Good PCI TV Tuner and FM Stereo card?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

I've been researching different cards, and it looks like there are about
5 or 6 major mfg's, but they all seem to have their pros and cons.

I'm looking for some advice based on the following desires:

Must have:

1. PCI TV 125 ch stereo Tuner & Remote
2. FM Stereo tuner
3. time/channel scheduling features for

Nice to have:

1. MPEG4 hardware encoding.
2. MPEG1/2 hardware encoding.
3. Wake up scheduling from Poweroff or Hibernate.

I have a Dell Optiplex GX-150 (256mb RAM, 1 GHZ PIII)...so that limits
my choices too.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Mike
5 answers Last reply
More about good tuner stereo card
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    M.,

    MO> I'm looking for some advice based on the following desires:

    MO> Must have:

    MO> 1. PCI TV 125 ch stereo Tuner & Remote
    MO> 2. FM Stereo tuner
    MO> 3. time/channel scheduling features for

    MO> Nice to have:

    MO> 1. MPEG4 hardware encoding.
    MO> 2. MPEG1/2 hardware encoding.
    MO> 3. Wake up scheduling from Poweroff or Hibernate.

    MO> I have a Dell Optiplex GX-150 (256mb RAM, 1 GHZ PIII)...so that limits
    MO> my choices too.

    MO> Does anyone have any recommendations?

    I have the MSI tv@anywhere master which includes an FM tuner. The Tv card
    will work with either Antenna or Cable - there's a cable connector on the
    card. For some reason, the FM input is an RCA plug and is seperate from the
    TV tuner input. The output format is available in various sizes, though I
    don't recall about MPEG4 encoding. It does have a scheduler, but I
    seriously doubt it works from poweroff. I quit attempting to use the
    scheduler due lockups.

    Now - the thing is, I'm using this on a 3ghz ASUS p4p800 (number from
    memory) - and I _strongly_ recommend against this combo. I can get the
    included Intervideo PVR to lock up at will. None of the companies involved
    seem to be interested in taking responsibility for the problem.

    I just recently tried to use the Video in to record from the VCR and it was
    more like a sequence of still pictures than a proper video capture.

    Recorded audio from the FM tuner is a joke. If I really want to record
    something I just connect to my stereo s tuner.

    I recently sent email to ATI about the HDTV tuner, but haven't heard back -
    I think I'll try again.

    pt

    http://www.hauppauge.com/

    Ive got a card form them about two years ago and really like it.
    it got tv and an fm tuner and i see they have a HD card now.

    ==============
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    PT, http://www.z-buy.com/product.asp?item=VG-ATHDTV Ive bought a
    Shuttle mini pc form them. that about the best price i found so far
    for the card. $175, Have you seen it anywhere lower than that?
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    they gave it a 7 out of 10 for the new ATI HD tuner card
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    MO> I'm looking for some advice based on the following desires:

    Just FYI, ATI is coming out with a USB based tuner in a couple weeks or
    so...

Graphics Cards Hardware Tuner IBM Graphics