best linux firewall with p2p blocking and wireless-cafe/WI..

Hello,

I'm going to setup a good firewall for a university wifi network. For
legal reasons we need to block P2P traffic. We also would like to
redirect new users to a sign-in page on first use (similar to wayport
or other wireless cafe type setups) in order to control access to the
network.

Good traffic monitoring capabilities (on the IP/mac level) would be a
plus as well (something similar to ntop)

I'm planning on going with IPCop and tweaking it, but does anyone else
have any better suggestions?

--Matt
2 answers Last reply
More about best linux firewall blocking wireless cafe

    On 27 Jul 2004 23:06:31 -0700, the right honourable mmucklo@yahoo.com
    (Matthew Mucklo) wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I'm going to setup a good firewall for a university wifi network. For
    >legal reasons we need to block P2P traffic. We also would like to
    >redirect new users to a sign-in page on first use (similar to wayport
    >or other wireless cafe type setups) in order to control access to the
    >network.
    >
    >Good traffic monitoring capabilities (on the IP/mac level) would be a
    >plus as well (something similar to ntop)
    >
    >I'm planning on going with IPCop and tweaking it, but does anyone else
    >have any better suggestions?
    >

    >--Matt

    Linux with IPTables is good.

    Start by closing the FW completely, then add rules to open it for only
    the stuff you want to allow.

    look at http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com
    He's written a nice book on security.

    Prepare to study a LOT.

    Have a look at SNORT for intrusion detection.

    frgr
    Erik

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 at 06:06 GMT, Matthew Mucklo <mmucklo@yahoo.com> spewed
    into the usenet group comp.security.firewalls:

    Sounds like you want nocat ( http://nocat.net/ )

    > Good traffic monitoring capabilities (on the IP/mac level) would be a
    > plus as well (something similar to ntop)

    Just use nocat on Linux, then run ntop and iptables on it.

    Devdas Bhagat

Firewalls Wireless P2P Networking