ATI to roll out R500 GPU for Xbox 2 in 1Q 2005 (?)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

I don't quite buy Xbox 2 having R500. was hoping for more like R600 but I
suppose R500 probably more likely fits the late 2005 timeframe than R600.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20040930A7056.html

ATI to roll out R500 GPU for Xbox 2 in 1Q 2005

Charles Chou, Taipei; Steve Shen, DigiTimes.com
[Thursday 30 September 2004]

ATI Technologies is expected to roll out a new GPU, codenamed R500,
for the Xbox 2 in the first quarter of next year, according to market
sources.

The R500 will be built using a 90nm process at Taiwan Semiconductor
Manufacturing Company (TSMC) and will deliver performance similar to ATI's
next-generation high-end graphics chip, the R520, the sources said.

ATI is cooperating with Microsoft to develop the chip, but the
software vendor will be responsible for placing orders with TSMC. ATI will
receive royalties from Microsoft based on the number of chips produced.

In related news, the sources said that ATI has completed the tape-out
of its R480 chip, which is due to launch in the fourth quarter. The R480 is
being manufactured at TSMC, using a 0.11-micron process.

begin 666 spacepx.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
`
end

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

I expect it will end up being a cross of the R500 and R600 much like how
the CPU in the current XBox shares celeron and pentium 3 aspects.

"Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I expect it will end up being a cross of the R500 and R600 much like how
>the CPU in the current XBox shares celeron and pentium 3 aspects.

I thought it *was* a Celeron.

What does the Xbox CPU have that a Celeron 733 doesn't?

"Just Askin'" <Justin@c.com> wrote in message

> "Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I expect it will end up being a cross of the R500 and R600 much like how
>>the CPU in the current XBox shares celeron and pentium 3 aspects.
>
> I thought it *was* a Celeron.
>
> What does the Xbox CPU have that a Celeron 733 doesn't?

I think I've seen the comment that it was a custom Celeron chip, but I
think the only thing custom about it was its size. The GPU in the Xbox is a
blend between the Geforce 2 and 3, if I recall.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox (More info?)

more L2 cache

"Just Askin'" <Justin@c.com> wrote in message

> "Nicholas Andrade" <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I expect it will end up being a cross of the R500 and R600 much like how
>>the CPU in the current XBox shares celeron and pentium 3 aspects.
>
> I thought it *was* a Celeron.
>
> What does the Xbox CPU have that a Celeron 733 doesn't?

TRENDING THREADS