Photorealistic Gaming?

I always wonder what hardware/software it would take to get the same
quality as we saw in the CGI Movie Final Fantasy.
I realize this was a movie and not a video game, Which ARE 2 TOTALLY
different things, but what Kind of CPU Would you need to have
Photorealism In a Game Like GTA, or a FPS?

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003

Samuel wrote:
> I always wonder what hardware/software it would take to get the same
> quality as we saw in the CGI Movie Final Fantasy.
> I realize this was a movie and not a video game, Which ARE 2 TOTALLY
> different things, but what Kind of CPU Would you need to have
> Photorealism In a Game Like GTA, or a FPS?

Have you seen Doom3 or the previews for Half Life 2 and hl2 based Counter
Strike: Source ?
I'd say it's pretty damn close to photorealistic quality, also when you
watch the latest demos for ATI X800 and GeForce 6800 Ultra there isn't much
left for imagination, the quality is stunning.
I think in two, maybe three years, we'll see a game that looks as good or
even better than Final Fantasy the movie (why so long you could ask, well
remember how long it took id Soft. to develope D3).

Your cpu plays a minor role in todays graphics processing, the lifetime of a
cpu (against the murphys law) is enhanced (with a very good graphics card
you can have a slower cpu and still play at highest settings), however in
the place of the cpu the lifetime of a gpu has been reduced. Few years back
we switched entire computers keeping the same graphics card, simply because
there was no need to go above 1MB of VideoRAM , today a one year old
graphics card is considered outdated.

Teq

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Teq wrote:

> Samuel wrote:
>
>>I always wonder what hardware/software it would take to get the same
>>quality as we saw in the CGI Movie Final Fantasy.
>>I realize this was a movie and not a video game, Which ARE 2 TOTALLY
>>different things, but what Kind of CPU Would you need to have
>>Photorealism In a Game Like GTA, or a FPS?
>

> Have you seen Doom3 or the previews for Half Life 2 and hl2 based Counter
> Strike: Source ?
> I'd say it's pretty damn close to photorealistic quality, also when you
> watch the latest demos for ATI X800 and GeForce 6800 Ultra there isn't much
> left for imagination, the quality is stunning.

They could make them naked. Now that would be interesting. ;)

<SamuelF566@AOL.COM> wrote in message
> I always wonder what hardware/software it would take to get the same
> quality as we saw in the CGI Movie Final Fantasy.
> I realize this was a movie and not a video game, Which ARE 2 TOTALLY
> different things, but what Kind of CPU Would you need to have
> Photorealism In a Game Like GTA, or a FPS?

Not for games, put I think this is at the top end for PC based graphics:
http://www.3dlabs.com/products/product.asp?prod=293

Anyway, there's no such thing as photorealistic computer graphics yet, even
in film.

To my eyes, the original Star Wars films made using models look far more
reastic than the recent films. And nothing made using computer graphics
looks anything as reastic as 2001: a space oddysey. And that was made
nearly 40 years ago.

ss.