Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

dead AGP slot? video card running in PCI mode...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2004 9:08:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,nz.comp (More info?)

i've recently done a fresh install of winXP w/SP1. all went fine and i
installed the latest nVidia 61.77 drivers for my GeForce4-MX 440SE.

everything has been ok for a few days, but suddenly windows reports my
card is running in PCI mode...??? i'm 90% sure after i installed XP i
checked the display properties and it said "AGP 4X". i've checked the
bios (i installed the latest version before installing XP) and AGP is
set to 4X, with 128MB aperture.... what gives...? there's no error icons
in Device Manager, but when i check the video card there or in display
properties it says its "installed on the PCI bus, may cause performance
issues" ..???

the card came with no fan just a large sink, could it be overheating or
something...? i was using my 3D app pretty intensivly today for a few
hours... but i've been doing that for years on the same card and i
havn't noticed this... any help would be cool.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 18, 2004 9:11:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,nz.comp (More info?)

btw my other specs are as follows:

Albatron K8X800 ProII (bios 1.09)
380W Antec PSU
Athlon64 3200+
1GB DDR400
WD raptor boot disk
WD caviar AV disk
lucent PCI winmodem
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2004 12:41:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,nz.comp (More info?)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:17:00 +1200, "~misfit~" <misfit61nz@yahoo-mung.co.nz>
wrote:

>gimp wrote:
>> i've recently done a fresh install of winXP w/SP1. all went fine and i
>> installed the latest nVidia 61.77 drivers for my GeForce4-MX 440SE.
>>
>> everything has been ok for a few days, but suddenly windows reports my
>> card is running in PCI mode...??? i'm 90% sure after i installed XP i
>> checked the display properties and it said "AGP 4X". i've checked the
>> bios (i installed the latest version before installing XP) and AGP is
>> set to 4X, with 128MB aperture.... what gives...? there's no error
>> icons in Device Manager, but when i check the video card there or in
>> display properties it says its "installed on the PCI bus, may cause
>> performance issues" ..???
>>
>> the card came with no fan just a large sink, could it be overheating
>> or something...? i was using my 3D app pretty intensivly today for a
>> few hours... but i've been doing that for years on the same card and i
>> havn't noticed this... any help would be cool.
>
>I'd be inclined to use older drivers for that card. The newer drivers are
>more optimised for the FX series of cards and don't work well with GF4's. I
>have a ti4200 and am using 44.03 drivers and it works well.
>
>JMO.



Not if you wan't to run DX9 Compatible games..
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2004 1:34:13 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,nz.comp (More info?)

Karen Parker wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:17:00 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <misfit61nz@yahoo-mung.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> gimp wrote:
>>> i've recently done a fresh install of winXP w/SP1. all went fine
>>> and i installed the latest nVidia 61.77 drivers for my GeForce4-MX
>>> 440SE.
>>>
>>> everything has been ok for a few days, but suddenly windows reports
>>> my card is running in PCI mode...??? i'm 90% sure after i installed
>>> XP i checked the display properties and it said "AGP 4X". i've
>>> checked the bios (i installed the latest version before installing
>>> XP) and AGP is set to 4X, with 128MB aperture.... what gives...?
>>> there's no error icons in Device Manager, but when i check the
>>> video card there or in display properties it says its "installed on
>>> the PCI bus, may cause performance issues" ..???
>>>
>>> the card came with no fan just a large sink, could it be overheating
>>> or something...? i was using my 3D app pretty intensivly today for a
>>> few hours... but i've been doing that for years on the same card
>>> and i havn't noticed this... any help would be cool.
>>
>> I'd be inclined to use older drivers for that card. The newer
>> drivers are more optimised for the FX series of cards and don't work
>> well with GF4's. I have a ti4200 and am using 44.03 drivers and it
>> works well.
>>
>> JMO.
>
>
>
> Not if you wan't to run DX9 Compatible games..



Install motherboard AGP drivers. This is not a gfx driver issue.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2004 2:51:43 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,nz.comp (More info?)

cowboyz wrote:
> Install motherboard AGP drivers. This is not a gfx driver issue.


yep - i forgot to install VIA 4 in 1 drivers - all fixed now and 3D is
way faster.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2004 12:39:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,nz.comp (More info?)

Karen Parker wrote:
>>GF4 has no DX9 support therefore running a driver that does actually slows
>>the card down or worse.

> Funny its one of the cards that is listed for DOOM 3, I am not referring to
> Full blown DX9.
>
> There are 3 levels now of DX9 support.
> All need different 3D cards.
> I think its shader 1,2 & 3

These are simply three different shaders.
Software that uses DX9 can specify which shader they use.

> You do need to do some reading on the matter instead of trying to get into my
> knickers.

ew... Roger, thats just foul, why anyone would want to get into the
pants of a >65 yr old man, who refers to himself using a womans name, is
just absurd.

--
Dave Hall
http://www.dave.net.nz
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2004 12:45:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,nz.comp (More info?)

Karen Parker wrote:
>
> You do need to do some reading on the matter instead of trying to get
> into my knickers.

<puke>
hitting on those "little boys" again Woger ?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 19, 2004 10:27:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,nz.comp (More info?)

> There are 3 levels now of DX9 support.

Wrong. If you don't have DX9 level drivers installed the DX9 runtime will
use emulation through older DirectX interfaces: yessir, there is mechanism
that DX9 application will run on DX8, 7, .. display driver only thing you
need is to have DirectX 9.0x runtimes installed -and- display driver atleast
version Y of DX runtime support. I don't know what is minimum version of
driver runtime the 9.0c supports but it is safe to say that atleast 7. :) 


> All need different 3D cards.

Not really. The driver has freedom to choose what features to expose to the
client. This is determined by the caps bits by the client. DX 9.0c is just
API revision which introduces new features and support mechanism so that
hardware/driver combination can expose the features to the client.


> I think its shader 1,2 & 3

There are more shader versions than that for both VS and PS! The version
numbers just describe the most common denominator feature-set required to
get that version. If someone says they do PS 2.0, it means that the features
specified in the specs should be present. Nothing to do with "3 levels of
DX9 support", that's nonsense.

Good luck!
August 20, 2004 7:22:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,nz.comp (More info?)

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:08:05 +1200, gimp wrote:

> i've recently done a fresh install of winXP w/SP1. all went fine and i
> installed the latest nVidia 61.77 drivers for my GeForce4-MX 440SE.

Motherboard chipset drivers. Install them ;) 

--

.... Brendan

"Life is unfair. Kill yourself or get over it."
- Black Box Recorder

Note: All my comments are copyright 18/08/2004 11:18:15 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
!