Connect VHS player to computer?

Archived from groups: alt.video.vcr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Have installed a DVD rom drive on computer and really like being able
to view movies on Computer monitor from time to time.

This is a working computer (for CAD and GIS work) with dual 21" crt
monitors running ATI 9200 agp and ATI 9100 pci video cards.

Anyway , have a spare VHS tape deck and would like to be able to watch
some of my old VHS movie tapes on computer monitor.

Is there a simple cost-effective pci card that would allow me to
connect the audio and video outputs from the VHS deck so I could watch
the movies on the monitor and hear the audio over the headphones like
I do with the DVD's? I do not need to capture and record anything.

Any solution should be fairly simple and not screw up the video for
it's primary use as a CAD workstation.

Thanks,
Beowulf

"Serial # 19781010" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> Have installed a DVD rom drive on computer and really like being able
> to view movies on Computer monitor from time to time.
>
> This is a working computer (for CAD and GIS work) with dual 21" crt
> monitors running ATI 9200 agp and ATI 9100 pci video cards.
>
> Anyway , have a spare VHS tape deck and would like to be able to watch
> some of my old VHS movie tapes on computer monitor.
>
> Is there a simple cost-effective pci card that would allow me to
> connect the audio and video outputs from the VHS deck so I could watch
> the movies on the monitor and hear the audio over the headphones like
> I do with the DVD's? I do not need to capture and record anything.
>
> Any solution should be fairly simple and not screw up the video for
> it's primary use as a CAD workstation.

There are adapter boxes that convert composite video to
RGBVH on a 15-pin connector that allows computer monitors
to view conventional video. Some also have tuners to allow
viewing off-the-air channels.

Serial # 19781010 wrote:

> Have installed a DVD rom drive on computer and really like being able
> to view movies on Computer monitor from time to time.
>
> This is a working computer (for CAD and GIS work) with dual 21" crt
> monitors running ATI 9200 agp and ATI 9100 pci video cards.
>
> Anyway , have a spare VHS tape deck and would like to be able to watch
> some of my old VHS movie tapes on computer monitor.
>
> Is there a simple cost-effective pci card that would allow me to
> connect the audio and video outputs from the VHS deck so I could watch
> the movies on the monitor and hear the audio over the headphones like
> I do with the DVD's? I do not need to capture and record anything.
>
> Any solution should be fairly simple and not screw up the video for
> it's primary use as a CAD workstation.

There are any number of them built on Conexant, Phillips, or Brooktree chips
that will do this. The Compro Videomate boards are inexpensive and well
regarded.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Archived from groups: alt.video.vcr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

If you only want to play the tape and see it on the computer monitor, then
the easiest would be to get a TV tuner card and connect the channel 3-4
output from the VCR to the antenna input on the tuner card. Then you can
see how soft the VHS picture is.

Mike T

"Serial # 19781010" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> Have installed a DVD rom drive on computer and really like being able
> to view movies on Computer monitor from time to time.
>
> This is a working computer (for CAD and GIS work) with dual 21" crt
> monitors running ATI 9200 agp and ATI 9100 pci video cards.
>
> Anyway , have a spare VHS tape deck and would like to be able to watch
> some of my old VHS movie tapes on computer monitor.
>
> Is there a simple cost-effective pci card that would allow me to
> connect the audio and video outputs from the VHS deck so I could watch
> the movies on the monitor and hear the audio over the headphones like
> I do with the DVD's? I do not need to capture and record anything.
>
> Any solution should be fairly simple and not screw up the video for
> it's primary use as a CAD workstation.
>
> Thanks,
> Beowulf

Archived from groups: alt.video.vcr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:36:43 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>There are any number of them built on Conexant, Phillips, or Brooktree chips
>that will do this. The Compro Videomate boards are inexpensive and well
>regarded.

For 24 bucks delivered to my door I can get the following which should
do the job?..........

PCI TV Tuner Video Capture with remote control

Use remote control to Watch TV Programs on your PC
Watch real TV programs with WebTV
Video Conferencing with Microsoft Netmeeting
Preview and Scan 25 TV Channels
Capture still or motion video images from TV, VCR, V8 or camcorder
Add a video camera and microphone to see and talk through the Internet
or Intranet
Play and sent AVI files by e-mail
Supports Capture resolutions up to 768x576(Full PAL)

Detailed Specification
Chipset: supporting NTSC
Conexant 878A chipset
Full TV frequency range for CATV/ VHF/ UHF
Live TV with 125 channels
Supports NTSC, video formats
Supports Web TV
Capture still and motion video images from TV, VCR, V8 or Camcorder
Video capture rate up to 30 frame/ sec
Video conferencing with Microsoft Netmeeting by adding Video Camera
Supports all major VGA cards with PCI/ AGP bus
Supports planner YUV data format
Supports S-Video or Composite Video Camera
VBI data capture for closed caption data decoding
Software teletext decoding
Plug and Play, easy installation and application
Supports Windows 95/ 98/me/2000/xp

Serial # 19781010 wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:36:43 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>

>>There are any number of them built on Conexant, Phillips, or Brooktree
>>chips
>>that will do this. The Compro Videomate boards are inexpensive and well
>>regarded.
>
> For 24 bucks delivered to my door I can get the following which should
> do the job?..........

If the software that comes with it is any good or if you're willing to use
third-party then yes, it should let you display TV on your monitor. But
the BT878 is an old chipset--the newer Phillips SAA713x or Conexant 2388x
chips will give you a considerably better picture.

> PCI TV Tuner Video Capture with remote control
>
> Use remote control to Watch TV Programs on your PC
> Watch real TV programs with WebTV
> Video Conferencing with Microsoft Netmeeting
> Preview and Scan 25 TV Channels
> Capture still or motion video images from TV, VCR, V8 or camcorder
> Add a video camera and microphone to see and talk through the Internet
> or Intranet
> Play and sent AVI files by e-mail
> Supports Capture resolutions up to 768x576(Full PAL)
>
> Detailed Specification
> Chipset: supporting NTSC
> Conexant 878A chipset
> Full TV frequency range for CATV/ VHF/ UHF
> Live TV with 125 channels
> Supports NTSC, video formats
> Supports Web TV
> Capture still and motion video images from TV, VCR, V8 or Camcorder
> Video capture rate up to 30 frame/ sec
> Video conferencing with Microsoft Netmeeting by adding Video Camera
> Supports all major VGA cards with PCI/ AGP bus
> Supports planner YUV data format
> Supports S-Video or Composite Video Camera
> VBI data capture for closed caption data decoding
> Software teletext decoding
> Plug and Play, easy installation and application
> Supports Windows 95/ 98/me/2000/xp

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Archived from groups: alt.video.vcr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

> Is there a simple cost-effective pci card that would allow me to
> connect the audio and video outputs from the VHS deck so I could watch
> the movies on the monitor and hear the audio over the headphones like
> I do with the DVD's? I do not need to capture and record anything.

Any of the WinTV or ATI all-in-wonder/tv-wonder cards will do this
for <$100 quite easily.

You can find the lower end models cheap online www.shopper.com or the
even older, but usable models on www.ebay.com.

eg. TV Wonder for ~$70:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=15-116-305&ATT=Video+Device+Add+On&CMP=OTC-C173T

eg. WinTV Go for ~$50:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=15-116-605&ATT=Video+Device+Add+On&CMP=OTC-C173T

eg. WinTV on ebay.com for $20:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3762&item=5124796692&rd=1

I personally would pick the TV wonder with remote edition since you
can then control the entire 'TV' like a regular TV set with the remote
control. But, if you're only at your desk all day and don't need to go
far, then just pick a cheap card - they'll all work fine.

Archived from groups: alt.video.vcr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Yes-its called the TV set.

--
Dimitris Tzortzakakis,Iraklion Crete,Greece
major in electrical engineering
? "Serial # 19781010" <none@none.net> ?????? ??? ??????
> Have installed a DVD rom drive on computer and really like being able
> to view movies on Computer monitor from time to time.
>
> This is a working computer (for CAD and GIS work) with dual 21" crt
> monitors running ATI 9200 agp and ATI 9100 pci video cards.
>
> Anyway , have a spare VHS tape deck and would like to be able to watch
> some of my old VHS movie tapes on computer monitor.
>
> Is there a simple cost-effective pci card that would allow me to
> connect the audio and video outputs from the VHS deck so I could watch
> the movies on the monitor and hear the audio over the headphones like
> I do with the DVD's? I do not need to capture and record anything.
>
> Any solution should be fairly simple and not screw up the video for
> it's primary use as a CAD workstation.
>
> Thanks,
> Beowulf

Archived from groups: alt.video.vcr,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:00:22 +0300, "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios"
<dimtzortihatespam@nospamotenet.gr> wrote:

>Yes-its called the TV set.

Hmm...

I don't have a TV set in the chain between my VCR and my computer...

Kevin Miller

"Either way, it is bad for Zathras."

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message news:<civ3kp$jns$1@news.service.uci.edu>...
> > Is there a simple cost-effective pci card that would allow me to
> > connect the audio and video outputs from the VHS deck so I could watch
> > the movies on the monitor and hear the audio over the headphones like
> > I do with the DVD's? I do not need to capture and record anything.
>
> Any of the WinTV or ATI all-in-wonder/tv-wonder cards will do this
> for <$100 quite easily.

I have had the ATI All-in-Wonder Pro and ATI All-in-Wonder 9600/9700
in my son's current and last system. I love them. His room would have
been cluttered if he had both a computer and a TV. Through a switch
box he can watch cable, VCR, N64, GameCube, PS2 or his XBox through
his 19" monitor. I could have used a cheap video to VGA converter, but
then he could not watch TV and browse the web at the same time for
example. I always encourage multi-tasking of bad habbits.