Asking For Spooiler--Oysters

For those who've finished the game, what is the reward for the
oysters? I've been swimming my hoofies off, and have most of the
available ones in LS, but I see from on-line maps many of them are not
available until the other cities are unlocked. Is the pay-off great
and worth the tedium?

Steve
--
www.thepaxamsolution.com

Steve Bartman wrote:

> For those who've finished the game, what is the reward for the
> oysters? I've been swimming my hoofies off, and have most of the
> available ones in LS, but I see from on-line maps many of them are not
> available until the other cities are unlocked. Is the pay-off great
> and worth the tedium?
>
> Steve
> --
> www.thepaxamsolution.com

spoiler below

It's not exactly a ball grabber. You get to be sexier or something, as
well as making your lungs stronger. i can't recall whether you get any
points for it... have you noticed if your points/credits go up when
you snare an oyster? I did the whole thing at the start of the game
last time, just for a change, including flying in over the third
island low enough to skim treetops and basically jumping out next to
the locations. I even managed to get two in one go because some poor
guy was passing on his motorbike. Just grabbed the second one before I
got shot to bits.

Was it all worth it? Hell no, unless you really want 100%

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:03:02 GMT, Paul Heslop
<paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Steve Bartman wrote:
>>
>> For those who've finished the game, what is the reward for the
>> oysters? I've been swimming my hoofies off, and have most of the
>> available ones in LS, but I see from on-line maps many of them are not
>> available until the other cities are unlocked. Is the pay-off great
>> and worth the tedium?
>>
>> Steve
>> --
>> www.thepaxamsolution.com
>

>spoiler below

Thanks. No, that doesn't sound like it's worth the trouble. I don't
care about 100%. I never even finished VC and still feel like I got my
money's worth.

Steve
--
www.thepaxamsolution.com

"Steve Bartman" <sbartman@visi.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:03:02 GMT, Paul Heslop
> <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Steve Bartman wrote:
>>>
>>> For those who've finished the game, what is the reward for the
>>> oysters? I've been swimming my hoofies off, and have most of the
>>> available ones in LS, but I see from on-line maps many of them are not
>>> available until the other cities are unlocked. Is the pay-off great
>>> and worth the tedium?
>>>
>>> Steve
>>> --
>>> www.thepaxamsolution.com
>>

>>spoiler below
>
> Thanks. No, that doesn't sound like it's worth the trouble. I don't
> care about 100%. I never even finished VC and still feel like I got my
> money's worth.

You do have to have your lung capacity built up to a certain level before
you can go further in the game... I forget which mission exactly, but it's a
San Fierro mission...

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:18:34 GMT, "Buckaroo Banzai"
<blackhole34@yahoo.com> wrote:

>You do have to have your lung capacity built up to a certain level before
>you can go further in the game... I forget which mission exactly, but it's a
>San Fierro mission...

I'm at about 30% from oyster-hunting now and have just done the
steal-the-sound-system-at-the-beach mission.

Steve
--
www.thepaxamsolution.com

Buckaroo Banzai wrote:

> "Steve Bartman" <sbartman@visi.com> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:03:02 GMT, Paul Heslop
> > <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> >>spoiler below
> >
> > Thanks. No, that doesn't sound like it's worth the trouble. I don't
> > care about 100%. I never even finished VC and still feel like I got my
> > money's worth.
>
> You do have to have your lung capacity built up to a certain level before
> you can go further in the game... I forget which mission exactly, but it's a
> San Fierro mission...

yep, it helps to have a reasonable amount of lung power well before
reaching San Fiero and as there aren't any early missions calling for
it then the oysters can help. I'd say they are more a target than an
actual aid in themselves, something to do while you're diving, which
can be the most boring thing in the game, next to walking from one
side of the map to the other for fun :O)

--

In message <d42ua1l82rl0avjva0qfdkiliobfklg6mh@4ax.com>
Steve Bartman <sbartman@visi.com> wrote:

> For those who've finished the game, what is the reward for the
> oysters? I've been swimming my hoofies off, and have most of the
> available ones in LS, but I see from on-line maps many of them are not
> available until the other cities are unlocked. Is the pay-off great
> and worth the tedium?

<From memory> I'm pretty sure they increase your luck
(Pause Menu: Stats -> Player), as the 50 horseshoes unlock more weapons
for you much much later.

It's possible to get a lot of the oysters by nicking a boat; the game
doesn't penalize you for going out of bounds until you're actually back
on land.

Incidentally, to all you new GTA:SA players, try jacking a Shamal or
Dodo from the Los Santos airport and fly clockwise around the map. See
how loong you can last <grins>

Cheers,
Rob

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:26:30 +0100, Rob White <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com>
wrote:

>Incidentally, to all you new GTA:SA players, try jacking a Shamal or
>Dodo from the Los Santos airport and fly clockwise around the map. See
>how loong you can last <grins>

I stole the Cessna-type plane just to try out the controls. Got
airborne, marveled as I went through clouds, wasn't watching the
chart. Fighter planes. Boom. CJ jumps without a parachute from about
3000 feet. Miraculous survival after hitting at terminal velocity
running in mid-air like Wile E. Coyote.

"Hey" I thought. "Cool. I'll just swim home."

Helicopters shot me down like a dog in the water.

Stole Gulfstream. More careful, still violated magic border in the
sky. Jumped. Landed near cabin cruiser. Hijacked it after gunfight.
Police boat set me on fire; I blew up.

Decided to wait to fly any more.

Steve
--
www.thepaxamsolution.com

In message <bd8ua1hlidjoq954k6fqjgtdalptkojlub@4ax.com>
Steve Bartman <sbartman@visi.com> wrote:

> Thanks. No, that doesn't sound like it's worth the trouble. I don't
> care about 100%. I never even finished VC and still feel like I got my
> money's worth.

You mean you never got to play with the cool toys you get for 100%
completion?

You're gonna kick yourself when you see what you get for SA!

Cheers,
Rob

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:27:54 +0100, Rob White <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com>
wrote:

>In message <bd8ua1hlidjoq954k6fqjgtdalptkojlub@4ax.com>
> Steve Bartman <sbartman@visi.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks. No, that doesn't sound like it's worth the trouble. I don't
>> care about 100%. I never even finished VC and still feel like I got my
>> money's worth.
>
>You mean you never got to play with the cool toys you get for 100%
>completion?
>
>You're gonna kick yourself when you see what you get for SA!

Nah. I bailed when I got to the asset missions. Could never get the
speedboat through all the checkpoints. Never managed the RC missions.
And jumps just aren't that much of a deal to me. Maybe thirty years
ago . . .

I still have it installed. Maybe I'll finish it someday.

Steve
--
www.thepaxamsolution.com

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

Buckaroo Banzai wrote:

> You do have to have your lung capacity built up to a certain level
> before you can go further in the game... I forget which mission
> exactly, but it's a San Fierro mission...

IIRC it was a mission for Wuzi the chinese guy.

beck

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

Steve Bartman wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:18:34 GMT, "Buckaroo Banzai"
> <blackhole34@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> You do have to have your lung capacity built up to a certain level
>> before you can go further in the game... I forget which mission
>> exactly, but it's a San Fierro mission...
>
> I'm at about 30% from oyster-hunting now and have just done the
> steal-the-sound-system-at-the-beach mission.

I recall that mission. Did the dance then stole the van and ended up being
knocked off the road and being lodged between two houses and surrounded by
bushes. There was no way out. Had to get myself killed.

Beck wrote:

> Steve Bartman wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:18:34 GMT, "Buckaroo Banzai"
> > <blackhole34@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> >> You do have to have your lung capacity built up to a certain level
> >> before you can go further in the game... I forget which mission
> >> exactly, but it's a San Fierro mission...
> >
> > I'm at about 30% from oyster-hunting now and have just done the
> > steal-the-sound-system-at-the-beach mission.
>
> I recall that mission. Did the dance then stole the van and ended up being
> knocked off the road and being lodged between two houses and surrounded by
> bushes. There was no way out. Had to get myself killed.

yeah, first time i did it on my own (I used to get my son to do it) I
was driving happily away, got off the beach and onto the main road
when I was slammed by the chasing cars, knocked over the wall and into
that small river thing... jees I was pissed!

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 22:03:13 GMT, Paul Heslop
<paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>yeah, first time i did it on my own (I used to get my son to do it) I
>was driving happily away, got off the beach and onto the main road
>when I was slammed by the chasing cars, knocked over the wall and into
>that small river thing... jees I was pissed!

Of the six tries on the Uncle Sam mission I've done (hate it), I got
out the gate once. Ryder was promptly killed by an exploding crate.
(Well, it did say to throw them. Sheesh.)

Steve
--

> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:26:30 +0100, Rob White <mflt35@dsl.pipex.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Incidentally, to all you new GTA:SA players, try jacking a Shamal or
>>Dodo from the Los Santos airport and fly clockwise around the map. See
>>how loong you can last <grins>
>
> I stole the Cessna-type plane just to try out the controls. Got
> airborne, marveled as I went through clouds, wasn't watching the
> chart. Fighter planes. Boom. CJ jumps without a parachute from about
> 3000 feet. Miraculous survival after hitting at terminal velocity
> running in mid-air like Wile E. Coyote.
>
> "Hey" I thought. "Cool. I'll just swim home."
>
> Helicopters shot me down like a dog in the water.
>
> Stole Gulfstream. More careful, still violated magic border in the
> sky. Jumped. Landed near cabin cruiser. Hijacked it after gunfight.
> Police boat set me on fire; I blew up.
>
> Decided to wait to fly any more.
>
> Steve

The exact same thing happened to me on my first flight. I was enjoying the
high-flying through the clouds and the lovely view so much that I forgot I
was going to be chased down by the Harrier. Next thing I knew I was trying
to swim back to Los Santos under a hail of helicopter gunfire. I didn't last
long.

I still love flying though, even if it is pretty much pointless at the early
stage in the game that I'm at.

Chris Wright wrote:

> > Stole Gulfstream. More careful, still violated magic border in the
> > sky. Jumped. Landed near cabin cruiser. Hijacked it after gunfight.
> > Police boat set me on fire; I blew up.
> >
> > Decided to wait to fly any more.
> >
> > Steve
>
> The exact same thing happened to me on my first flight. I was enjoying the
> high-flying through the clouds and the lovely view so much that I forgot I
> was going to be chased down by the Harrier. Next thing I knew I was trying
> to swim back to Los Santos under a hail of helicopter gunfire. I didn't last
> long.
>
> I still love flying though, even if it is pretty much pointless at the early
> stage in the game that I'm at.

you can kind of dodge the helicopter in water but it makes your
journey massively longer you weave and bob. Don't dive, they can shoot
you under water. Just cheese them off by swimming in zigzag movements
but change them every so often to stop them drawing a bead on you
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Ian

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Chris Wright wrote:
>
> you can kind of dodge the helicopter in water but it makes your
> journey massively longer you weave and bob. Don't dive, they can shoot
> you under water. Just cheese them off by swimming in zigzag movements
> but change them every so often to stop them drawing a bead on you
> --
> Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
> Stop and Look
> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Once while swimming I wandered to close to a bad area and had 4 stars on me.
I then swam up to the police boat jumped on the front killed both cops on
board and sped to safety. I love this game.

I think if you go deep enough under water the helicopter gunfire hits you
less, well maybe I think I might of been zigzagging under water.

--
Best Regards,
Ian

Ian wrote:

> "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Chris Wright wrote:
> >
> > you can kind of dodge the helicopter in water but it makes your
> > journey massively longer you weave and bob. Don't dive, they can shoot
> > you under water. Just cheese them off by swimming in zigzag movements
> > but change them every so often to stop them drawing a bead on you
> > --
> > Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
> > Stop and Look
> > http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
>
> Once while swimming I wandered to close to a bad area and had 4 stars on me.
> I then swam up to the police boat jumped on the front killed both cops on
> board and sped to safety. I love this game.
>
> I think if you go deep enough under water the helicopter gunfire hits you
> less, well maybe I think I might of been zigzagging under water.
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> Ian

I agree that it probably hits you less, but you have to come up for
air and they'll tear you to bits.. I have had some fantastic escapes.
I was once doing the early flying thing when I picked up a harrier,
but very close to Los Santos so I flew as low as I could, managed to
dodge a missile, take one hit then drop the plane so low I jumped from
it onto the roof of a single story house across the road from the safe
house. Of course half the damned police force arrived and started
shooting but my armour got me through them and inside, where I
cheerfully saved the game and walked back out :O))

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

I've been trying to find this. Where can I get a parachute and where is the
cenessa? I only see a corporate jet.

Ben

LtWolfe wrote:

> I've been trying to find this. Where can I get a parachute and where is the
> cenessa? I only see a corporate jet.
>
> Ben

look below

If you jump the fence near the gate to the airport you will see a ramp
on some crates dead ahead. Jump the small fence behind this (or break
it down) and the cessna is just a few yards away, slightly to the
right.

parachutes are mainly found on the top of very high buildings etc.
They are also given to you later in the game when you are 'legally'
flying and jump from an aircraft. there is a tower in Los Santos which
you can enter and it'll take you to the top, then you just nab the
chute. If you look on this map,

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/grand_theft_auto_sa_secrets.png

along with other locations you will see 'downtown skyscraper' marked
with a small orange square. That's the one you should be able to climb
and get the chute. This is probably the easiest early chute to find

--

LtWolfe wrote:

> Hey, I found it.
> Thanks :)

cool!
--

In message <nnfua19fq46ltvf1gsgf3v1v8m3fofs57h@4ax.com>
Steve Bartman <sbartman@visi.com> wrote:

> I stole the Cessna-type plane just to try out the controls. Got
> airborne, marveled as I went through clouds, wasn't watching the
> chart. Fighter planes. Boom. CJ jumps without a parachute from about
> 3000 feet. Miraculous survival after hitting at terminal velocity
> running in mid-air like Wile E. Coyote.

The Dodo is great fun in SA, it actually has wings!

It is possible for CJ to survive falling a long distance if he lands in
water. How deep the water should be is a matter of debate (And it's not
exactly obvious from 3000 feet!), but anywhere a little distance away
from land is a safe bet.

Cheers,
Rob

Rob White wrote:

> In message <nnfua19fq46ltvf1gsgf3v1v8m3fofs57h@4ax.com>
> Steve Bartman <sbartman@visi.com> wrote:
>
> > I stole the Cessna-type plane just to try out the controls. Got
> > airborne, marveled as I went through clouds, wasn't watching the
> > chart. Fighter planes. Boom. CJ jumps without a parachute from about
> > 3000 feet. Miraculous survival after hitting at terminal velocity
> > running in mid-air like Wile E. Coyote.
>
> The Dodo is great fun in SA, it actually has wings!
>
> It is possible for CJ to survive falling a long distance if he lands in
> water. How deep the water should be is a matter of debate (And it's not
> exactly obvious from 3000 feet!), but anywhere a little distance away
> from land is a safe bet.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
> --
> .__ __ |__ |__ .|__ __ | Rob White, Half Man Half Biscuit.
> | / \| \ | | || ||| /__\ | mflt35@dsl.pipex.com
> | \__/|__/ |_|_|| |||__\___ | Wimbledon, London, England.

I've actually landed ON a helicopter which I had jumped from instead
of hitting the water and survived. You can also kind of 'abseil' down
the outside of that spiky building in San Fiero. As it is wedge shaped
if you're lucky when falling you actually connect with the sides.
Instead of killing you, as it would in real life, it kind of lets you
run down and, oof, you're back on your feet.