  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
Share
August 1, 2005 5:56:01 PM

Can the 8000 be used with a laptop for broadband internet via National
Access? Do you need to use a modem card plus the phone? Unclear about
all this and get very conflicting info from vzw.

More about : national access

August 1, 2005 5:56:02 PM

> Can the 8000 be used with a laptop for broadband internet via National
> Access?

Yes. I'm doing it. ~144kbps

> Do you need to use a modem card plus the phone? Unclear about all this and
> get very conflicting info from vzw.

You just need a USB data cable available on eBay from many suppliers for
anywhere between $5 and $30. The phone itself is your modem, no "card"
required.

1) Buy cable
2) Go into VX8000 service menu (Menu | 0 | 000000) and ENABLE "DUN" (Dial up
networking).

To use the LG 7000/8000 for VZW network 3G 1x DATA connection:
Set your W2K/XP DUN dialer for the following settings:

Init String: AT$QCMDR=3
Dial: #777
userID: <10digitCellNumber>@vzw3g.com (i.e. 3032292288@vzw3g.com)
Password: vzw

-Frank
August 1, 2005 10:31:12 PM

Frankster wrote:
>>Can the 8000 be used with a laptop for broadband internet via National
>>Access?
>

> Yes. I'm doing it. ~144kbps
>

>>Do you need to use a modem card plus the phone? Unclear about all this and
>>get very conflicting info from vzw.
>

> You just need a USB data cable available on eBay from many suppliers for
> anywhere between $5 and $30. The phone itself is your modem, no "card"
> required.
>
> 1) Buy cable
> 2) Go into VX8000 service menu (Menu | 0 | 000000) and ENABLE "DUN" (Dial up
> networking).
>
> To use the LG 7000/8000 for VZW network 3G 1x DATA connection:
> Set your W2K/XP DUN dialer for the following settings:
>
> Init String: AT$QCMDR=3
> Dial: #777
> userID: <10digitCellNumber>@vzw3g.com (i.e. 3032292288@vzw3g.com)
> Password: vzw
>
> -Frank

Thanks Frank tres cool
August 2, 2005 5:33:02 AM

Must you have a data plan and if so, how much is it?

Thanks

Traveling
"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
>> Can the 8000 be used with a laptop for broadband internet via
>> National Access?
>
> Yes. I'm doing it. ~144kbps
>
>> Do you need to use a modem card plus the phone? Unclear about all
>> this and get very conflicting info from vzw.
>
> You just need a USB data cable available on eBay from many suppliers
> for anywhere between $5 and $30. The phone itself is your modem, no
> "card" required.
>
> 1) Buy cable
> 2) Go into VX8000 service menu (Menu | 0 | 000000) and ENABLE "DUN"
> (Dial up networking).
>
> To use the LG 7000/8000 for VZW network 3G 1x DATA connection:
> Set your W2K/XP DUN dialer for the following settings:
>
> Init String: AT$QCMDR=3
> Dial: #777
> userID: <10digitCellNumber>@vzw3g.com (i.e. 3032292288@vzw3g.com)
> Password: vzw
>
> -Frank

August 2, 2005 5:33:03 AM

> Must you have a data plan and if so, how much is it?

No data plan necessary. National Access only. Uses plan minutes and if you
have free off-prime that works too.

-Frank
August 3, 2005 7:55:28 AM

Gary wrote:
> Can the 8000 be used with a laptop for broadband internet via National
> Access?

National Access and Broadband access are two different things.

National Access you can get from any phone with a datacable and is
60-80 kbps and uses your plan minutes or use a PCMCIA card and get
unlimited for $59.99, Broadbad access it was my understanding requiers
a special phone or card, is 400 - 700 kbps and is $79.99 unlimited
with a PCMCIA card

jt
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 7:08:15 PM

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:06:23 -0600, Frankster wrote:

>> Must you have a data plan and if so, how much is it?
>
> No data plan necessary. National Access only. Uses plan minutes and if you
> have free off-prime that works too.
>
> -Frank

OK, thanks. I was under the impression that EVDO phones required a data
plan.
August 3, 2005 7:08:16 PM

> OK, thanks. I was under the impression that EVDO
> phones required a data plan.

Nope.

-Frank
August 3, 2005 10:51:13 PM

I called VZW customer service and asked What is National access and do I
have it on my account because I have the LG 8000 and it has the ability to
do National Access. The rep told me that since I have V-cast/EV-DO I do not
need national access on my account. The rep. then told me that the
V-cast/EV-DO was a far more superior then National access and national
access could not be added to my account because it was not compatible with
the v-cast/EV-DO service. I found all of this info out when I called CS the
second time. The first rep really did not have a clue what I was talking
about. So the rep put me on hold and went to ask a tech person. But the end
result was the same. "It could not be added because it was incompatible.
That was it. The second C,S rep was more knowledgeable and told me even more
then the first rep. did about the V-cast/EV-DO.

"Gary" <gareth@capecod.net> wrote in message

> Can the 8000 be used with a laptop for broadband internet via National
> Access? Do you need to use a modem card plus the phone? Unclear about all
> this and get very conflicting info from vzw.
August 3, 2005 10:58:23 PM

Bottom line. I have had a VX8000 since January of this year. I was on ACI
and when I got this phone under NE2 I was committed to a new contract with a
2-year AC2 plan. My phone is V-Cast and EVDO capable. V-Cast is not
available here. I didn't sign up for it nor did I get the free trial
version. Since January, after obtaining my phone, I have been using it
tethered to my laptop to connect to vzw at speeds of ~60-80 (measured on
broadband.com) and haven't been charged anything for data. I have no data
plan.

-Frank

!