What causes interference in picture and graphics whilst pl..

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 16, 2005 6:02:38 AM

When I get so far into playing the game the graphics will sometimes start
flashing and the game also slows down whilst the flashing is still going on
and certan graphics disappear too..But also have the internet on at the
same time but that wouldnt harm it would it.Do you know what causes this to
happen , it would be so much appreciated to find this out you know?.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 9:09:35 AM

eddie <edward.doyle1@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> When I get so far into playing the game the graphics will sometimes start
> flashing and the game also slows down whilst the flashing is still going on
> and certan graphics disappear too..But also have the internet on at the
> same time but that wouldnt harm it would it.Do you know what causes this to
> happen , it would be so much appreciated to find this out you know?.

Hey eddie -

Try posting your system specs. The most obvious answer is you're
running on a system below specs for the game. But even if this is
not the case, it's hard to say anything meaningful without knowing
the hardware. Anyway, here are some general things to check.

Wild ass guesses...

Your system is paging?? Task manager will verify. Look at physical
memory available. If it's less than 20% of total physical memory,
add more memory.

Something is blocking processes like GTA from using the optic drive??
Look for stray running services, like cd-burning software. Sometimes
these things "tick" as background processes or services. If it
ticks and tries to use the drive while GTA is trying to, there
will be some glitching. BTW, Services and SysTray trash are always
performance killers. All this junk should be wiped off a system
IMHO and loaded as needed.

Some other critical resource is being blocked?? It'd almost
certainly have to be hardware or driver related, probably well
beneath the hw abstraction layer. Go check drivers for your
motherboard, video card, sound card. Install the latest.

Extremely wild ass guesses ...

Your optic drive is dying?

You can nurse some extra performance by putting the optic drive on
a separate IDE channel than the hard disk. Just an FYI. Probably
not related tho.

Your memory card is below specs? Using shared memory? (Doesn't
make sense as this would be consistently noticeable.)
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 2:19:45 PM

"Hey Zeus" <jesup@fake.com> wrote in message
news:D 8r1if$lib$1@gondor.sdsu.edu...
> eddie <edward.doyle1@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>> When I get so far into playing the game the graphics will sometimes start
>> flashing and the game also slows down whilst the flashing is still going
>> on
>> and certan graphics disappear too..But also have the internet on at the
>> same time but that wouldnt harm it would it.Do you know what causes this
>> happen , it would be so much appreciated to find this out you know?.
>
> Hey eddie -
>
> Try posting your system specs. The most obvious answer is you're
> running on a system below specs for the game. But even if this is
> not the case, it's hard to say anything meaningful without knowing
> the hardware. Anyway, here are some general things to check.

And have you got anything running in the background, like a file-sharing
program or something? Some of those can be system hogs. Soul Seek and Kazaa
can bring even the most powerful computer to its knees. The best thing to do
is have as little running in the background as possible when playing a
high-spec game like SA.
June 16, 2005 2:19:46 PM

Chris Wright wrote:

> "Hey Zeus" <jesup@fake.com> wrote in message
> news:D 8r1if$lib$1@gondor.sdsu.edu...
> > eddie <edward.doyle1@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> >> When I get so far into playing the game the graphics will sometimes start
> >> flashing and the game also slows down whilst the flashing is still going
> >> on
> >> and certan graphics disappear too..But also have the internet on at the
> >> same time but that wouldnt harm it would it.Do you know what causes this
> >> happen , it would be so much appreciated to find this out you know?.
> >
> > Hey eddie -
> >
> > Try posting your system specs. The most obvious answer is you're
> > running on a system below specs for the game. But even if this is
> > not the case, it's hard to say anything meaningful without knowing
> > the hardware. Anyway, here are some general things to check.
> >
> And have you got anything running in the background, like a file-sharing
> program or something? Some of those can be system hogs. Soul Seek and Kazaa
> can bring even the most powerful computer to its knees. The best thing to do
> is have as little running in the background as possible when playing a
> high-spec game like SA.

I often found, on my systems with low specs, that anti-virus progs
slowed everything down dramatically. To play a game I would have to
switch off any anti virus as it effectively tried to 'read' every
second of the game
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

"Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Chris Wright wrote:
>>
>> "Hey Zeus" <jesup@fake.com> wrote in message
>> news:D 8r1if$lib$1@gondor.sdsu.edu...
>> >
>> > Hey eddie -
>> >
>> > Try posting your system specs. The most obvious answer is you're
>> > running on a system below specs for the game. But even if this is
>> > not the case, it's hard to say anything meaningful without knowing
>> > the hardware. Anyway, here are some general things to check.
>> >
>> And have you got anything running in the background, like a file-sharing
>> program or something? Some of those can be system hogs. Soul Seek and
>> Kazaa
>> can bring even the most powerful computer to its knees. The best thing to
>> do
>> is have as little running in the background as possible when playing a
>> high-spec game like SA.
>
> I often found, on my systems with low specs, that anti-virus progs
> slowed everything down dramatically. To play a game I would have to
> switch off any anti virus as it effectively tried to 'read' every
> second of the game
> --

I'll second that. Sometimes the anti-virus program has a few settings for
background scanning that can be turned down, or off. If you have your
anti-virus software in full-on protection mode it can cripple even a good
system, and a lower spec one doesn't stand a chance.

If disabling anti-virus stuff bothers people, you can always just switch off
your internet connection while you play a game. Just press the power button
on the cable modem or ADSL router. Or if you have a firewall like ZoneAlarm,
just disable all internet traffic. Everything will be okay when you start it
up again afterwards, and you can run SA without your anti-virus software on
safe in the knowledge that bad things aren't going to happen.
!