Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Smoke Mission

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 7:03:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

The mission after the train chase where you get into shoot-outs with
the Russians, I get pretty far into the chase in the culvert system
when we blow up and fail the mission. It's so hot&heavy I can't look
away from the targets to see why. Is it just the bike's blue health
bar going to zero, or does Smoke ram something if I don't do something
else in time? I'm looking backwards, so I don't know what he's doing
steering.

Is there a lot to it after the culvert or am I near solving this one?

And I got Uncle Sam at last. Yay me.

Steve
--
www.thepaxamsolution.com

More about : smoke mission

June 17, 2005 1:21:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

Steve Bartman wrote:
> The mission after the train chase where you get into shoot-outs with
> the Russians, I get pretty far into the chase in the culvert system
> when we blow up and fail the mission. It's so hot&heavy I can't look
> away from the targets to see why. Is it just the bike's blue health
> bar going to zero, or does Smoke ram something if I don't do something
> else in time? I'm looking backwards, so I don't know what he's doing
> steering.
>
> Is there a lot to it after the culvert or am I near solving this one?
>
> And I got Uncle Sam at last. Yay me.

I think the blue bar is the bikes health. Good trick is to concentrate on
shooting out the motorbike tyres rather than the people. If you can't get
the tyres, go for the driver, not the shooter.
Don't worry about Smoke's steering, you have no control, just let him do his
work and you concentrate on defending the bike. Also, ignore the fuel
tanker, you cannot damage it I don't think, so you are wasting your time
with that. So deal with the cars and bikes only.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:21:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 21:21:57 +0100, "Beck"
<my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote:


>I think the blue bar is the bikes health.

It is.

Good trick is to concentrate on
>shooting out the motorbike tyres rather than the people. If you can't get
>the tyres, go for the driver, not the shooter.

I've been going for the shooter. Good tip.

>Don't worry about Smoke's steering, you have no control, just let him do his
>work and you concentrate on defending the bike.

So it must be the bike health bar that's killing us. We were both
about 80% health when we got on.

Also, ignore the fuel
>tanker, you cannot damage it I don't think, so you are wasting your time
>with that. So deal with the cars and bikes only.

I've been trying to kill the tanker driver. I get the windows shot
out, but he never dies. As a result I've been getting swarmed by four
bikes at once in the culvert. I thought I could kill 2-3 bikes in a
tanker explosion. I'll leave it alone and go for the bikes. There's
also a red car in the culvert sequence with a shooter hanging out over
the roof. I got him on the last run through, but there were still
three bikes alive and shooting when we blew up.

Thanks for the tips.

Steve

--
www.thepaxamsolution.com
Related resources
June 17, 2005 2:09:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

Steve Bartman wrote:
> I've been trying to kill the tanker driver. I get the windows shot
> out, but he never dies. As a result I've been getting swarmed by four
> bikes at once in the culvert. I thought I could kill 2-3 bikes in a
> tanker explosion. I'll leave it alone and go for the bikes. There's
> also a red car in the culvert sequence with a shooter hanging out over
> the roof. I got him on the last run through, but there were still
> three bikes alive and shooting when we blew up.
>
> Thanks for the tips.

I tried that mission on the ps2 many many times. I am pretty certain that
the tanker blows up anyhow at a certain point and takes a few cars out. Do
also go for that red car, try going for the tyres with the car as obviously
you have the windscreen in the way and it will make for getting the driver a
bit more tricky.
You can do it just going for the bikes and the cars, its just important to
ignore the shooters, they can be quite distracting when they are firing
rapidly at you.

*SPOILERS*
As for the culvert system, I am not sure what you mean by that, but I do
recall parts of the firefight. There is a bit where you are finally facing
forward and you have to shoot the wooden gate to get it open. You go down
the walkway, take advantage of shooting the red barrels as you leave them,
they will take a few of the guys out. Then shortly after there is a
cutscene where your bike is doing a huge jump after an explosion and I think
thats where it ends.
Hope I haven't spoiled it too much, just trying to give you an idea on how
far you are near the end.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:09:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 22:09:34 +0100, "Beck"
<my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote:

>I tried that mission on the ps2 many many times. I am pretty certain that
>the tanker blows up anyhow at a certain point and takes a few cars out.

Don't think I've gotten that far. Haver gotten past the slo-mo piece
where the ramp truck dives down from the overpass above, but not much
farther.

Do
>also go for that red car, try going for the tyres with the car as obviously
>you have the windscreen in the way and it will make for getting the driver a
>bit more tricky.

OK.

>You can do it just going for the bikes and the cars, its just important to
>ignore the shooters, they can be quite distracting when they are firing
>rapidly at you.

Yeah, they are that. <g>

>*SPOILERS*
>As for the culvert system, I am not sure what you mean by that,

The concrete drainage system throughout the city. I think they call it
something different in the real LA, but I call them (rain) culverts.
You can see the real thing in many movies, especially "Grease" where
there's a car race in them I think.


but I do
>recall parts of the firefight. There is a bit where you are finally facing
>forward and you have to shoot the wooden gate to get it open.

Haven't gotten that far.

You go down
>the walkway, take advantage of shooting the red barrels as you leave them,
>they will take a few of the guys out.

I wouldn't have thought of that.

Then shortly after there is a
>cutscene where your bike is doing a huge jump after an explosion and I think
>thats where it ends.
>Hope I haven't spoiled it too much, just trying to give you an idea on how
>far you are near the end.
>
No, I don't mind. Thanks.

Steve
--
www.thepaxamsolution.com
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 2:09:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

>The concrete drainage system throughout the city. I think they call it
>something different in the real LA, but I call them (rain) culverts.
>You can see the real thing in many movies, especially "Grease" where
>there's a car race in them I think.

One of them is called the LA River. Ya, a concrete river. It used to
be normal but it's path kept changing during times of heavy rain. So
they made it concrete.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 6:01:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:40:12 -0700, Jack Crack
<JackCrack@JackCrack.not> wrote:

>
>>The concrete drainage system throughout the city. I think they call it
>>something different in the real LA, but I call them (rain) culverts.
>>You can see the real thing in many movies, especially "Grease" where
>>there's a car race in them I think.
>
>One of them is called the LA River. Ya, a concrete river.

Like the Chicago River, but different. <g>

Steve

--
www.thepaxamsolution.com
June 18, 2005 12:43:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

Steve Bartman wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 17:40:12 -0700, Jack Crack
> <JackCrack@JackCrack.not> wrote:
>
>>
>>> The concrete drainage system throughout the city. I think they call
>>> it something different in the real LA, but I call them (rain)
>>> culverts. You can see the real thing in many movies, especially
>>> "Grease" where there's a car race in them I think.
>>
>> One of them is called the LA River. Ya, a concrete river.
>
> Like the Chicago River, but different. <g>

Have you managed to do that mission yet?
Just playing through the game again on xbox this time and got to that point
today. I could not even take my own advice to do that mission. Eventually
did it on about the 5th time.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 12:43:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:43:01 +0100, "Beck"
<my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote:

>Have you managed to do that mission yet?

Had some business meetings last two days, but will try it again this
weekend. I think I know how to win now.

Steve

--
www.thepaxamsolution.com
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 6:52:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

I wonder if being at hitman level with the gun helps, I spent a lot of
time early on getting to hitman level and did this level 1st go and I
can't help but think that it helps.
June 18, 2005 1:10:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

Steve Bartman wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:43:01 +0100, "Beck"
> <my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Have you managed to do that mission yet?
>
> Had some business meetings last two days, but will try it again this
> weekend. I think I know how to win now.
>
> Steve

I found a good trick with dealling with the cars is to shoot the bonnets
constantly to set them on fire. This will cause one to explode taking out a
couple at a time.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 2:15:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

mustrum_ridcully wrote:
>
> I wonder if being at hitman level with the gun helps, I spent a lot of
> time early on getting to hitman level and did this level 1st go and I
> can't help but think that it helps.

Okay... well this one's a funny one but obviously being a higher
level with guns helps. once someone told me to concentrate on the
actual rider of the bikes then this all went much smoother. those
three parked cars near the start can be a bit of a pain so I shoot the
middle one and when it blows it takes the other two. the cars in the
chase sequence I handle the same as the cops later on. aim for the
passenger window side or the bonnet/hood. Ignore the truck. it is
there just to put you off and scare the hell out of you. Near the end
you can wipe out the bikes a lot easier by watching for the red
barrels behind you. Hit one of them just as the bikes follow you round
a little corner and boom, no more bikes!

I hated this level when I first started playing but it's actually
quite fun when you get the hang of it.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 3:32:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 09:10:54 +0100, "Beck"
<my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote:

>Steve Bartman wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:43:01 +0100, "Beck"
>> <my_bulkmail@btopenworld.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Have you managed to do that mission yet?
>>
>> Had some business meetings last two days, but will try it again this
>> weekend. I think I know how to win now.
>>
>> Steve
>
>I found a good trick with dealling with the cars is to shoot the bonnets
>constantly to set them on fire. This will cause one to explode taking out a
>couple at a time.
>

I did manage to get through this one last night. Fun.

And yes, you can set the cars on fire that way. I did it from way up
high on the rim of the drainage ditch when there was no way to hit the
gunner. It exploded far below.

Also saw the red barrels at the end, but couldn't hit any. Somehow the
4-5 bikes chasing me didn't get me. Had enough health to make it to
the final slo-mo jump.

Steve
--
www.thepaxamsolution.com
June 18, 2005 3:40:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

mustrum_ridcully wrote:
> I wonder if being at hitman level with the gun helps, I spent a lot of
> time early on getting to hitman level and did this level 1st go and I
> can't help but think that it helps.

Funny you should say that. I couldn't do the mission after 4 tries so I
went away and did a few more missions including the gaining territories
one - during that mission, my uzi skill was upgraded, not sure to what
though. I then went back to do the Just Business mission and did it that
first time. So you may have a valid point there. I certainly was able to
get the motorbikes down on the first two hits instead of 5-6 hits.
June 19, 2005 1:40:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

Steve Bartman wrote:
> I did manage to get through this one last night. Fun.
>
> And yes, you can set the cars on fire that way. I did it from way up
> high on the rim of the drainage ditch when there was no way to hit the
> gunner. It exploded far below.
>
> Also saw the red barrels at the end, but couldn't hit any. Somehow the
> 4-5 bikes chasing me didn't get me. Had enough health to make it to
> the final slo-mo jump.
>

Thank fork for that, I was beginning to worry for you :-)
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 8:59:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

I did it first time too, then reloaded and did it again. It's like
being in a move chase scene.

Phil Hibbs.
June 23, 2005 3:53:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

Paul Heslop proclaimed...

> Okay... well this one's a funny one but obviously being a higher
> level with guns helps. once someone told me to concentrate on the
> actual rider of the bikes then this all went much smoother. those
> three parked cars near the start can be a bit of a pain so I shoot the
> middle one and when it blows it takes the other two. the cars in the
> chase sequence I handle the same as the cops later on. aim for the
> passenger window side or the bonnet/hood. Ignore the truck. it is
> there just to put you off and scare the hell out of you. Near the end
> you can wipe out the bikes a lot easier by watching for the red
> barrels behind you. Hit one of them just as the bikes follow you round
> a little corner and boom, no more bikes!
>
> I hated this level when I first started playing but it's actually
> quite fun when you get the hang of it.

Funny, I did this first time. I did go for the bikes. Then I went for
the shooters then I went for the engine of the cards.

--
"Now that there is a damn fine coat you're wearing."
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 5:15:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

Strider wrote:
>
> Paul Heslop proclaimed...
>
> > Okay... well this one's a funny one but obviously being a higher
> > level with guns helps. once someone told me to concentrate on the
> > actual rider of the bikes then this all went much smoother. those
> > three parked cars near the start can be a bit of a pain so I shoot the
> > middle one and when it blows it takes the other two. the cars in the
> > chase sequence I handle the same as the cops later on. aim for the
> > passenger window side or the bonnet/hood. Ignore the truck. it is
> > there just to put you off and scare the hell out of you. Near the end
> > you can wipe out the bikes a lot easier by watching for the red
> > barrels behind you. Hit one of them just as the bikes follow you round
> > a little corner and boom, no more bikes!
> >
> > I hated this level when I first started playing but it's actually
> > quite fun when you get the hang of it.
>
> Funny, I did this first time. I did go for the bikes. Then I went for
> the shooters then I went for the engine of the cards.
>
> --
> "Now that there is a damn fine coat you're wearing."

some folks just find it easy, and I don't know about the pc version
targeting with a mouse has to be easier
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 5:15:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

snarks@gmail.com wrote:
>
> I did it first time too, then reloaded and did it again. It's like
> being in a move chase scene.
>
> Phil Hibbs.

I wouldn't say I enjoy it THAT much :o )
--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
-------------------------------------------------------
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
!