Bright horizontal line -- what causes?

I've just installed a new monitor (old one high voltage ps died).
Occasionally, the image will contract to a blindingly bright horizontal
line in the middle of the screen with the rest of the screen black.
Sometimes it recovers by itself; cycling power on the monitor has
always worked so far.

If I recall my CRT electronics correctly (and it's been a long, long
time), this suggests one of the vertical control components of the
monitor is faulty.

What is the phrase I am looking for to describe the failing component?

Can this be caused by anything other than a failure of the electronics
in the monitor? If so, by what? (Video card is a almost four-year old
GeForce 2 MX.)

Thanks.

Guy

Guy:
It sounds like the monitor has a vertical sweep problem.
I would think that you have a bad solder connection on the
pins of the vertical output IC. This is a fairly common problem.
Very easy to fix. The vertical IC is on a heat sink. If you cannot
identify it, just check all the pins on the IC's that are attached
to heat sinks and resolder all the pins.
John

"Guy Scharf" <guy@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> I've just installed a new monitor (old one high voltage ps died).
> Occasionally, the image will contract to a blindingly bright horizontal
> line in the middle of the screen with the rest of the screen black.
> Sometimes it recovers by itself; cycling power on the monitor has
> always worked so far.
>
> If I recall my CRT electronics correctly (and it's been a long, long
> time), this suggests one of the vertical control components of the
> monitor is faulty.

Exactly right. What you're describing is failure of the vertical
deflection. It could be as simple as an intermittent connection
somewhere in the vertical output, possibly at the connector to
the yoke itself. Since it IS intermittent, it's either something
like this or something in the vertical output that is having]
thermal problems, as opposed to being a hard failure of,
say, the vertical output transistor or an associated component.
It's definitely in the monitor, though - a loss of vertical sync
from the graphics card does NOT result in this symptom.

Bob M.

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 03:28:10 GMT, "Bob Myers" <nospamplease@address.invalid>
wrote:

>"Guy Scharf" <guy@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> I've just installed a new monitor (old one high voltage ps died).
>> Occasionally, the image will contract to a blindingly bright horizontal
>> line in the middle of the screen with the rest of the screen black.
>> Sometimes it recovers by itself; cycling power on the monitor has
>> always worked so far.
>>
>> If I recall my CRT electronics correctly (and it's been a long, long
>> time), this suggests one of the vertical control components of the
>> monitor is faulty.

==================================

Return it as defective to the vendor immediately.

Jack

J. Yazel <jyazel@ds.net> wrote:

> Return it as defective to the vendor immediately.

I have done so.

I wanted to make sure I was using the correct terminology when I talked
with them. I had no intention of doing anything other than returning
it if it was a monitor failure, which it is and which I have doubly
confirmed my trying it on another computer.

Guy