DVD Drive Won't Read DVD's

jeff

I have a P4 500XL with a DVD burner (Model HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4020B).
Until recently, it worked well. However, now it will only read CD's.
When I insert a DVD that I previously burned, the icon in "my
computer" will change from "DVD-RAM Drive D" to "CD Drive D", and it
won't recognize any of the data. Any suggestions? Thanks.

It sounds like the DVD laser has failed -time for a new drive.

"Jeff" <jeffsher@registerednurses.com> wrote in message
>I have a P4 500XL with a DVD burner (Model HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4020B).
> Until recently, it worked well. However, now it will only read CD's.
> When I insert a DVD that I previously burned, the icon in "my
> computer" will change from "DVD-RAM Drive D" to "CD Drive D", and it
> won't recognize any of the data. Any suggestions? Thanks.

jeff

I initially thought it was something to do with SP2, since it happened
after I installed this. However, I booted with an old hard drive
without SP2, and it still won't read DVD's. I agree with you ; it's a
DVD drive failure.

I do have another question: do these drives have separate lasers for
the DVD and the CD? Thanks for responding.

Jeff

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message news:<Txv7d.11122$kU4.9344@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>...
> It sounds like the DVD laser has failed -time for a new drive.
>
> "Jeff" <jeffsher@registerednurses.com> wrote in message
> >I have a P4 500XL with a DVD burner (Model HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4020B).
> > Until recently, it worked well. However, now it will only read CD's.
> > When I insert a DVD that I previously burned, the icon in "my
> > computer" will change from "DVD-RAM Drive D" to "CD Drive D", and it
> > won't recognize any of the data. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Yes, they do - the wavelength of the laser used to read DVDs is shorter than
the IR laser used to read compact discs.