DVD Drive Won't Read DVD's

I have a P4 500XL with a DVD burner (Model HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4020B).
Until recently, it worked well. However, now it will only read CD's.
When I insert a DVD that I previously burned, the icon in "my
computer" will change from "DVD-RAM Drive D" to "CD Drive D", and it
won't recognize any of the data. Any suggestions? Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about drive read

    It sounds like the DVD laser has failed -time for a new drive.

    "Jeff" <jeffsher@registerednurses.com> wrote in message
    >I have a P4 500XL with a DVD burner (Model HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4020B).
    > Until recently, it worked well. However, now it will only read CD's.
    > When I insert a DVD that I previously burned, the icon in "my
    > computer" will change from "DVD-RAM Drive D" to "CD Drive D", and it
    > won't recognize any of the data. Any suggestions? Thanks.

    I initially thought it was something to do with SP2, since it happened
    after I installed this. However, I booted with an old hard drive
    without SP2, and it still won't read DVD's. I agree with you ; it's a
    DVD drive failure.

    I do have another question: do these drives have separate lasers for
    the DVD and the CD? Thanks for responding.

    Jeff

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message news:<Txv7d.11122$kU4.9344@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com>...
    > It sounds like the DVD laser has failed -time for a new drive.
    >
    > "Jeff" <jeffsher@registerednurses.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a P4 500XL with a DVD burner (Model HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4020B).
    > > Until recently, it worked well. However, now it will only read CD's.
    > > When I insert a DVD that I previously burned, the icon in "my
    > > computer" will change from "DVD-RAM Drive D" to "CD Drive D", and it
    > > won't recognize any of the data. Any suggestions? Thanks.

    Yes, they do - the wavelength of the laser used to read DVDs is shorter than
    the IR laser used to read compact discs.

    >I initially thought it was something to do with SP2, since it happened
    > after I installed this. However, I booted with an old hard drive
    > without SP2, and it still won't read DVD's. I agree with you ; it's a
    > DVD drive failure.
    >
    > I do have another question: do these drives have separate lasers for
    > the DVD and the CD? Thanks for responding.

Gateway DVD DVD Drives Computers