Phil Hibbs.
> >

> Tell that to the poor flesh-eating zombies. They don't have a voice.

I thought they went

nnnnnnnnnnn... braaaaaiiinnnn

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 4:05:03 PM

"Cyrus" <invalid@i.like.spam> wrote in message
> In article <1119031271.656277.52480@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> "Mr. Stabby" <control_z@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> > I think you mentioned Chris Rock before in the nastier thread. There's
>> > good clip of him in "Bowling for Columbine" where he says something
>> > like,
>> > "Let people have guns, but make bullets cost a thousand dollars each."
>> > There
>> > might be some serious merit in that. If people really only used their
>> > guns
>> > in defence of their lives, expensive bullets would be fair enough.
>> > After
>> > all, I would happily use a $1000 bullet to protect my family from an
>> > armed
>> > robber, but if I was a maniac on the loose in a school I wouldn't be
>> > able to
>> > afford to take out many people, would I?
>>
>> That's an interesting idea, but then bullets would become black
>> market items and anyone wanting to go on a school shooting spree would
>> just have to find some black market bullets, or steal them. And people
>> already have a lot of time and money invested in bullet reloading
>> equipment.
>>

> Not to mention how feasible the idea of ultra expensive ammo is. Making
> reloading illegal, changing firearms themselves to accept a type of new
> ammo system with a trade secret of some sort.
>
> Sure its a funny line from chris rock, but its just not going to happen
> anytime soon.
>
> --
Well no it probably isn't going to happen, but throwing an idea out because
it might be difficult doesn't make more sense than just leaving things as
they are. A hell of a lot more people get killed with guns under the current
US laws than they do under the current UK ones.
!