Q: Molex 4-pin cable to 3-pin needed?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

Hi all,

I have a 3-year old socket A motherboard (Soltek SL-75DRV2) and a
Geforce 3 Ti 200 videocard which I want to upgrade to a Geforce 6800 (no
Ultra or GT). From various sources this should be doable however I am
reading that newer videocards have a 4-pin Molex voltage connection for
the fanwhile the mobo only has 3-pin slots. Is that a problem? Do I need
a connection cable or something?

Thanks in advance,

Jacek
3 answers Last reply
More about molex cable needed
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Jacek Skowronek wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a 3-year old socket A motherboard (Soltek SL-75DRV2) and a
    > Geforce 3 Ti 200 videocard which I want to upgrade to a Geforce 6800 (no
    > Ultra or GT). From various sources this should be doable however I am
    > reading that newer videocards have a 4-pin Molex voltage connection for
    > the fanwhile the mobo only has 3-pin slots. Is that a problem? Do I need
    > a connection cable or something?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Jacek
    It's a standard Molex connector on the tail of the card that can connect
    to one of your Molex leads from your Power Supply. It has nothing to do
    with the fan on the card. The card requires extra power to run properly.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    "Jacek Skowronek" <jacek_skowronek@hotmail.nl> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a 3-year old socket A motherboard (Soltek SL-75DRV2) and a Geforce
    > 3 Ti 200 videocard which I want to upgrade to a Geforce 6800 (no Ultra or
    > GT). From various sources this should be doable however I am reading that
    > newer videocards have a 4-pin Molex voltage connection for the fanwhile
    > the mobo only has 3-pin slots. Is that a problem? Do I need a connection
    > cable or something?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Jacek

    I would suggest staying where you at on your P3 system.
    4pins molex you speaking of, you will need to have one available.

    [IMHO for the following]
    If you insist on getting any 6800 series, I would recommend or suggest
    getting a P4 w/533 FSB or better system with 3GHz CPU or higher.

    CapFusion,...
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    "Jacek Skowronek" <jacek_skowronek@hotmail.nl> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a 3-year old socket A motherboard (Soltek SL-75DRV2) and a
    > Geforce 3 Ti 200 videocard which I want to upgrade to a Geforce 6800 (no
    > Ultra or GT). From various sources this should be doable however I am
    > reading that newer videocards have a 4-pin Molex voltage connection for
    > the fanwhile the mobo only has 3-pin slots. Is that a problem? Do I need
    > a connection cable or something?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Jacek

    A "4-pin molex connection" is exactly what comes out of the power supply to
    connect cdroms, hard drives, etc....use one of those...

Graphics Cards Graphics