FYI: Verizon Wireless equipment changes soon.

I just spoke to a verizon rep. yesterday about some thing on my account and
towards the end of the conversation I asked if I would have to pay full
price if I wanted to upgrade my equipment. Then the rep said softly that
some time in the middle of August or September, Verizon is changing that way
existing customers can swap and upgrade there equipment. The VZW rep could
not go in to any more details and told me to keep a look out for the
changes.
10 answers Last reply
More about verizon wireless equipment soon

    Viper suggests:

    > I just spoke to a verizon rep. yesterday, the rep
    > said softly that some time in the middle of August
    > or September, Verizon is changing that way
    > existing customers can swap and upgrade there
    > equipment.

    Here is my prediction (I sincerely hope I am mistaken):

    Say you buy a phone that costs $499 - okay, that's actually 500 bucks.

    In order to get that particular phone for free, you sign up for a 5 year
    contract. When you do, you pay full price for the phone, then every year,
    Verizon Wireless credits your account $100 until the price is paid in full.

    Then you are eligible for another phone upgrade.

    In theory, if you buy a cheap phone for $100 bucks or less, you are locked
    in for only 1 year.

    Anyone else want to contribute your own theories as to what VW might do?

    --
    ______________
    =====fish=====

    > Anyone else want to contribute your own theories as to what VW might do?

    Sure...

    "Verizon is changing that way existing customers can swap
    and upgrade there equipment."

    VZW will begin charging a $15 ESN change fee on top of requiring full retail
    price on upgrades inside of the new every two time requirement.

    -Frank

    Frankster suggested to fish e. fish:

    >> Anyone else want to contribute your own theories as to what VW might do?
    >
    > Sure...
    >
    > VZW will begin charging a $15 ESN
    > change fee on top of requiring full retail
    > price on upgrades inside of the new
    > every two time requirement.

    If they do that, it may not be competitive with the market.

    --
    ______________
    =====fish=====

    Actually, they have already announced that this will begin on Aug 1st.

    -Frank

    "fish" <i.am.such.a.fish@atlantic.ocean> wrote in message
    > Frankster suggested to fish e. fish:
    >
    >>> Anyone else want to contribute your own theories as to what VW might do?
    >>
    >> Sure...
    >>
    >> VZW will begin charging a $15 ESN
    >> change fee on top of requiring full retail
    >> price on upgrades inside of the new
    >> every two time requirement.
    >
    > If they do that, it may not be competitive with the market.
    >
    > --
    > ______________
    > =====fish=====

    So, wait a minute, the $100 upgrade actually becomes an $85 upgrade?

    fish wrote:
    > Viper suggests:
    >
    >> I just spoke to a verizon rep. yesterday, the rep
    >> said softly that some time in the middle of August
    >> or September, Verizon is changing that way
    >> existing customers can swap and upgrade there
    >> equipment.
    >
    > Here is my prediction (I sincerely hope I am mistaken):
    >
    > Say you buy a phone that costs $499 - okay, that's
    > actually 500 bucks.
    >
    > In order to get that particular phone for free, you sign
    > up for a 5 year contract. When you do, you pay full price
    > for the phone, then every year, Verizon Wireless credits
    > your account $100 until the price is paid in full.
    >
    > Then you are eligible for another phone upgrade.
    >
    > In theory, if you buy a cheap phone for $100 bucks or
    > less, you are locked in for only 1 year.

    I really don't think they'd do anything like this. I believe
    the main reason for subsidized equipment is to remove
    a "barrier to entry" for customers. Many/most people
    look at immediate cost and not over the long term.
    For example if you offered the following 2 options.
    1) low/no cost phone up front with slightly higher
    monthly charge and
    2) full cost phone with lower monthly charge.
    Option 2 has a lower total cost than option 1 and
    both have the same contract termination date and
    ETF.

    My guess is that the (large) majority of VZW customers
    would take option 1.

    -Quick

    They are already doing that in some markets, Cincinnati for one.

    As viewed from alt.cellular.verizon, Frankster wrote:

    >"fish" wrote...
    >>Frankster suggested to fish e. fish:
    >>> VZW will begin charging a $15 ESN
    >>> change fee on top of requiring full retail
    >>> price on upgrades inside of the new
    >>> every two time requirement.

    >> If they do that, it may not be competitive with the market.

    >Actually, they have already announced that this will begin
    >on Aug 1st.

    Cite?

    --
    Jafo

    Frankster wrote:
    > VZW will begin charging a $15 ESN change fee on top of requiring full retail
    > price on upgrades inside of the new every two time requirement.
    >
    > -Frank

    That should be "already charges" I tried to do a swap a couple of days
    ago and was told that there was a $15 charge but that I could do it
    myself via the web for no charge.

    jt

    I live in the Cincinnati ares. Northern Kentucky. What changes are they
    doing and where do I find out what the changes are?

    > fish wrote:
    >> Viper suggests:
    >>
    >>> I just spoke to a verizon rep. yesterday, the rep
    >>> said softly that some time in the middle of August
    >>> or September, Verizon is changing that way
    >>> existing customers can swap and upgrade there
    >>> equipment.
    >>
    >> Here is my prediction (I sincerely hope I am mistaken):
    >>
    >> Say you buy a phone that costs $499 - okay, that's
    >> actually 500 bucks.
    >>
    >> In order to get that particular phone for free, you sign
    >> up for a 5 year contract. When you do, you pay full price
    >> for the phone, then every year, Verizon Wireless credits
    >> your account $100 until the price is paid in full.
    >>
    >> Then you are eligible for another phone upgrade.
    >>
    >> In theory, if you buy a cheap phone for $100 bucks or
    >> less, you are locked in for only 1 year.
    >
    > I really don't think they'd do anything like this. I believe
    > the main reason for subsidized equipment is to remove
    > a "barrier to entry" for customers. Many/most people
    > look at immediate cost and not over the long term.
    > For example if you offered the following 2 options.
    > 1) low/no cost phone up front with slightly higher
    > monthly charge and
    > 2) full cost phone with lower monthly charge.
    > Option 2 has a lower total cost than option 1 and
    > both have the same contract termination date and
    > ETF.
    >
    > My guess is that the (large) majority of VZW customers
    > would take option 1.
    >
    > -Quick

Verizon Wireless Internet Service Providers