which usb2 tv tuner?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 2, 2004 6:32:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Which USB 2 TV tuner has the best quality for use in laptops? How does it
compare to PCI in terms of quality. The Compro VideoMate Live USB2 has good
review but it's $150. It's it worth it?

More about : usb2 tuner

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2004 6:32:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

The Pinnacle USB2 tuner is getting some pretty good reviews and lists for
$99.

leo wrote:

> Which USB 2 TV tuner has the best quality for use in laptops? How does it
> compare to PCI in terms of quality. The Compro VideoMate Live USB2 has
> good review but it's $150. It's it worth it?

For a hundred bucks more you can get the Sasem Onair, which does HDTV.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

> leo wrote:
>
>> Which USB 2 TV tuner has the best quality for use in laptops? How does it
>> compare to PCI in terms of quality. The Compro VideoMate Live USB2 has
>> good review but it's $150. It's it worth it?
>
> For a hundred bucks more you can get the Sasem Onair, which does HDTV.
>
> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Thanks everyone. Where I live have no clear HDTV signals over the air, so
Sasem Onair is more than I ever need. I just ordered Adaptec VideOh! USB2.
PC Mag likes it better than Pinnacle's comparable offering.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2004 11:30:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> Which USB 2 TV tuner has the best quality for use in laptops? How does it
> compare to PCI in terms of quality. The Compro VideoMate Live USB2 has
good
> review but it's $150. It's it worth it?

The one NOT to buy for a laptop is the V-STREAM Xpert TV-PVR.
It has fine video, and mpeg4 encoding capabilities, but there is the
following problem:
The audio comes out via a separate analog cable. Unless your laptop has the
ability to loop the analog input to speakers or headphone out, you won't be
able to hear sound. Apparently the Soundblaster compatible cards can do
this.

Complete description at
http://www.kworld.com.tw/en/product/PVR-USB-2/PVR-USB-2...

If anybody wants mine, they can have it for $45. Respond to
bobsoldjunk@yahoo.com
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2004 11:59:52 PM

> leo wrote:
>
> > Which USB 2 TV tuner has the best quality for use in laptops? How does
it
> > compare to PCI in terms of quality. The Compro VideoMate Live USB2 has
> > good review but it's $150. It's it worth it?
>
> For a hundred bucks more you can get the Sasem Onair, which does HDTV.
>
> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

It seems there are a lot of problems:
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?b...
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2004 12:10:31 AM

> leo wrote:
>
> > Which USB 2 TV tuner has the best quality for use in laptops? How does
it
> > compare to PCI in terms of quality. The Compro VideoMate Live USB2 has
> > good review but it's $150. It's it worth it?
>
> For a hundred bucks more you can get the Sasem Onair, which does HDTV.
>
> --
> --John
> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

It seems there are a lot of problems:
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?b...
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2004 2:18:04 AM

Robert Morein wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> leo wrote:
>>
>> > Which USB 2 TV tuner has the best quality for use in laptops? How does
> it
>> > compare to PCI in terms of quality. The Compro VideoMate Live USB2 has
>> > good review but it's $150. It's it worth it?
>>
>> For a hundred bucks more you can get the Sasem Onair, which does HDTV.
>>
>> --
>> --John
>> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
>> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
>
> It seems there are a lot of problems:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?b...

One unit with a bad power supply is not "a lot of problems".

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2004 3:30:48 AM

Just stay away from ATI units. Support is atrocious.
October 3, 2004 7:28:55 AM

"Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message

> "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>> Which USB 2 TV tuner has the best quality for use in laptops? How does it
>> compare to PCI in terms of quality. The Compro VideoMate Live USB2 has
> good
>> review but it's $150. It's it worth it?
>>
> The one NOT to buy for a laptop is the V-STREAM Xpert TV-PVR.
> It has fine video, and mpeg4 encoding capabilities, but there is the
> following problem:
> The audio comes out via a separate analog cable. Unless your laptop has
> the
> ability to loop the analog input to speakers or headphone out, you won't
> be
> able to hear sound. Apparently the Soundblaster compatible cards can do
> this.
>
> Complete description at
> http://www.kworld.com.tw/en/product/PVR-USB-2/PVR-USB-2...
>
> If anybody wants mine, they can have it for $45. Respond to
> bobsoldjunk@yahoo.com

I just ordered Adaptec VideOh USB2. It doesn't seem to have audio out, so I
am assuming only USB2 is needed to connect to the laptop, and hopefully no
audio out of sync issues like older USB1 TV tuners with separate audio out.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2004 7:28:56 AM

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 03:28:55 GMT, "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

>I just ordered Adaptec VideOh USB2. It doesn't seem to have audio out, so I
>am assuming only USB2 is needed to connect to the laptop, and hopefully no
>audio out of sync issues like older USB1 TV tuners with separate audio out.

You should be pretty happy with that unit. I have one I'm about to put
on eBay (I have too much capture hardware). It works well with
Snapstream's BeyondTV. It doesn't work, BTW, with Freytechnologies'
SageTV.

Kevin Miller

"Either way, it is bad for Zathras."
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2004 2:08:54 PM

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:32:38 GMT, "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

>Which USB 2 TV tuner has the best quality for use in laptops? How does it
>compare to PCI in terms of quality. The Compro VideoMate Live USB2 has good
>review but it's $150. It's it worth it?

I use Hauppauge Win TV PVR USB 2 and it is excellent... it works with
BTV as well as Sage TV...
I like Sage TV as it does better audio then BTV and is more stable for
me..
I have recorded over 300 television shows over the past few months and
all have been great...
Plextor just came out with a new Convert X PVR... it should be good
too....
Glenn M
!