Aspect ratio with Samsung 243T

Alan

I have a 243T running under XP. This is a new system. Icons and images
seem to be "stretched" horizontally. (i.e. circles look like eggs.) I
haven't checked all applications but it is true for the Windows desktop and
IE. I am sure this has to do with the unusual aspect ratio of this monitor.
Is there a Windows setting which can compensate for this?

Thanks!

> I have a 243T running under XP. This is a new system. Icons and images
> seem to be "stretched" horizontally. (i.e. circles look like eggs.) I
> haven't checked all applications but it is true for the Windows desktop
and
> IE. I am sure this has to do with the unusual aspect ratio of this
monitor.
> Is there a Windows setting which can compensate for this?

What resolution you are using for your desktop?

Alan

When I posted the message I was using something less than the maximum (which
is 1920x1200). Since then, I raised it to 1920x1200 and the stretching is
gone. This is fine. I am thinking that either the graphics card or the
monitor itself was filling what it thought was some dead space. Neither of
these seems to have any relevant settings that I can find. I am still
interested in understanding this but it is not urgent. Thanks for your
help.

"assaarpa" <redterminator@fap.net> wrote in message
> > I have a 243T running under XP. This is a new system. Icons and images
> > seem to be "stretched" horizontally. (i.e. circles look like eggs.) I
> > haven't checked all applications but it is true for the Windows desktop
> and
> > IE. I am sure this has to do with the unusual aspect ratio of this
> monitor.
> > Is there a Windows setting which can compensate for this?
>
> What resolution you are using for your desktop?

Are you sure that you've set the computer's video card resolution to match
the 'native' resolution of the monitor?

--
DaveW

"Alan" <alnogen@noname.com> wrote in message
>I have a 243T running under XP. This is a new system. Icons and images
> seem to be "stretched" horizontally. (i.e. circles look like eggs.) I
> haven't checked all applications but it is true for the Windows desktop
> and
> IE. I am sure this has to do with the unusual aspect ratio of this
> monitor.
> Is there a Windows setting which can compensate for this?
>
> Thanks!

> gone. This is fine. I am thinking that either the graphics card or the
> monitor itself was filling what it thought was some dead space. Neither
of

It did indeed, the 1600x1200 was stretched to 1920x1200 which means the
image was stretched 1.2 times wider (1920/1600).

> these seems to have any relevant settings that I can find. I am still
> interested in understanding this but it is not urgent.

Some graphics card drivers such as latest detonators have option to let the
display do the scaling, or let the graphics card do the scaling or not to
scale at all (center) or what not, check your settings. But the 1920x1200
would be the best choise for your display as that is the native resolution.
:)

Alan

I don't see a way to adjust the video card resolution.

> Are you sure that you've set the computer's video card resolution to match
> the 'native' resolution of the monitor?
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Alan" <alnogen@noname.com> wrote in message
> >I have a 243T running under XP. This is a new system. Icons and images
> > seem to be "stretched" horizontally. (i.e. circles look like eggs.) I
> > haven't checked all applications but it is true for the Windows desktop
> > and
> > IE. I am sure this has to do with the unusual aspect ratio of this
> > monitor.
> > Is there a Windows setting which can compensate for this?
> >
> > Thanks!

What NVIDIA graphics card are you running? Do the new drivers support DVI
out @ 1920x1200 (@52Hz) now? Because in the past the drivers did not
support that high of resolution.

Did you have to edit your monitor's .inf file to allow it to support
1920x1200 DVI? Because I had to get my Samsung 240t resolution to run at
1920x1200. Before editing the Samsung 240t was limited to digital
1280x1024, I believe.