DVI from analog signal.

I have a self-built computer running XP Pro with A nvidia FX5200 card.
I have a Gateway FPD1500 monitor with a DVI-D plug. I also have a
cables-to-go DVI-A to VGA adapter. Will this combo work on my
computer with the specified video card. Also how would I go about
setting-up and configuring this arrangement?

"THEHED" <hed34@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a self-built computer running XP Pro with A nvidia FX5200 card.
> I have a Gateway FPD1500 monitor with a DVI-D plug. I also have a
> cables-to-go DVI-A to VGA adapter. Will this combo work on my
> computer with the specified video card. Also how would I go about
> setting-up and configuring this arrangement?

Ummm...no, there is a big difference between DVI-D and DVI analog.
To use DVI-D at all requires the signals to be (remain) digitized at the
sending
end (the video card) AND to be encoded to TMDS - you should look for a
card that has the ability to send DVI-D in order to use the Gateway monitor.
(Actually you should look for a DVI-I capable card, which will provide the
most flexibility, but may also set you back a bit more cash. DVI-I includes
both the analog VGA and the TMDS digital streams.)

HTH,

NGA