Problem upgrading to XP Pro

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I am upgrading a new Gateway M405 laptop that came with XP Home to XP Pro.
It is stuck with 34 Minutes of Setup Time Remaining. I found a KB article
(316386), but it applies to upgrading a Sony VAIO PCG-FXA portable computer
from Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP Professional, and says you
must install updated drivers before you upgrade your computer to Windows XP.
I've looked on the Gateway site - none of the downloads are XP Pro specific.
What should I do?

--
~ Kathleen Anderson
19 answers Last reply

    Kathleen Anderson wrote:

    > I am upgrading a new Gateway M405 laptop that came with XP Home to XP Pro.
    > It is stuck with 34 Minutes of Setup Time Remaining. I found a KB article
    > (316386), but it applies to upgrading a Sony VAIO PCG-FXA portable computer
    > from Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP Professional, and says you
    > must install updated drivers before you upgrade your computer to Windows XP.
    > I've looked on the Gateway site - none of the downloads are XP Pro specific.
    > What should I do?

    Since the install process is stuck, there isn't much you can do to
    resume it. Try to reboot the system. In some cases the XP install just
    resumes from where it left off, hopefully without a crash this time
    (this happened to me a few times, but they were fresh installs, not
    upgrades). If the install does not resume, the laptop may still boot
    into XP Home or into XP Pro. You may get some errors, but you should be
    able to pull off data that needs to be backed up.

    If your system fails to boot at all (somewhat unlikely) and you still
    have data that isn't backed up, then you may have a problem. You'll need
    to remore the hdd from the laptop and connect it to a desktop (either
    through an IDE adapter or through a USB external enclosure) and retrieve
    your data that way. Once you are done with that, install XP Pro from
    scratch.

    Cosmin
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    In comp.sys.laptops Kathleen Anderson <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org> wrote:
    : I am upgrading a new Gateway M405 laptop that came with XP Home to XP Pro.
    : It is stuck with 34 Minutes of Setup Time Remaining. I found a KB article
    : (316386), but it applies to upgrading a Sony VAIO PCG-FXA portable computer
    : from Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP Professional, and says you
    : must install updated drivers before you upgrade your computer to Windows XP.
    : I've looked on the Gateway site - none of the downloads are XP Pro specific.
    : What should I do?

    A couple of things.

    First of all, make sure you upgrade the laptop's BIOS to the latest
    available version.

    Also, are you doing a clean install of XP Pro or are you trying to do
    an upgrade install on top of your existing XP Home (not even sure you
    can do this)? If you are doing it on top of XP Home, have you run
    Windows Update to get the latest/greatest updates of everything from
    MS before attempting the install?

    Have you contacted Gateway to try to find out if they have any
    feedback on such an upgrade?

    And out of curiosity, why are you upgrading to XP Pro?

    Andrew
    --
    ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Kathleen Anderson" <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org> wrote in message
    |I am upgrading a new Gateway M405 laptop that came with XP Home to XP Pro.
    | It is stuck with 34 Minutes of Setup Time Remaining. I found a KB article
    | (316386), but it applies to upgrading a Sony VAIO PCG-FXA portable
    computer
    | from Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP Professional, and says you
    | must install updated drivers before you upgrade your computer to Windows
    XP.
    | I've looked on the Gateway site - none of the downloads are XP Pro
    specific.
    | What should I do?
    |
    | --
    | ~ Kathleen Anderson

    Hi Kathleen -

    Has your Windows XP Home installation already on the computer been updated
    to SP1 and/or SP2?

    Does your Windows XP Professional CD include SP1/SP2?

    If your Home installation has been updated to SP1 and/or SP2 and your Pro CD
    doesn't match the Service Pack release level, you'll have problems with an
    upgrade installation.

    Your best bet would be to perform a clean installation of XP Pro.
    Alternatively, you could slipstream your XP Pro CD to match the Service Pack
    release level of your Home installation - search on the web (or at
    Microsoft's website) for instructions on slipstreaming.

    Jef
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Here's a pretty comprehensive article on performing a XP slipstream with
    SP2.

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

    The biggest drawback is you have to download the entire 270-some bazilla
    megabyte network install package of SP2 from Microsoft.

    Jef
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    >I am upgrading a new Gateway M405 laptop that came with XP Home to XP Pro.
    >It is stuck with 34 Minutes of Setup Time Remaining. I found a KB article
    >(316386), but it applies to upgrading a Sony VAIO PCG-FXA portable computer
    >from Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP Professional, and says you
    >must install updated drivers before you upgrade your computer to Windows XP.
    >I've looked on the Gateway site - none of the downloads are XP Pro specific.
    >What should I do?

    Just had that with a 366MHz Thinkpad. Removed a stick of RAM and the
    install went fine. This was with a 3 year old BIOS, but a clean
    install.

    ------------
    When your PC gives a little they give a lot.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Cosmin N. <no@email.com> wrote:
    > Kathleen Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> I am upgrading a new Gateway M405 laptop that came with XP Home to
    >> XP Pro. It is stuck with 34 Minutes of Setup Time Remaining. I found
    >> a KB article (316386), but it applies to upgrading a Sony VAIO
    >> PCG-FXA portable computer from Windows Millennium Edition to Windows
    >> XP Professional, and says you must install updated drivers before
    >> you upgrade your computer to Windows XP. I've looked on the Gateway
    >> site - none of the downloads are XP Pro specific. What should I do?
    >>

    > Since the install process is stuck, there isn't much you can do to
    > resume it. Try to reboot the system. In some cases the XP install just
    > resumes from where it left off, hopefully without a crash this time
    > (this happened to me a few times, but they were fresh installs, not
    > upgrades). If the install does not resume, the laptop may still boot
    > into XP Home or into XP Pro. You may get some errors, but you should
    > be able to pull off data that needs to be backed up.

    It finished the task it was stuck on (Installing devices) and now it's stuck
    on Installing Network with 32 minutes to go - and it's been that way all
    night.

    How do I reboot while it's in the middle of an install?

    There's no data on the PC to worry about backing up - it's brand new. I am
    upgrading from XP HOme SP-1 to XP-Pro SP-1a.

    > If your system fails to boot at all (somewhat unlikely) and you still
    > have data that isn't backed up, then you may have a problem. You'll
    > need to remore the hdd from the laptop and connect it to a desktop
    > (either through an IDE adapter or through a USB external enclosure)
    > and retrieve your data that way. Once you are done with that, install
    > XP Pro from scratch.

    Thank you,

    Kathleen
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    > Cosmin N. <no@email.com> wrote:
    >> Kathleen Anderson wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am upgrading a new Gateway M405 laptop that came with XP Home to
    >>> XP Pro. It is stuck with 34 Minutes of Setup Time Remaining. I found
    >>> a KB article (316386), but it applies to upgrading a Sony VAIO
    >>> PCG-FXA portable computer from Windows Millennium Edition to Windows
    >>> XP Professional, and says you must install updated drivers before
    >>> you upgrade your computer to Windows XP. I've looked on the Gateway
    >>> site - none of the downloads are XP Pro specific. What should I do?
    >>>

    >> Since the install process is stuck, there isn't much you can do to
    >> resume it. Try to reboot the system. In some cases the XP install just
    >> resumes from where it left off, hopefully without a crash this time
    >> (this happened to me a few times, but they were fresh installs, not
    >> upgrades). If the install does not resume, the laptop may still boot
    >> into XP Home or into XP Pro. You may get some errors, but you should
    >> be able to pull off data that needs to be backed up.
    >
    > It finished the task it was stuck on (Installing devices) and now it's
    > stuck
    > on Installing Network with 32 minutes to go - and it's been that way all
    > night.
    >
    > How do I reboot while it's in the middle of an install?

    I had that problem once on a laptop...just turn it off with the power
    switch. If the machine has gotten hot that could cause the problem ( if it
    ran all night it's probably very warm) . I'd let it cool down just in case
    that contributed to the problem and then turn it back on making sure it has
    plenty of ventilation. After turning mine back on the upgrade process
    started up again ( went very quickly to where it had stopped, at the 34
    minute mark left on mine also) and finished with no errors.
    HTH,
    Bob
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Andrew <usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com> wrote:
    > In comp.sys.laptops Kathleen Anderson <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org> wrote:
    >> I am upgrading a new Gateway M405 laptop that came with XP Home to
    >> XP Pro. It is stuck with 34 Minutes of Setup Time Remaining. I found
    >> a KB article (316386), but it applies to upgrading a Sony VAIO
    >> PCG-FXA portable computer from Windows Millennium Edition to Windows
    >> XP Professional, and says you must install updated drivers before
    >> you upgrade your computer to Windows XP. I've looked on the Gateway
    >> site - none of the downloads are XP Pro specific. What should I do?
    >
    > A couple of things.
    >
    > First of all, make sure you upgrade the laptop's BIOS to the latest
    > available version.

    I ran Belarc Advisor on the PC before I started the upgrade - the BIOS
    version is the latest according to the Gateway web site.

    > Also, are you doing a clean install of XP Pro or are you trying to do
    > an upgrade install on top of your existing XP Home (not even sure you
    > can do this)?

    I am upgrading the existing XP Home to XP Pro SP-1a - I've done a similar
    upgrade in the past on a SONY desktop and it was successful.

    If you are doing it on top of XP Home, have you run
    > Windows Update to get the latest/greatest updates of everything from
    > MS before attempting the install?

    No, I didn't. I was going to do that after I got XP Pro running.

    > Have you contacted Gateway to try to find out if they have any
    > feedback on such an upgrade?

    No, I don't think they would support it, would they, if I didn't purchase XP
    Pro from them?

    > And out of curiosity, why are you upgrading to XP Pro?

    I need IIS.

    Kathleen
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Jef Norton <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    > "Kathleen Anderson" <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> I am upgrading a new Gateway M405 laptop that came with XP Home to
    >> XP Pro. It is stuck with 34 Minutes of Setup Time Remaining. I found
    >> a KB article (316386), but it applies to upgrading a Sony VAIO
    >> PCG-FXA portable computer from Windows Millennium Edition to Windows
    >> XP Professional, and says you must install updated drivers before
    >> you upgrade your computer to Windows XP. I've looked on the Gateway
    >> site - none of the downloads are XP Pro specific. What should I do?
    >>
    >> --
    >> ~ Kathleen Anderson
    >>

    > Hi Kathleen -
    >
    > Has your Windows XP Home installation already on the computer been
    > updated to SP1 and/or SP2?

    It's SP-1.

    > Does your Windows XP Professional CD include SP1/SP2?

    It's SP-1a.

    > If your Home installation has been updated to SP1 and/or SP2 and your
    > Pro CD doesn't match the Service Pack release level, you'll have
    > problems with an upgrade installation.
    >
    > Your best bet would be to perform a clean installation of XP Pro.

    At this point, I am willing to do that, I just don't know how to stop the
    upgrade process.

    > Alternatively, you could slipstream your XP Pro CD to match the
    > Service Pack release level of your Home installation - search on the
    > web (or at Microsoft's website) for instructions on slipstreaming.

    Kathleen
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Bob <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:
    > "Kathleen Anderson" <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Cosmin N. <no@email.com> wrote:

    >>> Since the install process is stuck, there isn't much you can do to
    >>> resume it. Try to reboot the system. In some cases the XP install
    >>> just resumes from where it left off, hopefully without a crash this
    >>> time (this happened to me a few times, but they were fresh
    >>> installs, not upgrades). If the install does not resume, the laptop
    >>> may still boot into XP Home or into XP Pro. You may get some
    >>> errors, but you should be able to pull off data that needs to be
    >>> backed up.
    >>
    >> It finished the task it was stuck on (Installing devices) and now
    >> it's stuck
    >> on Installing Network with 32 minutes to go - and it's been that way
    >> all night.
    >>
    >> How do I reboot while it's in the middle of an install?
    >
    > I had that problem once on a laptop...just turn it off with the power
    > switch. If the machine has gotten hot that could cause the problem (
    > if it ran all night it's probably very warm) . I'd let it cool down
    > just in case that contributed to the problem and then turn it back on
    > making sure it has plenty of ventilation. After turning mine back on
    > the upgrade process started up again ( went very quickly to where it
    > had stopped, at the 34 minute mark left on mine also) and finished
    > with no errors.

    That's what I just did - I really didn't know what else to do. When I turned
    it back on, I told it to boot from the CD, it detected an install was in
    progress and asked me if I would like to continue it and I said Yes.

    It's back in the install process "Installing Windows - Installing Devices"
    with 35 minutes to go. I'm keeping my fingers crossed :-)

    If this doesn't work, I guess I'll turn it off again, boot from the CD and
    try a clean install.

    Kathleen
  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    > Bob <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >> "Kathleen Anderson" <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org> wrote in message

    >>> It finished the task it was stuck on (Installing devices) and now
    >>> it's stuck
    >>> on Installing Network with 32 minutes to go - and it's been that way
    >>> all night.
    >>>
    >>> How do I reboot while it's in the middle of an install?
    >>
    >> I had that problem once on a laptop...just turn it off with the power
    >> switch. If the machine has gotten hot that could cause the problem (
    >> if it ran all night it's probably very warm) . I'd let it cool down
    >> just in case that contributed to the problem and then turn it back on
    >> making sure it has plenty of ventilation. After turning mine back on
    >> the upgrade process started up again ( went very quickly to where it
    >> had stopped, at the 34 minute mark left on mine also) and finished
    >> with no errors.
    >
    > That's what I just did - I really didn't know what else to do. When I
    > turned
    > it back on, I told it to boot from the CD, it detected an install was in
    > progress and asked me if I would like to continue it and I said Yes.
    >
    > It's back in the install process "Installing Windows - Installing Devices"
    > with 35 minutes to go. I'm keeping my fingers crossed :-)
    >
    > If this doesn't work, I guess I'll turn it off again, boot from the CD and
    > try a clean install.
    >
    > Kathleen

    Kathleen,
    Hang in there ( no pun intended!)...mine seemed to be not responding after
    the restart so I went and did other things ( a watched pot!) and when I
    checked in on it , it had 7 minutes left and finished up with no problems at
    all.
    Good luck..
    Bob
    From NW CT where the fall foliage show will soon be underway ! ( my
    favorite time of year!!!)
  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Bob <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:
    > "Kathleen Anderson" <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Bob <luna5nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:
    >>> "Kathleen Anderson" <spiderwebwoman@mvps.org> wrote in message

    >>> I had that problem once on a laptop...just turn it off with the
    >>> power switch. If the machine has gotten hot that could cause the
    >>> problem ( if it ran all night it's probably very warm) . I'd let it
    >>> cool down just in case that contributed to the problem and then
    >>> turn it back on making sure it has plenty of ventilation. After
    >>> turning mine back on the upgrade process started up again ( went
    >>> very quickly to where it had stopped, at the 34 minute mark left on
    >>> mine also) and finished with no errors.
    >>
    >> That's what I just did - I really didn't know what else to do. When I
    >> turned
    >> it back on, I told it to boot from the CD, it detected an install
    >> was in progress and asked me if I would like to continue it and I
    >> said Yes.
    >>
    >> It's back in the install process "Installing Windows - Installing
    >> Devices" with 35 minutes to go. I'm keeping my fingers crossed :-)
    >>
    >> If this doesn't work, I guess I'll turn it off again, boot from the
    >> CD and try a clean install.
    >>
    >> Kathleen
    >
    > Kathleen,
    > Hang in there ( no pun intended!)...mine seemed to be not responding
    > after the restart so I went and did other things ( a watched pot!)
    > and when I checked in on it , it had 7 minutes left and finished up
    > with no problems at all.
    > Good luck..
    > Bob
    > From NW CT where the fall foliage show will soon be underway ! ( my
    > favorite time of year!!!)

    Well, I finally got this to work - I had to do a clean install and even that
    stalled once, but turning it off and back on did the trick.

    So, my next question is: what's the general consensus on XP SP-2? This
    laptop has wireless, and I've read a number of postings in the
    microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless that SP-2 blew away their
    wireless connection. I'd like a firewall for those times I'm not connected
    through my router, but I've used ZoneAlarm on my other laptop and I have no
    objection to installing it on this laptop.

    Kathleen
    (from central CT where it is an absolutely gorgeous day today)
  13. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    >> Kathleen,
    >> Hang in there ( no pun intended!)...mine seemed to be not responding
    >> after the restart so I went and did other things ( a watched pot!)
    >> and when I checked in on it , it had 7 minutes left and finished up
    >> with no problems at all.
    >> Good luck..
    >> Bob
    >> From NW CT where the fall foliage show will soon be underway ! ( my
    >> favorite time of year!!!)
    >
    > Well, I finally got this to work - I had to do a clean install and even
    > that
    > stalled once, but turning it off and back on did the trick.
    >
    > So, my next question is: what's the general consensus on XP SP-2? This
    > laptop has wireless, and I've read a number of postings in the
    > microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless that SP-2 blew away their
    > wireless connection. I'd like a firewall for those times I'm not connected
    > through my router, but I've used ZoneAlarm on my other laptop and I have
    > no
    > objection to installing it on this laptop.
    >
    > Kathleen
    > (from central CT where it is an absolutely gorgeous day today)

    I had no problem updating with SP2 on my HP ZD7000 series and my old Compaq
    1800T. I've also updated 3 desktops without a hitch. I have read reports
    that people sometimes do have problems. Now would be a good time to do it as
    you have nothing to loose on your machine except the install of XP you just
    did. Check on the Gateway site for any cautions about updating first though.
    They may have updated drivers or other software that needs to be installed
    before the SP2 update. I recommend downloading the whole 266 MB SP2 file to
    do the update. You can burn it to a cd and use it on other machines also.

    70 degrees and sunny here in Litchfield county, couldn't be any better!
    Bob
  14. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Kathleen Anderson wrote:
    [snip]

    > Well, I finally got this to work - I had to do a clean install and even that
    > stalled once, but turning it off and back on did the trick.
    >
    > So, my next question is: what's the general consensus on XP SP-2? This
    > laptop has wireless, and I've read a number of postings in the
    > microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless that SP-2 blew away their
    > wireless connection. I'd like a firewall for those times I'm not connected
    > through my router, but I've used ZoneAlarm on my other laptop and I have no
    > objection to installing it on this laptop.
    >
    > Kathleen
    > (from central CT where it is an absolutely gorgeous day today)

    There isn't a consensus regarding SP2, but I would suggest staying with
    SP1 and all the latest updates without installing SP2 yet. I have
    installed SP2 on this laptop, and the firewall is much weaker than
    stand-alone ones. It does not significantly imrpove Windows security,
    while having that annoying new security applet that is always trying to
    bring up suggestions (I actually disabled it in services). SP2 also
    introduces incompatibilities with a lot of software, including MS's. The
    reason I gave it a try is because this laptop is used only for web
    browsing and emails, but if I were to reinstall it, I wouldn't run SP2
    on it.

    On my desktop, where I do all my work, I am still running SP1.

    Cosmin
  15. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    SP2 is a wonderful upgrade, but for a very small number of reasons,
    about 10% of people have serious problems with it.

    You are in the best possible position, in that you have a clean install
    with no installed software. In that case, I would definitely install
    it, since you can remove it if you have a problem (removal should be
    done via control panel add-remove software).

    If you have a choice, use the full 270 megabyte version do the install.
    Problems are more common when using "Windows Update" to install it.

    Bob wrote:

    >>>Kathleen,
    >>>Hang in there ( no pun intended!)...mine seemed to be not responding
    >>>after the restart so I went and did other things ( a watched pot!)
    >>>and when I checked in on it , it had 7 minutes left and finished up
    >>>with no problems at all.
    >>>Good luck..
    >>>Bob
    >>> From NW CT where the fall foliage show will soon be underway ! ( my
    >>>favorite time of year!!!)
    >>
    >>Well, I finally got this to work - I had to do a clean install and even
    >>that
    >>stalled once, but turning it off and back on did the trick.
    >>
    >>So, my next question is: what's the general consensus on XP SP-2? This
    >>laptop has wireless, and I've read a number of postings in the
    >>microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless that SP-2 blew away their
    >>wireless connection. I'd like a firewall for those times I'm not connected
    >>through my router, but I've used ZoneAlarm on my other laptop and I have
    >>no
    >>objection to installing it on this laptop.
    >>
    >>Kathleen
    >>(from central CT where it is an absolutely gorgeous day today)
    >

    > I had no problem updating with SP2 on my HP ZD7000 series and my old Compaq
    > 1800T. I've also updated 3 desktops without a hitch. I have read reports
    > that people sometimes do have problems. Now would be a good time to do it as
    > you have nothing to loose on your machine except the install of XP you just
    > did. Check on the Gateway site for any cautions about updating first though.
    > They may have updated drivers or other software that needs to be installed
    > before the SP2 update. I recommend downloading the whole 266 MB SP2 file to
    > do the update. You can burn it to a cd and use it on other machines also.
    >
    > 70 degrees and sunny here in Litchfield county, couldn't be any better!
    > Bob

  16. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    I'd disagree that there isn't a consensus.

    The "problems" that people have with SP2 generally fall into the
    following categories:

    1. People using the wrong version. Some people are downloading
    "subset" versions on one PC, trying to use them on another version.
    Using the full 270 megabyte version resolves this problem; subset
    versions downloaded by Windows update are "machine specific" to the
    particular machine on which they were downloaded, and can't be used on
    other machines. ONLY the full 270 megabyte version can be used on a
    machine other than that on which it was downloaded.

    2. People with "Prescott" CPUs and the wrong microcode in the
    motherboard BIOS. This is not a Microsoft problem, the motherboard
    makers need to offer a BIOS with the correct microcode, and the owners
    need to update the BIOS.

    3. People with firewall issues. These people don't really have a
    problem, but they do need to configure their operating systems to
    support the software that they are using. It's a matter of a few mouse
    clicks to tell Windows that it's "OK" for that particular program to do
    something that looks, to the operating system, suspiciously like a
    security problem.

    4. Software programs -- not Windows, but the applications -- that are
    genuinely badly written and that need to be re-written. This is the
    problem of the software publishers, not Microsoft. Examples include
    software that execute code from the data segment (thus violating "data
    execution protection" in new processors).

    I'm not aware of any problems that anyone is having with SP2 that
    doesn't fall into one of these categories.

    Cosmin N. wrote:

    > Kathleen Anderson wrote:
    > [snip]
    >
    >> Well, I finally got this to work - I had to do a clean install and
    >> even that
    >> stalled once, but turning it off and back on did the trick.
    >>
    >> So, my next question is: what's the general consensus on XP SP-2? This
    >> laptop has wireless, and I've read a number of postings in the
    >> microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless that SP-2 blew away their
    >> wireless connection. I'd like a firewall for those times I'm not
    >> connected
    >> through my router, but I've used ZoneAlarm on my other laptop and I
    >> have no
    >> objection to installing it on this laptop.
    >>
    >> Kathleen
    >> (from central CT where it is an absolutely gorgeous day today)
    >>

    > There isn't a consensus regarding SP2, but I would suggest staying with
    > SP1 and all the latest updates without installing SP2 yet. I have
    > installed SP2 on this laptop, and the firewall is much weaker than
    > stand-alone ones. It does not significantly imrpove Windows security,
    > while having that annoying new security applet that is always trying to
    > bring up suggestions (I actually disabled it in services). SP2 also
    > introduces incompatibilities with a lot of software, including MS's. The
    > reason I gave it a try is because this laptop is used only for web
    > browsing and emails, but if I were to reinstall it, I wouldn't run SP2
    > on it.
    >
    > On my desktop, where I do all my work, I am still running SP1.
    >
    > Cosmin

  17. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Check out how many apps are incompatible, many of them Microsoft's own
    apps. The list is a bit shorter now than it was about a month or so
    ago, so if that isn't a good enough reason to wait a while before
    installing SP2, I don't know what is.

    Cosmin

    Barry Watzman wrote:

> [...]
    >>> objection to installing it on this laptop.
    >>>
    >>> Kathleen
    >>> (from central CT where it is an absolutely gorgeous day today)
    >>>

    >> There isn't a consensus regarding SP2, but I would suggest staying
    >> with SP1 and all the latest updates without installing SP2 yet. I have
    >> installed SP2 on this laptop, and the firewall is much weaker than
    >> stand-alone ones. It does not significantly imrpove Windows security,
    >> while having that annoying new security applet that is always trying
    >> to bring up suggestions (I actually disabled it in services). SP2 also
    >> introduces incompatibilities with a lot of software, including MS's.
    >> The reason I gave it a try is because this laptop is used only for web
    >> browsing and emails, but if I were to reinstall it, I wouldn't run SP2
    >> on it.
    >>
    >> On my desktop, where I do all my work, I am still running SP1.

  18. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Kathleen,

    > cut. . .
    > So, my next question is: what's the general consensus on XP SP-2? This
    > laptop has wireless, and I've read a number of postings in the
    > microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless that SP-2 blew away their
    > wireless connection. I'd like a firewall for those times I'm not connected
    > through my router, but I've used ZoneAlarm on my other laptop and I have
    > no
    > objection to installing it on this laptop.

    I have installed SP2 onto my three Gateway computers: A 700XL (non-Gateway
    XP Pro), a 300S (Gateway-supplied XP Home) and this notebook, a 200X
    (Gateway-supplied XP Pro). None has had any problem running or running any
    application software. This includes, in the case of the 300S, application
    software that is written by non-professional developers.

    Go for the upgrade. I would suggest you do as other posters have
    recommended and use the "full" SP2 package. I used Windows Upgrade in all
    three computers to save time, but I think it would be best for you to start
    with the whole package.

    Good luck,

    Turner
  19. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Kathleen Anderson wrote:

    > I am upgrading a new Gateway M405 laptop that came with XP Home to XP
    > Pro.

    Are You trying to do an upgrade or a fresh installation? Upgrades are always
    a source of troubles and should be avoided at all costs..

    Benjamin

Gateway Laptops Windows XP Computers