Geforce4 and DX9

I have a Geforce4 Ti4200......128mgs memory on a XP P4 5.2 512 Ram.
My question is I want to play the new Myst 4 game and it reguires a DX9
compatible video card, They list the cards that "will" play the game and
they list the Geforce family..2/3/4/ etc. Now I thought the Geforce cards
couldn't work with DX9 atleast without a new driver to do so!
Can the geforce 4 card play this game?!?!?! Or does it need a new driver
to use DX9 and if so Where is the Driver and what is its name!!!! This card
has played everything I have played with everything turned on..but then
again I only play Adventure Games. I knew that some day even them would need
the DX9!
I was just hoping the Geforce came out with a Driver for it.
Thanks for helping!

Thanks .........Penny AKA: LadyGamer

pennym@icehouse.net

pennym wrote:

> I have a Geforce4 Ti4200......128mgs memory on a XP P4 5.2 512 Ram.
> My question is I want to play the new Myst 4 game and it reguires a
> DX9
> compatible video card, They list the cards that "will" play the game and
> they list the Geforce family..2/3/4/ etc. Now I thought the Geforce
> cards couldn't work with DX9 atleast without a new driver to do so!
> Can the geforce 4 card play this game?!?!?! Or does it need a new
> driver
> to use DX9 and if so Where is the Driver and what is its name!!!! This
> card has played everything I have played with everything turned on..but
> then again I only play Adventure Games. I knew that some day even them
> would need the DX9!
> I was just hoping the Geforce came out with a Driver for it.
> Thanks for helping!

There's a lot of bull being spread about DirectX 9 compatibility.

You don't need some special driver. There is a myth that the driver has to
provide software emulation of features that the hardware does not
accelerate. This is incorrect--the software emulation is built into
DirectX and will be used if hardware accelerators are not detected.

Any video board sold in the past 5 years or so can run DirectX 9. What it
doesn't do is provide hardware acceleration of the new features that were
added when DirectX went from 8.1 to 9. It's unlikely that Myst 4 needs
those features.

If you haven't updated your drivers from the nvidia site in a while, you may
need to--if they're very old they may have some issues with newer software.

> Thanks .........Penny AKA: LadyGamer
>
> pennym@icehouse.net

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)