Can you hear yourself when you talk?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
August 1, 2005 11:16:54 AM

I just got this new LG vx6100 and two things that bug me.

1 is that when I talk I can't hear myself. ON my old phone, and my
regular landline phone when I talk I can hear myself talking in the
handset speaker, don't hear anything in this phone.

The other thing that bugs me is that the earpiece is just basically
flat, again on my old phone, like my regular land line phone, the
earpiece is kind of scopped out so I don't have to carefully aim the
speaker in just the right spot to hear, and I think it prevents the
voice of the person I'm talking to from being heard.

do any of the phone have more of a recesed earpiece?

Other than that the speakerphone seems to work ok and the camera is
kinda fun, though the color quality is not that good.

jt

More about : hear talk

August 4, 2005 1:03:39 PM

Isaiah Beard wrote:
> jt wrote:
> > 1 is that when I talk I can't hear myself.
> I take it your previous cell phone was analog?

My previous phone was a StarTAC 7868w and also have a v60c as a spare.
Both of these are "Tri-Mode" i.e. dual band(800,1900), dual mode (CDMA,
AMPS) the new LC vx6100 is the same "Tri-Mode".

Both the Motorola's had the what you call sidetone. I tried one fo the
new Motorola v265s inthe store yesterday and it did seem to have the
sidetone but as you said was more echoy.

I called LG yesterday just to see what they said and was told by the
customer service person that the phone should have the feature. Of of
course when I tried a different phone of the same model inteh store it
was just as bad.

Why is it that cell phones keep getting more and more features, but
worse and worse at making and holding a signal and provideing good
voice sound quality, (that's a retorical question).

In the end maybe I'll get the v265 and keep it as a spare and go back
to teh StarTAC till they pry it from my cold dying hands, or come up
with something as good

jt
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 1:26:44 PM

On 4 Aug 2005 09:03:39 -0700, "jt" <jeeptop2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Why is it that cell phones keep getting more and more features, but
>worse and worse at making and holding a signal and provideing good
>voice sound quality, (that's a retorical question).

Exactly...instead of more reliable service and higher quality
equipment we get gadgets and features because that is what sells!
The cameras are junk, many of the color screens border on unreadable
and the overall quality of the phone leaves much to be desired...but
the manufacturers don't care because they want you to keep buying NEW
phones and signing up for new features and that is just what the
GENERAL public does.

Pegleg
U.S. Navy Retired
Support Our Troops

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
August 4, 2005 2:21:06 PM

jt wrote:
> I just got this new LG vx6100 and two things that bug me.
>
> 1 is that when I talk I can't hear myself. ON my old phone, and my
> regular landline phone when I talk I can hear myself talking in the
> handset speaker, don't hear anything in this phone.

What you're talking about is called sidetone, and it's done primarily as
a comfort factor for the user (and obviously, it works as you were more
comfortable with it than without it). It also gives the person talking
some feedback as to how loud they should talk (this is probably also why
so many people complain that cell phone users talk too loudly... no
sidetone to tell them when their tone of voice is just fine).

I take it your previous cell phone was analog? Sidetone is usually
eliminated from digital cell phones because unfortunately, digital
encoding introduces a delay in transmission (usually lasting between 1/4
and 1/2 a second). If the sidetone wasn't filtered out, you'd instead
hear a delayed echo of yourself talking through the earpiece, which
makes people VERY uncomfortable when they talk.

I know of one Sony Ericsson CDMA phone that did sidetone, but I haven't
heard it on any other digial phone (GSM or CDMA).

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
August 4, 2005 2:33:08 PM

Pegleg wrote:
> On 4 Aug 2005 09:03:39 -0700, "jt" <jeeptop2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Why is it that cell phones keep getting more and more features, but
> >worse and worse at making and holding a signal and provideing good
> >voice sound quality, (that's a retorical question).
>
> Exactly...instead of more reliable service and higher quality
> equipment we get gadgets and features because that is what sells!

I don't know if it is that is wht sells or that is what teh phone
companies want be cause that is what sells extra cost service. for
instance Radio Shack sells the V260 (non camera version) and v265 but
Verizon only has the v265. Of course VZ has made the corporat decision
to maximize there income. and people that havn't been around cell
phones dont know what quality is (I remember MTS and 'car phones with
dials from the 60's).

All that begs the question what phone do I get. I think I'll try the
v265, could probably get by with all digital but really need a
speakerphone for the car

jt
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 10:18:40 PM

On 8/4/05 9:26 AM, in article m5g4f15o27jjhblpk67ram2ns4p7nk9gc1@4ax.com,
"Pegleg" wrote:

> On 4 Aug 2005 09:03:39 -0700, "jt" <jeeptop2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Why is it that cell phones keep getting more and more features, but
>> worse and worse at making and holding a signal and provideing good
>> voice sound quality, (that's a retorical question).
>
> Exactly...instead of more reliable service and higher quality
> equipment we get gadgets and features because that is what sells!
> The cameras are junk, many of the color screens border on unreadable
> and the overall quality of the phone leaves much to be desired...but
> the manufacturers don't care because they want you to keep buying NEW
> phones and signing up for new features and that is just what the
> GENERAL public does.

Actually, it's just market driven forces - don't forget that the target
"consumer" is a thirteen year old girl.....

Recent surveys show, for example, that today's "teens" think that email is
for old people, they use text messaging and similar quirky things on cell
phones. The people who sell phones give the thirteen year old consumer what
she wants. Personally, looking around the mall on any given day, I still
wonder why every child over twelve needs a cell phone at all - and yet,
there they are, prattling endlessly to their friends and dumb old dad pays
the bill. Makes no sense to me......

The notion that the companies have some sinister motive is mildly paranoiac
and ignores the reality of market forces....

Verizon, and their competitors, sell what the market demands.....the dummies
are the parents who tolerate the behavior and subsidize the foolishness that
allows teenagers run the world while adults have to "knuckle under".....!

PC
Another long retired USNer
Father/Grandfather
August 5, 2005 12:34:14 PM

> prattling endlessly to their friends and dumb old dad pays
> the bill. Makes no sense to me......

Most of these are hooked up with non-VZW carriers that offer unlimited
local-only calling for a good price. In my area (Denver), Cricket is one of
these carriers. Unlimited local calling for something like 19 or 29 dollars
a month. The teens can talk themselves to death. No long distance or
roaming, but hey, teens don't care.

-Frank
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 5:35:50 PM

In alt.cellular.verizon, Isaiah Beard <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote:

> I know of one Sony Ericsson CDMA phone that did sidetone, but I haven't
> heard it on any other digial phone (GSM or CDMA).

My MOTO E815 is all digital, and it is full-duplex and has "sidetone".

--
Why don't presidents fight the war?
Why do they always send the poor?

-- System of a Down