Which Firewall is Best?

Last response: in Networking
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2004 1:39:30 AM

I have been doing some research on several firewalls and have found
conflicting reviews on which is best. Here is a short list of what I
have found so far:

1. Sygate Pro
2. BlackICE
3. Outpost Pro
4. BitDefender Pro
5. PC-Cillin Internet Security 2004

I am wanting to make the move away from Symantec, but would like some
user experiences on the products before I purchase.

Thanks in advance!!!

More about : firewall

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2004 2:07:02 AM

"Robert Smith" <rsmith.remove@triad.remove.rr.com> wrote in

> I have been doing some research on several firewalls and have found
> conflicting reviews on which is best. Here is a short list of what I
> have found so far:
>
> 1. Sygate Pro
> 2. BlackICE
> 3. Outpost Pro
> 4. BitDefender Pro
> 5. PC-Cillin Internet Security 2004
>
> I am wanting to make the move away from Symantec, but would like some
> user experiences on the products before I purchase.

No one can make your decision but you. Try them all and find the one that
best meets your needs. They all have trial software.

Duane :)
July 28, 2004 2:55:09 AM

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:39:30 GMT, "Robert Smith"
<rsmith.remove@triad.remove.rr.com> wrote:

>I have been doing some research on several firewalls and have found
>conflicting reviews on which is best. Here is a short list of what I
>have found so far:
>
>1. Sygate Pro
>2. BlackICE
>3. Outpost Pro
>4. BitDefender Pro
>5. PC-Cillin Internet Security 2004
>
>I am wanting to make the move away from Symantec, but would like some
>user experiences on the products before I purchase.
>
>Thanks in advance!!!

None of those...

ZoneAlarm (Pro) or Kerio..
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2004 3:15:49 AM

> None of those...
>
> ZoneAlarm (Pro) or Kerio..

Earthling,

Thanks for the reply - never tried Kerio, but I have ZAPro and had some
problems with certain websites when using it... I believe it was
either JAVA or ActiveX problems - can't recall...

--

~~~~~~~~~
Robert Smith

Robert Smith wrote:

> I have been doing some research on several firewalls and have found
> conflicting reviews on which is best. Here is a short list of what I
> have found so far:
>
> 1. Sygate Pro
> 2. BlackICE
> 3. Outpost Pro
> 4. BitDefender Pro
> 5. PC-Cillin Internet Security 2004
>
> I am wanting to make the move away from Symantec, but would like some
> user experiences on the products before I purchase.
>
> Thanks in advance!!!

Just noticed that this post is not showing up on deja... I'm going to
repost in case noone can see this but rr.com users...

--

~~~~~~~~~
Robert Smith

In article <FmBNc.219701$2o2.10938930@twister.southeast.rr.com>, rsmith.remove@triad.remove.rr.com
says...

> > None of those...
> >
> > ZoneAlarm (Pro) or Kerio..
>
> Earthling,
>
> Thanks for the reply - never tried Kerio, but I have ZAPro and had some
> problems with certain websites when using it... I believe it was
> either JAVA or ActiveX problems - can't recall...

Before you buy, you might want to try some of the free versions
to see which one "fits".
Sygate free is at:
http://soho.sygate.com/free/default.php
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2004 1:11:44 PM

Buy yourself a sleek RP614 router. There inexpensive and an effective
firewall.

"Robert Smith" <rsmith.remove@triad.remove.rr.com> wrote in message
news:p uBNc.219704$2o2.10938930@twister.southeast.rr.com...
> Robert Smith wrote:
>
> > I have been doing some research on several firewalls and have found
> > conflicting reviews on which is best. Here is a short list of what I
> > have found so far:
> >
> > 1. Sygate Pro
> > 2. BlackICE
> > 3. Outpost Pro
> > 4. BitDefender Pro
> > 5. PC-Cillin Internet Security 2004
> >
> > I am wanting to make the move away from Symantec, but would like some
> > user experiences on the products before I purchase.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!!!
>
> Just noticed that this post is not showing up on deja... I'm going to
> repost in case noone can see this but rr.com users...
>
> --
>
> ~~~~~~~~~
> Robert Smith
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2004 4:33:12 PM

In article <k5KNc.501$09.98034@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
ktwonnj@NOSPAMoptonline.net says...
> Buy yourself a sleek RP614 router. There inexpensive and an effective
> firewall.

The RP614 is a router with NAT, not a firewall. It is a nice first line
of defense for home users.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2004 5:08:57 PM

7/28/2004 8:33:12 AM

Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message

<MPG.1b71675daad85e6a98a7f7@news-server.columbus.rr.com>

> In article <k5KNc.501$09.98034@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,

> ktwonnj@NOSPAMoptonline.net says...

> > Buy yourself a sleek RP614 router. There inexpensive and an
effective

> > firewall.

> The RP614 is a router with NAT, not a firewall. It is a nice first
line

> of defense for home users.

> spamfree999@rrohio.com

> (Remove 999 to reply to me)

Just checked NetGear's site - I think I may try the FR114P (which has
both NAT and SPI firewall...)

Thanks for the advice!!!
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2004 6:05:40 PM

In article <JzNNc.181526$tH1.7767975@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
rsmith.remove@triad.rr.remove.com says...
> Just checked NetGear's site - I think I may try the FR114P (which has
> both NAT and SPI firewall...)
>
> Thanks for the advice!!!

Just keep in mind one thing - neither NAT or SPI make the device a
firewall. SPI ensures that the traffic that is permitted in is the
correct traffic. NAT and SPI are parts of many firewalls, but they do
not make the device a firewall.

Isn't it wonderful what Marketing types and Sales people can do when
they start playing with words to describe a product :)

Now, for the real info - if you get a router with NAT/SPI, it's a very
nice start, in the old days I used NAT as a border defense method and
additional protections inside the network, even with public facing
services. During that time I ever found an uninvited quest connected to
our systems, but, that was before people really started attacking the
"routers". If you are going to get something with SPI, consider a
Linksys, so that you can download the free WallWatcher software to track
ALL in/out bound traffic - this will let you monitor what stations
INSIDE your network are communicating with OUTSIDE resources, and it
will also show you what outside resources are making connection
attempts. It's a dang nice application - about a year ago he sent me the
source code for it and I modified it to log all the traffic to a SQL
server for reporting, dang nice chap.

I don't know if the Netgear works with WallWatcher, but Linksys was a
number of "Firewall" named units (which are NAT/SPI) that you could pick
from.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2004 7:41:02 PM

7/28/2004 10:05:40 AM

Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message

<MPG.1b717e2a7dd19a298a7f8@news-server.columbus.rr.com>

> In article <JzNNc.181526$tH1.7767975@twister.southeast.rr.com>,

> rsmith.remove@triad.rr.remove.com says...

> > Just checked NetGear's site - I think I may try the FR114P (which
has

> > both NAT and SPI firewall...)

> > Thanks for the advice!!!

> Just keep in mind one thing - neither NAT or SPI make the device a

> firewall. SPI ensures that the traffic that is permitted in is the

> correct traffic. NAT and SPI are parts of many firewalls, but they
do

> not make the device a firewall.

> Isn't it wonderful what Marketing types and Sales people can do
when

> they start playing with words to describe a product :)

> Now, for the real info - if you get a router with NAT/SPI, it's a
very

> nice start, in the old days I used NAT as a border defense method
and

> additional protections inside the network, even with public facing

> services. During that time I ever found an uninvited quest
connected to

> our systems, but, that was before people really started attacking
the

> "routers". If you are going to get something with SPI, consider a

> Linksys, so that you can download the free WallWatcher software to
track

> ALL in/out bound traffic - this will let you monitor what stations

> INSIDE your network are communicating with OUTSIDE resources, and
it

> will also show you what outside resources are making connection

> attempts. It's a dang nice application - about a year ago he sent
me the

> source code for it and I modified it to log all the traffic to a
SQL

> server for reporting, dang nice chap.

> I don't know if the Netgear works with WallWatcher, but Linksys was

> number of "Firewall" named units (which are NAT/SPI) that you could
pick

> from.

> spamfree999@rrohio.com

> (Remove 999 to reply to me)

Leythos,

Thanks for the advice! That's very useful and I'll check out
LinkSys' products as well!
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2004 10:30:48 PM

> I don't know if the Netgear works with WallWatcher, but Linksys was a
> number of "Firewall" named units (which are NAT/SPI) that you could
> pick from.

Just thought I would let you know that the FR114P is at the top of the
WallWatcher Website as being supported (looks like the ONLY NetGear
supported, btw...)

--

~~~~~~~~~
Robert Smith

The RP614 is a firewall. Maybe not your definition of a firewall.

> In article <k5KNc.501$09.98034@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
> ktwonnj@NOSPAMoptonline.net says...
> > Buy yourself a sleek RP614 router. There inexpensive and an effective
> > firewall.
>
> The RP614 is a router with NAT, not a firewall. It is a nice first line
> of defense for home users.

> spamfree999@rrohio.com
> (Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 29, 2004 2:26:39 AM

In article <AHVNc.15311$09.2065528@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
ktwonnj@NOSPAMoptonline.net says...
> The RP614 is a firewall. Maybe not your definition of a firewall.

And since I design secure networks, manage secure networks, etc... all
over the country I would say that my definition carries some weight with
all of our virus free, uncompromised, protected clients. How many
RP614's have you seen protecting businesses where they can state they've
never been compromised? How many home users can state that they've never
been compromised while using the RP614 (I know about 30 that have been
compromised while using one - even with no port forwarding).

What are you saying, are you one of those marketers that claims anything
that blocks anything for any reason is a fully functional firewall?

How about bottom posting too.

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > In article <k5KNc.501$09.98034@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
> > ktwonnj@NOSPAMoptonline.net says...
> > > Buy yourself a sleek RP614 router. There inexpensive and an effective
> > > firewall.
> >
> > The RP614 is a router with NAT, not a firewall. It is a nice first line
> > of defense for home users.
> >
> > --
> > --
> > spamfree999@rrohio.com
> > (Remove 999 to reply to me)

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 29, 2004 2:46:51 AM

"K2NNJ" <ktwonnj@NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote in news:AHVNc.15311
$09.2065528@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

> The RP614 is a firewall. Maybe not your definition of a firewall.

One can call it what one wants. The RP614 cannot be called a true FW
appliance. It's a simple as that. It doesn't meet the specs. It has FW
like capabilities and nothing more. It doesn't take a rocket scientists
to figure it out.

If the RP614 can meet the specs in the link below, then it is a FW
appliance. The RP614 cannot meet the specs.

http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_doe...

No NAT router for home usage such as a RP614 is a FW appliance. It's
plain and simple.

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 29, 2004 3:11:32 PM

"Robert Smith" <rsmith.remove@triad.remove.rr.com> wrote in message news:<shSNc.158145$wH4.8945113@twister.southeast.rr.com>...
> Just thought I would let you know that the FR114P is at the top of the
> WallWatcher Website as being supported (looks like the ONLY NetGear
> supported, btw...)

WallWatcher can be changed to add support for other Routers. The main
requirement is that the Routers must send real-time log records to
SysLog port 514 or SNMPTrap port 162. For more information, go to the
WallWatcher website (www.wallwatcher.com) and find the section on
"Adding support for other Routers."
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 29, 2004 10:57:29 PM

7/29/2004 2:11:32 PM

Dan Tseng - WallWatcher author <newsgroups@wallwatcher.com> wrote in
message

<bfb8d66c.0407291011.3909faee@posting.google.com>

> "Robert Smith" <rsmith.remove@triad.remove.rr.com> wrote in message

> ..

> > Just thought I would let you know that the FR114P is at the top
of the

> > WallWatcher Website as being supported (looks like the ONLY
NetGear

> > supported, btw...)

> WallWatcher can be changed to add support for other Routers. The
main

> requirement is that the Routers must send real-time log records to

> SysLog port 514 or SNMPTrap port 162. For more information, go to
the

> WallWatcher website (www.wallwatcher.com) and find the section on

> "Adding support for other Routers."

Thanks Dan! Just wondering if you happen to know if the NetGear
FVS318 does this or not. I can't seem to find any information on it
on their website...

Thanks!
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 30, 2004 12:28:11 AM

In article <bfb8d66c.0407291011.3909faee@posting.google.com>,
newsgroups@wallwatcher.com says...
> "Robert Smith" <rsmith.remove@triad.remove.rr.com> wrote in message news:<shSNc.158145$wH4.8945113@twister.southeast.rr.com>...
> > Just thought I would let you know that the FR114P is at the top of the
> > WallWatcher Website as being supported (looks like the ONLY NetGear
> > supported, btw...)
>
> WallWatcher can be changed to add support for other Routers. The main
> requirement is that the Routers must send real-time log records to
> SysLog port 514 or SNMPTrap port 162. For more information, go to the
> WallWatcher website (www.wallwatcher.com) and find the section on
> "Adding support for other Routers."

Dan - you are my hero. Back when I wanted to use WW (several years ago)
with my BEFSR41 you sent me the code so that I could change it to log to
my SQL server. You are a great person!

Thanks for making such a great product!

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 30, 2004 1:55:09 AM

On 29 Jul 2004 11:11:32 -0700, newsgroups@wallwatcher.com (Dan Tseng -
WallWatcher author) wrote:

>"Robert Smith" <rsmith.remove@triad.remove.rr.com> wrote in message news:<shSNc.158145$wH4.8945113@twister.southeast.rr.com>...
>> Just thought I would let you know that the FR114P is at the top of the
>> WallWatcher Website as being supported (looks like the ONLY NetGear
>> supported, btw...)
>
>WallWatcher can be changed to add support for other Routers. The main
>requirement is that the Routers must send real-time log records to
>SysLog port 514 or SNMPTrap port 162. For more information, go to the
>WallWatcher website (www.wallwatcher.com) and find the section on
>"Adding support for other Routers."

Thanks for posting Dan,

Nice product, I knocked up some perl about 12 months ago to convert OpenBSD
PF

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/index.html

logging into a pseudo linksys form which could be digested by it.

Seeing, that you're taking requests so to speak LOL.

If you're interested I can collect and send on some PF logs from OpenBSD
and the FreeBSD port of PF within the next day or so.

Greg

--
Konnt ihr mich horen?
Konnt ihr mich sehen?

"Earthling" <frank66@luukkku.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:39:30 GMT, "Robert Smith"
> <rsmith.remove@triad.remove.rr.com> wrote:
>
> >I have been doing some research on several firewalls and have found
> >conflicting reviews on which is best. Here is a short list of what I
> >have found so far:
> >
> >1. Sygate Pro
> >2. BlackICE
> >3. Outpost Pro
> >4. BitDefender Pro
> >5. PC-Cillin Internet Security 2004
> >
> >I am wanting to make the move away from Symantec, but would like some
> >user experiences on the products before I purchase.
> >
> >Thanks in advance!!!
>
> None of those...
>
> ZoneAlarm (Pro) or Kerio..

Why especialy those two? Whats wrong with Sygagte and Outpost?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 31, 2004 6:34:55 PM

"beatnik" <beatnik@mail.gr> wrote in news:ceg029$ot2$1@nic.grnet.gr:

> "Earthling" <frank66@luukkku.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:39:30 GMT, "Robert Smith"
>> <rsmith.remove@triad.remove.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have been doing some research on several firewalls and have found
>> >conflicting reviews on which is best. Here is a short list of what I
>> >have found so far:
>> >
>> >1. Sygate Pro
>> >2. BlackICE
>> >3. Outpost Pro
>> >4. BitDefender Pro
>> >5. PC-Cillin Internet Security 2004
>> >
>> >I am wanting to make the move away from Symantec, but would like some
>> >user experiences on the products before I purchase.
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance!!!
>>
>> None of those...
>>
>> ZoneAlarm (Pro) or Kerio..
>
> Why especialy those two? Whats wrong with Sygagte and Outpost?

Opinions are a dime a dozen and everyone has one.

Duane :)
!