HELP! bad video card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2004 4:12:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems (More info?)

I have a Compaq Presario that is a couple years old and is running Windows
ME.

Last couple days the screen will freeze up occassionally, and you can no
longer move the mouse cursor or anything. No programs in particular are
causing this ... it happens in different programs and even when the computer
is idle.

Control+alt+delete doesn't do anything when the screen freezes up. The only
thing I can do when this happens is reboot.

Sometimes when I reboot, the computer sounds like it is starting up and
sounds like it is running as usual, but the monitor will be totally blank,
as if it's not hooked up to anything. (I've double checked the monitor
connection to the PC, and that is fine.) So I reboot again. Sometimes
rebooting fixes it, and sometimes I can reboot over and over and the screen
will still stay blank.

Last night was one of the times I rebooted over and over and could get
nothing to come on the screen. I opened up the PC, and found that it was
really dusty, and I cleaned out the vents, cleaned out the dust in the
inside of the PC, and made sure the two fans were working. I figured it
overheated. I let it sit an hour or so, and then the PC started up fine, and
the monitor worked fine.

I thought the problem was overheating, but now the PC is still freezing up.
Does this sound like a bad video card? Maybe it was damaged by excessive
heat?

Your advice would be appreciated!!

--
NOTE: Please delete the word "REMOVE" from my e-mail address when replying.
This is a spam guard.

More about : bad video card

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2004 8:26:03 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems (More info?)

To add some more details to my original post, I tried running a DOS program,
and it locked up again, so it happens in Windows and DOS. I also connected
to a Web site with streaming audio, so when the screen eventually froze, I
could hear if the PC was still working, even though the screen would be
froze up. It eventually locked up and the sound ended, so it seems it
freezes up the whole computer, not just the video output.

I also pulled out the video card and reinstalled it in the slot, in case
there were any connection problems. That didn't seem to make a difference.

If anyone has ideas on how to diagnose this problem, I'd love to hear them.
Thanks in advance for your help!
September 14, 2004 10:43:17 PM

Dave K. wrote:

> I have a Compaq Presario that is a couple years old and is running Windows
> ME.
>
> Last couple days the screen will freeze up occassionally, and you can no
> longer move the mouse cursor or anything. No programs in particular are
> causing this ... it happens in different programs and even when the computer
> is idle.
>
> Control+alt+delete doesn't do anything when the screen freezes up. The only
> thing I can do when this happens is reboot.
>
> Sometimes when I reboot, the computer sounds like it is starting up and
> sounds like it is running as usual, but the monitor will be totally blank,
> as if it's not hooked up to anything. (I've double checked the monitor
> connection to the PC, and that is fine.) So I reboot again. Sometimes
> rebooting fixes it, and sometimes I can reboot over and over and the screen
> will still stay blank.
>
> Last night was one of the times I rebooted over and over and could get
> nothing to come on the screen. I opened up the PC, and found that it was
> really dusty, and I cleaned out the vents, cleaned out the dust in the
> inside of the PC, and made sure the two fans were working. I figured it
> overheated. I let it sit an hour or so, and then the PC started up fine, and
> the monitor worked fine.
>
> I thought the problem was overheating, but now the PC is still freezing up.
> Does this sound like a bad video card? Maybe it was damaged by excessive
> heat?

No, it sounds more like bad memory, a weak power supply, or some damaged
software (e.g. the operating system or something that gets loaded at
boot).

> Your advice would be appreciated!!

September 15, 2004 1:57:09 AM

Dave K. wrote:

> To add some more details to my original post, I tried running a DOS program,
> and it locked up again, so it happens in Windows and DOS. I also connected
> to a Web site with streaming audio, so when the screen eventually froze, I
> could hear if the PC was still working, even though the screen would be
> froze up. It eventually locked up and the sound ended, so it seems it
> freezes up the whole computer, not just the video output.
>
> I also pulled out the video card and reinstalled it in the slot, in case
> there were any connection problems. That didn't seem to make a difference.
>
> If anyone has ideas on how to diagnose this problem, I'd love to hear them.
> Thanks in advance for your help!

I'd start with www.memtest.org

a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2004 11:50:49 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems (More info?)

Do you have any swelled or expanded electrolytic capacitors
on your motherboard ?
Check the tops of the capacitors for pushing out. The should be flat.
This is a sure sign that the capacitors are failing and will
cause booting and running problems. They can be replaced.
John
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 15, 2004 2:40:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems (More info?)

Not sure what capacitors look like. Are they those little things that are
barrel shaped that are sticking out of the motherboard? If so, they all look
the same shape and do not look swelled.

--
"John Gill" <jdgill@juno.com> wrote in message
> Do you have any swelled or expanded electrolytic capacitors
> on your motherboard ?
> Check the tops of the capacitors for pushing out. The should be flat.
> This is a sure sign that the capacitors are failing and will
> cause booting and running problems. They can be replaced.
> John
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 16, 2004 5:27:27 PM

"Dave K." <davek@REMOVEcompanynewsletters.com> wrote:

>I have a Compaq Presario that is a couple years old and is running Windows
>ME.

That's all I need to hear. Throw that piece of garbage in the trash,
and start fresh. Get a generic white box, and install Win2k or
Mandrake, or both, on it. You'll be much happier.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 18, 2004 4:19:56 PM

"Dave K." <davek@REMOVEcompanynewsletters.com> a écrit dans le message
de news:10km5rk82fp7ae6@corp.supernews.com...

> I'm not sure how to check the voltage manually, so how can I do it
> through software in a setup program? Sorry for all the questions, but
> I'm not much of a techie :-) .

Compaq computers aren't easy when it comes to access the setup, so you
could try Speedfan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php), if the hardware
supports voltage monitoring.

To check manually, you must open the case (if you have the right
screwdriver), and use a voltmeter (provided you know the right voltage
and the color code.)

--
~~~~ clmasse on free dot F-country
Liberty, Equality, Profitability