which usb2 tv tuner?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Which USB 2 TV tuner has the best quality for use in laptops? How does it
compare to PCI in terms of quality. The Compro VideoMate Live USB2 has good
review but it's $150. It's it worth it?
11 answers Last reply
More about which usb2 tuner
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    The Pinnacle USB2 tuner is getting some pretty good reviews and lists for
    $99.

    "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
    > Which USB 2 TV tuner has the best quality for use in laptops? How does it
    > compare to PCI in terms of quality. The Compro VideoMate Live USB2 has
    > good review but it's $150. It's it worth it?

  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    leo wrote:

    > Which USB 2 TV tuner has the best quality for use in laptops? How does it
    > compare to PCI in terms of quality. The Compro VideoMate Live USB2 has
    > good review but it's $150. It's it worth it?

    For a hundred bucks more you can get the Sasem Onair, which does HDTV.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    > leo wrote:
    >
    >> Which USB 2 TV tuner has the best quality for use in laptops? How does it
    >> compare to PCI in terms of quality. The Compro VideoMate Live USB2 has
    >> good review but it's $150. It's it worth it?
    >
    > For a hundred bucks more you can get the Sasem Onair, which does HDTV.
    >
    > --
    > --John
    > Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Thanks everyone. Where I live have no clear HDTV signals over the air, so
    Sasem Onair is more than I ever need. I just ordered Adaptec VideOh! USB2.
    PC Mag likes it better than Pinnacle's comparable offering.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
    > Which USB 2 TV tuner has the best quality for use in laptops? How does it
    > compare to PCI in terms of quality. The Compro VideoMate Live USB2 has
    good
    > review but it's $150. It's it worth it?

    The one NOT to buy for a laptop is the V-STREAM Xpert TV-PVR.
    It has fine video, and mpeg4 encoding capabilities, but there is the
    following problem:
    The audio comes out via a separate analog cable. Unless your laptop has the
    ability to loop the analog input to speakers or headphone out, you won't be
    able to hear sound. Apparently the Soundblaster compatible cards can do
    this.

    Complete description at
    http://www.kworld.com.tw/en/product/PVR-USB-2/PVR-USB-2.html

    If anybody wants mine, they can have it for $45. Respond to
    bobsoldjunk@yahoo.com
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    > leo wrote:
    >
    > > Which USB 2 TV tuner has the best quality for use in laptops? How does
    it
    > > compare to PCI in terms of quality. The Compro VideoMate Live USB2 has
    > > good review but it's $150. It's it worth it?
    >
    > For a hundred bucks more you can get the Sasem Onair, which does HDTV.
    >
    > --
    > --John
    > Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    It seems there are a lot of problems:
    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=si_hmtheatre&message.id=12&page=7

    > leo wrote:
    >
    > > Which USB 2 TV tuner has the best quality for use in laptops? How does
    it
    > > compare to PCI in terms of quality. The Compro VideoMate Live USB2 has
    > > good review but it's $150. It's it worth it?
    >
    > For a hundred bucks more you can get the Sasem Onair, which does HDTV.
    >
    > --
    > --John
    > Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    > (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    It seems there are a lot of problems:
    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=si_hmtheatre&message.id=12&page=7
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Robert Morein wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    >> leo wrote:
    >>
    >> > Which USB 2 TV tuner has the best quality for use in laptops? How does
    > it
    >> > compare to PCI in terms of quality. The Compro VideoMate Live USB2 has
    >> > good review but it's $150. It's it worth it?
    >>
    >> For a hundred bucks more you can get the Sasem Onair, which does HDTV.
    >>
    >> --
    >> --John
    >> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    >> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
    >
    > It seems there are a lot of problems:

    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=si_hmtheatre&message.id=12&page=7

    One unit with a bad power supply is not "a lot of problems".

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Just stay away from ATI units. Support is atrocious.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    > "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
    >> Which USB 2 TV tuner has the best quality for use in laptops? How does it
    >> compare to PCI in terms of quality. The Compro VideoMate Live USB2 has
    > good
    >> review but it's $150. It's it worth it?
    >>
    > The one NOT to buy for a laptop is the V-STREAM Xpert TV-PVR.
    > It has fine video, and mpeg4 encoding capabilities, but there is the
    > following problem:
    > The audio comes out via a separate analog cable. Unless your laptop has
    > the
    > ability to loop the analog input to speakers or headphone out, you won't
    > be
    > able to hear sound. Apparently the Soundblaster compatible cards can do
    > this.
    >
    > Complete description at
    > http://www.kworld.com.tw/en/product/PVR-USB-2/PVR-USB-2.html
    >
    > If anybody wants mine, they can have it for $45. Respond to
    > bobsoldjunk@yahoo.com

    I just ordered Adaptec VideOh USB2. It doesn't seem to have audio out, so I
    am assuming only USB2 is needed to connect to the laptop, and hopefully no
    audio out of sync issues like older USB1 TV tuners with separate audio out.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 03:28:55 GMT, "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

    >I just ordered Adaptec VideOh USB2. It doesn't seem to have audio out, so I
    >am assuming only USB2 is needed to connect to the laptop, and hopefully no
    >audio out of sync issues like older USB1 TV tuners with separate audio out.

    You should be pretty happy with that unit. I have one I'm about to put
    on eBay (I have too much capture hardware). It works well with
    Snapstream's BeyondTV. It doesn't work, BTW, with Freytechnologies'
    SageTV.

    Kevin Miller

    "Either way, it is bad for Zathras."

    On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:32:38 GMT, "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

    >Which USB 2 TV tuner has the best quality for use in laptops? How does it
    >compare to PCI in terms of quality. The Compro VideoMate Live USB2 has good
    >review but it's $150. It's it worth it?

    I use Hauppauge Win TV PVR USB 2 and it is excellent... it works with
    BTV as well as Sage TV...
    I like Sage TV as it does better audio then BTV and is more stable for
    me..
    I have recorded over 300 television shows over the past few months and
    all have been great...
    Plextor just came out with a new Convert X PVR... it should be good
    too....
    Glenn M

Graphics Cards TV Tuner Video Graphics