Windows 8 and ATI duel graphics HELP!!!

skinnymeat

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Thanks guys in advance for any help/input

I have an HP DV6 LAPTOP (DV6-3206AX) with windows 7 pre installed. I have upgraded to windows 8 and am having a huge problem with my graphics cards / drivers.

This laptop uses to graphics cards from what I understand, a low end one for while you are on the battery and a high end one for gaming ect when you have it plugged in.

Heres my problem...

I cannot select my high end graphics are with the drivers that windows 8 installs nor the Latest AMD ATI Catalyst drivers.

from what I can see when I look at my screen resolution it says I have 2 screens attached one being the laptop screen and the other being called "other" I think that other is the high end graphics card, but when I select it and click apply the screen flicks to black and displays nothing and I have to wait until windows reverts back to the basic one.
there are no setting in the AMD ATI Catalyst about selecting witch one I would like to use.

its like windows thinks that the second graphics card is another screen attached to the laptop and doesn't allow it to work how windows 7 used to.

also now I cannot use system restore to roll back to win7 because win8 doesn't allow it

any help would be much appreciated and I hope you can understand my problem from what I have said

skinnymeat

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Well, using that Latest AMD ATI Catalyst drivers, if i allow it to extend desktop so that my laptop screen and the "other" are both being used, i get the option to choose what power mode i want witch determined the gpu its using, the problem is that now my curser goes off the screen when i goto the far left... as if there is more to the screen then what i can see on my one monitor.

and as soon as i set it to show desktop only on 1 the gpu options all dissapire and im back to the low end card again.

as for the ome drivers they did not work at all, and i never had problems like this with win7

skinnymeat

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Just a quick update. i have reinstalled yet again and now it seems to be working slightly better

New problem is that the AMD powerXpress software is letting me select the high performance gpu (ati radeon 5000) but it doesnt seem to engage. when i open it again its back to power saving gpu (ati radeon 4200).

When i go into the device manager i have "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" on my high performance gpu

cant work out why it cannot start and would like to get it going so i can play games again

thanks again guys

vincent

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Not to be too sarcastic, but does anyone check to see if there hardware is compatible and supported by windows 8 before buying it. I mean there is a hardware, and driver supported list of products you know.
You need to check this before you buy windows 8 if you have never used it.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/win8/CompatCenter/ProductViewerWithDefaultFilters?TempOsid=win8&Locale=en-us&TextSearch=windows%2B8&Type=Both&CurrentPage=0&TotalPages=1&ShowCriteria=0&SortCriteria=Relevance&Compatibility=Unknown&LastRequested=14

jimzubemo

Honorable
Jan 29, 2013

People are complaining of issue with ATI Radeon 5xxx series GPUs mostly on HP laptops. I had the same issue but resolved referring to this -

http://day2dayexps.blogspot.in/2013/01/ati-radeon-graphics-issue-windows8.html