DVD - R verses DVD + R Technologies?

Greetings,

I would like to know what types of media works best with the DVD - R and
the DVD - R technologies. I would like to know which technologies works best
for movies, photos, and data storage.

For example, if I want to store photos should I use the DVD - R or the DVD +
R disks? Likewise, if I want to make a copy of my digital movies would it be
best to use a DVD - R disk or a DVD + R disk.

Thank you in advance for your comments, insight, and help to understand
this.

Leer
3 answers Last reply
More about verses technologies

    To determine which format is "best" check the requirements of the devices
    which will ultimately play the dvds. In my case only -R & -RW will work in
    my DVD player.

    A second consideration is to determine what manufacturer's blank dvd disks
    will work on the specific writer you have. In my case (NEC -on Gateway
    710xl) the writer won't even recognize that -R/RW Memorex disks are
    inserted. It does work fine with Verbatim. Check the writer manufacturer's
    site for clues. In the case of +R/RW disks I didn't have any problems with
    Imation disks - luck or engineering who knows?

    Good luck
    "Leer" <lgh@cts.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I would like to know what types of media works best with the DVD - R and
    > the DVD - R technologies. I would like to know which technologies works
    > best for movies, photos, and data storage.
    >
    > For example, if I want to store photos should I use the DVD - R or the DVD
    > + R disks? Likewise, if I want to make a copy of my digital movies would
    > it be best to use a DVD - R disk or a DVD + R disk.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your comments, insight, and help to understand
    > this.
    >

    > Leer

    It depends on your hardware. The - format is older and better supported by
    consumer players.

    If you have a DVD writer, consult its manual - if you don't, a
    universal-format writer will let you use any of the + or - (and sometimes
    the older DVD-RAM) meda.

    "Leer" <lgh@cts.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I would like to know what types of media works best with the DVD - R and
    > the DVD - R technologies. I would like to know which technologies works
    best
    > for movies, photos, and data storage.
    >
    > For example, if I want to store photos should I use the DVD - R or the DVD
    +
    > R disks? Likewise, if I want to make a copy of my digital movies would it
    be
    > best to use a DVD - R disk or a DVD + R disk.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for your comments, insight, and help to understand
    > this.
    >

    > Leer

    Tom,

    Thanks for your comments.

    My drive, LITE-ON LDW-851SBK, is a combination drive that supports:
    DVD+R / DVD+RW / DVD-R / DVD-RW /DVD-ROM /CD-R / CD-RW / CD-ROM.

    So in the DVD mode I was just curious:
    If I want to store photos would it be best if I use the DVD - R or the DVD +
    R disks?
    Likewise, if I want to make a copy of my digital movies would it be best to
    use a DVD - R disk or a DVD + R disk.

    For data storage I use the CD-RW Sony or TDX storage disks.

    Thanks again, Tom.

    I am curious and just want to know.

    Leer

    "Tom Clydesdale" <t.clydesdale.nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > To determine which format is "best" check the requirements of the devices
    > which will ultimately play the dvds. In my case only -R & -RW will work
    > in my DVD player.
    >
    > A second consideration is to determine what manufacturer's blank dvd disks
    > will work on the specific writer you have. In my case (NEC -on Gateway
    > 710xl) the writer won't even recognize that -R/RW Memorex disks are
    > inserted. It does work fine with Verbatim. Check the writer
    > manufacturer's site for clues. In the case of +R/RW disks I didn't have
    > any problems with Imation disks - luck or engineering who knows?
    >
    > Good luck
    > "Leer" <lgh@cts.com> wrote in message
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> I would like to know what types of media works best with the DVD - R and
    >> the DVD - R technologies. I would like to know which technologies works
    >> best for movies, photos, and data storage.
    >>
    >> For example, if I want to store photos should I use the DVD - R or the
    >> DVD + R disks? Likewise, if I want to make a copy of my digital movies
    >> would it be best to use a DVD - R disk or a DVD + R disk.
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance for your comments, insight, and help to understand
    >> this.
    >>

    >> Leer

Gateway DVD DVD Writers Computers