Should ATI Radeon x800 Pro work also in Win98?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

I recently upgraded my ATI Radeon 8500LE to an ATI Radeon x800 Pro. I
have a double-boot system with Win98 and WinXP Pro. Win98 was there
mainly for some little older Win9x games that might not run that well
in XP.

Anyway, I removed the ATI Catalyst drivers from Win98, removed 8500,
inserted x800 and tried to install the latest Win98 Catalyst drivers
from ATIs page (CATALYST Windows 98 / ME 4.7, I think).

However, when I try to install it, it says that I don't have the right
hardware combination for the system, or something. The driver
installation aborts.

When I try to install some older Win98 Cat driver pack (I don't
remember which, but it worked with Radeon8500), it seems to install
fine and the system reboots, but the card is still in VGA mode, and
there is no ATI icon in the taskbar, no advanced settings in the
display properties, and display adapter properties still show only a
normal VGA adapter. It is as if the installation didn't actually
install anything.

Should I conclude that x800 series is no longer supported in Win98 at
all? There is only one set of Win98 drivers for all Radeon cards, so I
mistakenly assumed that any Radeon card should work in Win98 with
them.

Needless to say, in WinXP there are no such problems.

Thanks.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

Currently, X800s DO NOT work(properly) in win98/ME, period. They do
claim they will support it in future drivers but don't hold your breath.

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:46:19 GMT, Destroy <ask@meplease.com> wrote:

>Currently, X800s DO NOT work(properly) in win98/ME, period. They do
>claim they will support it in future drivers but don't hold your breath.

Thanks for the info. I'll be waiting then, in the meantime I probably
should check www.ntcompatible.com which games of mine are unplayable
in XP.

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:09:38 GMT, N <n@invalid.invalid.com> wrote:

>I recently upgraded my ATI Radeon 8500LE to an ATI Radeon x800 Pro. I
>have a double-boot system with Win98 and WinXP Pro. Win98 was there
>mainly for some little older Win9x games that might not run that well
>in XP.
>
>Anyway, I removed the ATI Catalyst drivers from Win98, removed 8500,
>inserted x800 and tried to install the latest Win98 Catalyst drivers
>from ATIs page (CATALYST Windows 98 / ME 4.7, I think).
>
>However, when I try to install it, it says that I don't have the right
>hardware combination for the system, or something. The driver
>installation aborts.
>
>When I try to install some older Win98 Cat driver pack (I don't
>remember which, but it worked with Radeon8500), it seems to install
>fine and the system reboots, but the card is still in VGA mode, and
>there is no ATI icon in the taskbar, no advanced settings in the
>display properties, and display adapter properties still show only a
>normal VGA adapter. It is as if the installation didn't actually
>install anything.
>
>Should I conclude that x800 series is no longer supported in Win98 at
>all? There is only one set of Win98 drivers for all Radeon cards, so I
>mistakenly assumed that any Radeon card should work in Win98 with
>them.
>
>Needless to say, in WinXP there are no such problems.
>
>Thanks.
I replaced my ATI 9800 Pro with the new X800 under XP Pro... I had and
older game called Serious Sam 1st encounter that never would play
under the 9800 Pro card... after I installed the X800 I decided to try
the game again... much to my surprise the game works and looks good...
Glenn M
A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:36:51 -0400, Glenn M <> wrote:

>I replaced my ATI 9800 Pro with the new X800 under XP Pro... I had and
>older game called Serious Sam 1st encounter that never would play
>under the 9800 Pro card... after I installed the X800 I decided to try
>the game again... much to my surprise the game works and looks good...

Yes, but my question was about Win98. Does it work also under Win98SE
for you, or only WinXP Pro?