Can my MoBo destroy my graphics card?!

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

I think I killed two graphics cards tonight. :(
Have had a GeForcFX 5600 Ultra on my Abit KT7A-RAID (v1.3) for months now,
with no problems. Tonight I powered down my computer to test an old hard
drive. When trying to power up my machine wouldn't boot - fans spinning,
disks whirring, but no video signal, and no BIOS beeps telling me there was
no graphics card either. Tried reseating, rebooting with less drives etc.
but it made no difference.
Replacing the card with an older GeForce 4 4200Ti worked. For a while.... I
was just in the middle of formatting the drive under DOS, when the monitor
gave me a "frequency out of range" message and went black. Can you guess
what happened when I tried to reboot? Same as with the other card, won't
boot.
What the hell has happened?? Have I hosed two perfectly good GeForces? Is
it my board that's killing them? Or maybe the monitor?
I put in an even older card, a 3dfx Voodoo3, which is working, thank God.
Didn't want to boot into Windows though so just fiddled around in DOS a
bit. Terrified to do anything more. :\
Has anyone seen anything like this before? Got any suggestions?

Thanks loads for your help,

Cheers
Mike

If the KT7 is like an older mobo I used to have, there is a separate
power supply just for AGP. If this isn't working then that would
explain it. You should have also have smelled burning chips if so.
Also your 3dfx card should be getting extremely hot. I would check
it.

If it is an AGP voltage problem, then you might want to relegate the
mobo to pci only video cards.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 03:06:25 +0100, Mike <mdh@deadspam.com> wrote:

>I think I killed two graphics cards tonight. :(
>Have had a GeForcFX 5600 Ultra on my Abit KT7A-RAID (v1.3) for months now,
>with no problems. Tonight I powered down my computer to test an old hard
>drive. When trying to power up my machine wouldn't boot - fans spinning,
>disks whirring, but no video signal, and no BIOS beeps telling me there was
>no graphics card either. Tried reseating, rebooting with less drives etc.
>but it made no difference.
>Replacing the card with an older GeForce 4 4200Ti worked. For a while.... I
>was just in the middle of formatting the drive under DOS, when the monitor
>gave me a "frequency out of range" message and went black. Can you guess
>what happened when I tried to reboot? Same as with the other card, won't
>boot.
>What the hell has happened?? Have I hosed two perfectly good GeForces? Is
>it my board that's killing them? Or maybe the monitor?
>I put in an even older card, a 3dfx Voodoo3, which is working, thank God.
>Didn't want to boot into Windows though so just fiddled around in DOS a
>bit. Terrified to do anything more. :\
>Has anyone seen anything like this before? Got any suggestions?
>
>Thanks loads for your help,
>
>Cheers
>Mike

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 03:06:25 +0100, Mike <mdh@deadspam.com> wrote:

>What the hell has happened??

Take a close look at the capacitors (the metal can thingies) on your
motherboard, especially the ones near the AGP slot. Are the tops flat
(good) or bulging (bad)? Are any of them leaking brown goo (very bad)?

If you have any bad capacitors, they or the whole mobo will need to be
replaced. See http://www.motherboardrepair.com/

Oh, and test out your vid cards in another machine, see if they really
are dead. :)

Possibly the power supply since the older card is working fine still, the
newer cards draw much more power.

AMDr

"Mike" <mdh@deadspam.com> wrote in message
> I think I killed two graphics cards tonight. :(
> Have had a GeForcFX 5600 Ultra on my Abit KT7A-RAID (v1.3) for months now,
> with no problems. Tonight I powered down my computer to test an old hard
> drive. When trying to power up my machine wouldn't boot - fans spinning,
> disks whirring, but no video signal, and no BIOS beeps telling me there
was
> no graphics card either. Tried reseating, rebooting with less drives etc.
> but it made no difference.
> Replacing the card with an older GeForce 4 4200Ti worked. For a while....
> was just in the middle of formatting the drive under DOS, when the monitor
> gave me a "frequency out of range" message and went black. Can you guess
> what happened when I tried to reboot? Same as with the other card, won't
> boot.
> What the hell has happened?? Have I hosed two perfectly good GeForces? Is
> it my board that's killing them? Or maybe the monitor?
> I put in an even older card, a 3dfx Voodoo3, which is working, thank God.
> Didn't want to boot into Windows though so just fiddled around in DOS a
> bit. Terrified to do anything more. :\
> Has anyone seen anything like this before? Got any suggestions?
>
> Thanks loads for your help,
>
> Cheers
> Mike

Mike

Splendid

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 07:39:20 GMT, Satan's Little Sister wrote:

> Take a close look at the capacitors (the metal can thingies) on your
> motherboard, especially the ones near the AGP slot. Are the tops flat
> (good) or bulging (bad)? Are any of them leaking brown goo (very bad)?

Nope, already checked that, the caps seem OK and I see nothing obviously
burnt or blackened.

> Oh, and test out your vid cards in another machine, see if they really
> are dead. :)

I'll try and dig up a spare MoBo from somewhere to try it out. Thanks for
your reply!

Mike

--
And he glanced a glance at the stars
Then said: Lo! I feel sick!

mark

Check out voltages in bios 12 volt should be within +/- 5% and 5 volt within +/- 3% most times I find the power supply
is the main culprit for a flaky system either under powered or getting old an tired.
If you have overclocked your M/B and left the agp bus ratio 1/1 bus speed could be too far out of spec for your card.
If you can't get it to boot hold the keyboard insert key down whilst powering up this will reset bios to default setup.
Not sure on the age of this board as to which era it came from posibility the electrolytic capacitors need a look at to
see if any are swollen or leaking.

Regards Mark C

Mike wrote:

> I think I killed two graphics cards tonight. :(
> Have had a GeForcFX 5600 Ultra on my Abit KT7A-RAID (v1.3) for months
> now, with no problems. Tonight I powered down my computer to test an
> old hard drive. When trying to power up my machine wouldn't boot -
> fans spinning, disks whirring, but no video signal, and no BIOS beeps
> telling me there was no graphics card either. Tried reseating,
> rebooting with less drives etc. but it made no difference.
> Replacing the card with an older GeForce 4 4200Ti worked. For a
> while.... I was just in the middle of formatting the drive under DOS,
> when the monitor gave me a "frequency out of range" message and went
> black. Can you guess what happened when I tried to reboot? Same as
> with the other card, won't boot.
> What the hell has happened?? Have I hosed two perfectly good
> GeForces? Is it my board that's killing them? Or maybe the monitor?
> I put in an even older card, a 3dfx Voodoo3, which is working, thank
> God. Didn't want to boot into Windows though so just fiddled around
> in DOS a bit. Terrified to do anything more. :\
> Has anyone seen anything like this before? Got any suggestions?
>
> Thanks loads for your help,
>
> Cheers
> Mike

I actually think your monitor is on the way out .. try it with a
different monitor.

regards

@ndrew

Mike

Splendid

On 7 Sep 2004 15:41:02 -0700, Lisandro Pin wrote:

> I had a similar problem not too long ago, check here:
>
> http://p199.ezboard.com/fk7s5amotherboardforumfrm10.showMessage?topicID=1591.topic

Thanks Lisandro, interesting read. Unfortunately it seems our problems are
subtly different - I tried a replacement MoBo which didn't improve things.
So I really think it is the graphics card. I did have a good look at my AGP
slot just now though, can't see any bent pins though. If only....

Cheers,
Mike