Which firewall is best?

Last response: in Networking
a b 8 Security
July 27, 2004 8:27:43 PM

I have been doing some research on several firewalls and have found
conflicting reviews on which is best. Here is a short list of what I
have found so far:

1. Sygate Pro
2. BlackICE
3. Outpost Pro
4. BitDefender Pro
5. PC-Cillin Internet Security 2004
6. Kerio
7. Tiny

I am wanting to make the move away from Symantec, but would like some
user experiences on the products before I purchase. I'm particularly
interested in your experience with:

1. Tech Support
2. Problems with crashes or compatibility
3. Security flaws

Thanks in advance!!!

PS - I have tried ZAPro and have had some problems with web pages
showing up correctly (either JAVA or ActiveX problems - don't
remember)...

More about : firewall

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 28, 2004 4:12:10 AM

rsmith@triad.rr.com (Robert Smith) wrote in

> I have been doing some research on several firewalls and have found
> conflicting reviews on which is best. Here is a short list of what I
> have found so far:
>
> 1. Sygate Pro
> 2. BlackICE
> 3. Outpost Pro
> 4. BitDefender Pro
> 5. PC-Cillin Internet Security 2004
> 6. Kerio
> 7. Tiny
>
> I am wanting to make the move away from Symantec, but would like some
> user experiences on the products before I purchase. I'm particularly
> interested in your experience with:
>
> 1. Tech Support
> 2. Problems with crashes or compatibility
> 3. Security flaws
>
> Thanks in advance!!!
>
> PS - I have tried ZAPro and have had some problems with web pages
> showing up correctly (either JAVA or ActiveX problems - don't
> remember)...

The bottom line here is that I would recommend a NAT router that costs as
much as any of the products you have mentioned.

You can use any PFW solution behind the NAT router a free one if you
like.

And there are routers that are dial-up too.

The bottom line here is that I would recommend a NAT router that costs as
much as any of the products you have mentioned.

You can use any PFW solution behind the NAT router, which is better
protection and frees the resources on the machine that the O/S and PFW
solution would use to stop scans and attacks. The machine can be doing
more productive things for you.

Duane :)
!