New graphic cards fror barebone : how to avoid power short..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2004 4:05:51 PM

Hi,
Here my first post.
I've got a barebone pc (Biostar IDEQ 200N) and as I want to play new
generation games (doom3 HL2,...), the build-in GPU a GeForce 4 MX (based
on NFORCE2) is a bit short : Doom 3 is blurry and choppy on 800x600...

So I need a new graphic card, but I have to be careful with my pick as
the barebone have a weak power supply (200W).

So I there on the market a good GPU with not too much power needs ?

Is there models specially design for that kind of use : small, power
friendly, and not generating as heat as a oven ?

Thanks for your help.

Olivier
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2004 3:17:47 AM

Your kind of out of luck as far as finding a decent gaming video card when
you only have a 200 watt power supply unit. Sorry, but that's the truth.

--
DaveW

"Olivier Briat" <olivier@briat.org> wrote in message
> Hi,
> Here my first post.
> I've got a barebone pc (Biostar IDEQ 200N) and as I want to play new
> generation games (doom3 HL2,...), the build-in GPU a GeForce 4 MX (based
> on NFORCE2) is a bit short : Doom 3 is blurry and choppy on 800x600...
>
> So I need a new graphic card, but I have to be careful with my pick as the
> barebone have a weak power supply (200W).
>
> So I there on the market a good GPU with not too much power needs ?
>
> Is there models specially design for that kind of use : small, power
> friendly, and not generating as heat as a oven ?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Olivier
September 29, 2004 10:18:19 AM

I had the same problem. I have an HP Pavilion 780n with a 200W PSU. I
took a chance on buying a PNY Verto 5900SE at Circuit City ($180-$20
rebate). It's been running fine for 4 days now, and runs Doom 3 and
Far Cry fine. Circuit City has a good return policy, so if it doesn't
work, bring it back.

!