Good PCI TV Tuner and FM Stereo card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
September 13, 2004 10:25:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

I've been researching different cards, and it looks like there are about
5 or 6 major mfg's, but they all seem to have their pros and cons.

I'm looking for some advice based on the following desires:

Must have:

1. PCI TV 125 ch stereo Tuner & Remote
2. FM Stereo tuner
3. time/channel scheduling features for

Nice to have:

1. MPEG4 hardware encoding.
2. MPEG1/2 hardware encoding.
3. Wake up scheduling from Poweroff or Hibernate.

I have a Dell Optiplex GX-150 (256mb RAM, 1 GHZ PIII)...so that limits
my choices too.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Mike
September 13, 2004 10:25:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

M.,

MO> I'm looking for some advice based on the following desires:

MO> Must have:

MO> 1. PCI TV 125 ch stereo Tuner & Remote
MO> 2. FM Stereo tuner
MO> 3. time/channel scheduling features for

MO> Nice to have:

MO> 1. MPEG4 hardware encoding.
MO> 2. MPEG1/2 hardware encoding.
MO> 3. Wake up scheduling from Poweroff or Hibernate.

MO> I have a Dell Optiplex GX-150 (256mb RAM, 1 GHZ PIII)...so that limits
MO> my choices too.

MO> Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have the MSI tv@anywhere master which includes an FM tuner. The Tv card
will work with either Antenna or Cable - there's a cable connector on the
card. For some reason, the FM input is an RCA plug and is seperate from the
TV tuner input. The output format is available in various sizes, though I
don't recall about MPEG4 encoding. It does have a scheduler, but I
seriously doubt it works from poweroff. I quit attempting to use the
scheduler due lockups.

Now - the thing is, I'm using this on a 3ghz ASUS p4p800 (number from
memory) - and I _strongly_ recommend against this combo. I can get the
included Intervideo PVR to lock up at will. None of the companies involved
seem to be interested in taking responsibility for the problem.

I just recently tried to use the Video in to record from the VCR and it was
more like a sequence of still pictures than a proper video capture.

Recorded audio from the FM tuner is a joke. If I really want to record
something I just connect to my stereo s tuner.

I recently sent email to ATI about the HDTV tuner, but haven't heard back -
I think I'll try again.

pt
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2004 12:03:01 AM

http://www.hauppauge.com/

Ive got a card form them about two years ago and really like it.
it got tv and an fm tuner and i see they have a HD card now.

==============
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2004 1:45:25 AM

PT, http://www.z-buy.com/product.asp?item=VG-ATHDTV Ive bought a
Shuttle mini pc form them. that about the best price i found so far
for the card. $175, Have you seen it anywhere lower than that?
September 15, 2004 10:56:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

MO> I'm looking for some advice based on the following desires:

Just FYI, ATI is coming out with a USB based tuner in a couple weeks or
so...
!