National Access

Can the 8000 be used with a laptop for broadband internet via National
Access? Do you need to use a modem card plus the phone? Unclear about
all this and get very conflicting info from vzw.
9 answers Last reply
More about national access

    > Can the 8000 be used with a laptop for broadband internet via National
    > Access?

    Yes. I'm doing it. ~144kbps

    > Do you need to use a modem card plus the phone? Unclear about all this and
    > get very conflicting info from vzw.

    You just need a USB data cable available on eBay from many suppliers for
    anywhere between $5 and $30. The phone itself is your modem, no "card"
    required.

    1) Buy cable
    2) Go into VX8000 service menu (Menu | 0 | 000000) and ENABLE "DUN" (Dial up
    networking).

    To use the LG 7000/8000 for VZW network 3G 1x DATA connection:
    Set your W2K/XP DUN dialer for the following settings:

    Init String: AT$QCMDR=3
    Dial: #777
    userID: <10digitCellNumber>@vzw3g.com (i.e. 3032292288@vzw3g.com)
    Password: vzw

    -Frank

    Frankster wrote:
    >>Can the 8000 be used with a laptop for broadband internet via National
    >>Access?
    >

    > Yes. I'm doing it. ~144kbps
    >

    >>Do you need to use a modem card plus the phone? Unclear about all this and
    >>get very conflicting info from vzw.
    >

    > You just need a USB data cable available on eBay from many suppliers for
    > anywhere between $5 and $30. The phone itself is your modem, no "card"
    > required.
    >
    > 1) Buy cable
    > 2) Go into VX8000 service menu (Menu | 0 | 000000) and ENABLE "DUN" (Dial up
    > networking).
    >
    > To use the LG 7000/8000 for VZW network 3G 1x DATA connection:
    > Set your W2K/XP DUN dialer for the following settings:
    >
    > Init String: AT$QCMDR=3
    > Dial: #777
    > userID: <10digitCellNumber>@vzw3g.com (i.e. 3032292288@vzw3g.com)
    > Password: vzw
    >
    > -Frank

    Thanks Frank tres cool

    Must you have a data plan and if so, how much is it?

    Thanks

    Traveling
    "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
    >> Can the 8000 be used with a laptop for broadband internet via
    >> National Access?
    >
    > Yes. I'm doing it. ~144kbps
    >
    >> Do you need to use a modem card plus the phone? Unclear about all
    >> this and get very conflicting info from vzw.
    >
    > You just need a USB data cable available on eBay from many suppliers
    > for anywhere between $5 and $30. The phone itself is your modem, no
    > "card" required.
    >
    > 1) Buy cable
    > 2) Go into VX8000 service menu (Menu | 0 | 000000) and ENABLE "DUN"
    > (Dial up networking).
    >
    > To use the LG 7000/8000 for VZW network 3G 1x DATA connection:
    > Set your W2K/XP DUN dialer for the following settings:
    >
    > Init String: AT$QCMDR=3
    > Dial: #777
    > userID: <10digitCellNumber>@vzw3g.com (i.e. 3032292288@vzw3g.com)
    > Password: vzw
    >
    > -Frank

    > Must you have a data plan and if so, how much is it?

    No data plan necessary. National Access only. Uses plan minutes and if you
    have free off-prime that works too.

    -Frank

    Gary wrote:
    > Can the 8000 be used with a laptop for broadband internet via National
    > Access?

    National Access and Broadband access are two different things.

    National Access you can get from any phone with a datacable and is
    60-80 kbps and uses your plan minutes or use a PCMCIA card and get
    unlimited for $59.99, Broadbad access it was my understanding requiers
    a special phone or card, is 400 - 700 kbps and is $79.99 unlimited
    with a PCMCIA card

    jt

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 20:06:23 -0600, Frankster wrote:

    >> Must you have a data plan and if so, how much is it?
    >
    > No data plan necessary. National Access only. Uses plan minutes and if you
    > have free off-prime that works too.
    >
    > -Frank

    OK, thanks. I was under the impression that EVDO phones required a data
    plan.

    > OK, thanks. I was under the impression that EVDO
    > phones required a data plan.

    Nope.

    -Frank

    I called VZW customer service and asked What is National access and do I
    have it on my account because I have the LG 8000 and it has the ability to
    do National Access. The rep told me that since I have V-cast/EV-DO I do not
    need national access on my account. The rep. then told me that the
    V-cast/EV-DO was a far more superior then National access and national
    access could not be added to my account because it was not compatible with
    the v-cast/EV-DO service. I found all of this info out when I called CS the
    second time. The first rep really did not have a clue what I was talking
    about. So the rep put me on hold and went to ask a tech person. But the end
    result was the same. "It could not be added because it was incompatible.
    That was it. The second C,S rep was more knowledgeable and told me even more
    then the first rep. did about the V-cast/EV-DO.

    "Gary" <gareth@capecod.net> wrote in message

    > Can the 8000 be used with a laptop for broadband internet via National
    > Access? Do you need to use a modem card plus the phone? Unclear about all
    > this and get very conflicting info from vzw.

    Bottom line. I have had a VX8000 since January of this year. I was on ACI
    and when I got this phone under NE2 I was committed to a new contract with a
    2-year AC2 plan. My phone is V-Cast and EVDO capable. V-Cast is not
    available here. I didn't sign up for it nor did I get the free trial
    version. Since January, after obtaining my phone, I have been using it
    tethered to my laptop to connect to vzw at speeds of ~60-80 (measured on
    broadband.com) and haven't been charged anything for data. I have no data
    plan.

    -Frank

    "Viper" <user@user.net> wrote in message
    >I called VZW customer service and asked What is National access and do I
    >have it on my account because I have the LG 8000 and it has the ability to
    >do National Access. The rep told me that since I have V-cast/EV-DO I do not
    >need national access on my account. The rep. then told me that the
    > V-cast/EV-DO was a far more superior then National access and national
    > access could not be added to my account because it was not compatible with
    > the v-cast/EV-DO service. I found all of this info out when I called CS
    > the second time. The first rep really did not have a clue what I was
    > talking about. So the rep put me on hold and went to ask a tech person.
    > But the end result was the same. "It could not be added because it was
    > incompatible. That was it. The second C,S rep was more knowledgeable and
    > told me even more then the first rep. did about the V-cast/EV-DO.
    >
    > "Gary" <gareth@capecod.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Can the 8000 be used with a laptop for broadband internet via National
    >> Access? Do you need to use a modem card plus the phone? Unclear about all
    >> this and get very conflicting info from vzw.

Verizon Internet Service Providers