RadioShack dumps VerizonWireless?????

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
August 1, 2005 10:49:48 PM

http://www.mobiledia.com/news/33816.html

Maybe VerizonWireless needs to rethink some of those policy changes.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 10:49:49 PM

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 18:49:48 GMT, "Dave" <davepmer@insightbb.com>
wrote:

>http://www.mobiledia.com/news/33816.html
>
>Maybe VerizonWireless needs to rethink some of those policy changes.

I wonder who decided that RS was "the nation's most trusted consumer
electronics specialty retailer."
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 10:49:49 PM

"Dave" <davepmer@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> http://www.mobiledia.com/news/33816.html
>
> Maybe VerizonWireless needs to rethink some of those policy changes.

I agree, they do. The endless "take-aways" and price increases will drive
people from their network and increase churn. I may well bail when my
contract is up.

But just because RS will become a Cingular agent, it doesn't mean they're
dumping VZW. They've sold VZW and Sprint for the longest time-- and lots of
places sell four or five different carriers. Best Buy immediately comes to
mind...

August 1, 2005 10:49:50 PM

The Ghost of General Lee wrote:

> I wonder who decided that RS was "the nation's most trusted consumer
> electronics specialty retailer."

Radio Shack's marketing department. Duh.

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 12:24:41 AM

ghost@general.lee (The Ghost of General Lee) wrote in

> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 18:49:48 GMT, "Dave" <davepmer@insightbb.com>
> wrote:
>
>>http://www.mobiledia.com/news/33816.html
>>
>>Maybe VerizonWireless needs to rethink some of those policy
>>changes.
>>

> I wonder who decided that RS was "the nation's most trusted
> consumer electronics specialty retailer."

Cingular.

That's a verbatim transcript of their press release.

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/micro_stories.pl?ACCT...
NGUL1&STORY=/www/story/08-01-2005/0004078870&EDATE=Aug+1,+2005

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com
Anonymous

Radio Shack? The only reason I go to that store is because it is the
only store around that sells electronic components; switches,
resistors, capacitors, etc. Overpriced, but at least available. They
are small. They don't have much stock on hand. Their "Tandy" brand of
consumer electronics are overpriced junk. It's not the place to buy a
computer. Their phones stink. Most outlets around here (Washington,
DC area) are more like kiosks than stores. They are low volume
outlets. Let them handle Cingular. A good fit. Overpriced. And
Circuit City and others will handle Verizon. If Cingular thinks Radio
Shack is good for their business, that's another reason I'm glad I
didn't go with Cingular.

Lena
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 12:22:15 PM

Lena wrote:
> Radio Shack? The only reason I go to that store is because it is the
> only store around that sells electronic components; switches,
> resistors, capacitors, etc. Overpriced, but at least available. They
> are small. They don't have much stock on hand. Their "Tandy" brand of
> consumer electronics are overpriced junk. It's not the place to buy a
> computer. Their phones stink. Most outlets around here (Washington,
> DC area) are more like kiosks than stores. They are low volume
> outlets. Let them handle Cingular. A good fit. Overpriced. And
> Circuit City and others will handle Verizon. If Cingular thinks Radio
> Shack is good for their business, that's another reason I'm glad I
> didn't go with Cingular.
>
> Lena

I agree, i only got to the Shack when I absolutely HAVE to. And that
hasnt been in a few years LOL and even then I didnt buy anything
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 2:35:39 PM

Lena wrote:
> Radio Shack? The only reason I go to that store is because it is the
> only store around that sells electronic components; switches,
> resistors, capacitors, etc. Overpriced, but at least available. They
> are small. They don't have much stock on hand. Their "Tandy" brand of
> consumer electronics are overpriced junk. It's not the place to buy a
> computer. Their phones stink. Most outlets around here (Washington,
> DC area) are more like kiosks than stores. They are low volume
> outlets. Let them handle Cingular. A good fit. Overpriced. And
> Circuit City and others will handle Verizon. If Cingular thinks Radio
> Shack is good for their business, that's another reason I'm glad I
> didn't go with Cingular.

Cingular, overpriced? Have you compared them to VZW lately?

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 3:10:04 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:

> Cingular, overpriced? Have you compared them to VZW lately?

Yes, because I just went through the exercise of comparing the two in
trying to decide what service to take.

First, a look at the coverage map of the two shows Verizon's CDMA
coverage of the US far better than Cingular GSM.

At the time I signed up (July 15, 05) V and C offered similar Family
Share plans; $59.99 for two lines, 500 minutes, free m-m, free n&w. On
V, the third, fourth and fifth lines were $9.99 each, with C, the two
additional lines were $14.99 each.

In my particular case, four lines on a family plan was cheaper with
Verizon than Cingular, for better coverage. V allows up to 5 lines, C
only four.

Rollover? C has it, V doesn't, but because of free m-m and n&w, we
never approach our 500 minute limit. Don't use txt msg, Pix, web or
any extra stuff.

For my usage, Verizon is a better deal than Cingular, and I stand by my
contention that Cingular is overpriced.

Lena
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 3:51:32 PM

Lena wrote:

> In my particular case, four lines on a family plan was cheaper with
> Verizon than Cingular, for better coverage. V allows up to 5 lines, C
> only four.

Ah. That makes sense, but I can't see Cingular being more expensive than
Verizon in general. The only reason it was more expensive in your case was
because you couldn't share that fifth line.

> For my usage, Verizon is a better deal than Cingular, and I stand by my
> contention that Cingular is overpriced.

I argue that yes, it's overpriced for you, but when comparing apples to
apples, plan X from Cingular will probably be a bit less expensive than the
equivalent Verizon plan, and I'm not figuring in how much rollover is worth
because rollover is worthless to many people who never go over their monthly
allotment anyhow. :)

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:31:26 PM

In alt.cellular.verizon, The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote:

> I wonder who decided that RS was "the nation's most trusted consumer
> electronics specialty retailer."

That was an obvious reprint of a press release. Some PR flack for Rat
Shack wrote the "news" article.

--
Why don't presidents fight the war?
Why do they always send the poor?

-- System of a Down
August 2, 2005 11:09:54 PM

In article <1122999605.004675.190730@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Lena <lenagainster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Never been to a Radio Shack in Alexandria, VA. Can't get through the
> traffic.

Been to a bunch of Radio Shack stores in Maryland and Washington, DC.
All were stores. None were like kiosks. I don't go there for phone
stuff or other gadgets but for electronic parts or cables. If you can't
wait for something to be sent they are the only place you can drive to
and get it right away which seems to happen a lot. As much fun I make
of Radio Shack I am glad they exist.

--
Charles
Anonymous

I agree with you, Lena.

"Lena" <lenagainster@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Radio Shack? The only reason I go to that store is because it is the
> only store around that sells electronic components; switches,
> resistors, capacitors, etc. Overpriced, but at least available. They
> are small. They don't have much stock on hand. Their "Tandy" brand of
> consumer electronics are overpriced junk. It's not the place to buy a
> computer. Their phones stink. Most outlets around here (Washington,
> DC area) are more like kiosks than stores. They are low volume
> outlets. Let them handle Cingular. A good fit. Overpriced. And
> Circuit City and others will handle Verizon. If Cingular thinks Radio
> Shack is good for their business, that's another reason I'm glad I
> didn't go with Cingular.
>
> Lena

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:01:33 AM

Thee has not been anything in RadioShack store branded "Tandy" in
years. They sell pretty much the same models of verizon and Sprint PCS
phones as anyone else. They have at least two grades of store besides
the new kiosks. The dollar volume of the store dictates the grade they
are put in and that governs the number of products and the "on hand"
levels. However, any store can have shipped directly to the customer,
at no additional cost, any product that is store stock able. There are
some products that are sold only online. If you need the product in a
hurry, a store to store transfer might help, or they can tell you where
the nearest store that has one in stock is located. Last I knew they
sold some pretty good hp computers. The sales volume per store may not
be huge, but there are a lot of stores.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:10:09 AM

That depends where you are. In Wisc., cingular covers a lot more
square miles and population than verizon. However, cingular is still 2g
gsm, whereas verizon is 3g CDMA. In my opinion 500 minutes for 3 phones
is usually too small, unless one or more of the phones does mostly
mobile to mobile with the other two. So it would better to compare the
two carriers with higher level plans.
August 3, 2005 7:49:44 AM

Lena, you were amazing when you wrote:

> Radio Shack?

I almost never go there!

Go ahead, ask me the last time I actually purchased something there! I won't
have an answer because I honestly do not know.

> The only reason I go to that store

You don't need to explain. It's like the dentist. You only go because you
have to!

Did I mention that Radio Shack is not competitive? I will challenge you to
actually walk into a Radio Shack store and ask the clerk about their return
policy on ANYTHING they sell.

What? No refunds? Surprised you don't shop there more often?

> Their "Tandy" brand of consumer
> electronics are overpriced junk.

Very well said, Lena!

I would ... N E V E R ... purchase a "Tandy" product from Radio Shack.

Oh and who buys a radio these days? They haven't heard of stereo? HINT: They
carry a huge stock of undersold mono plugs that no-one will ever buy!!

> It's not the place to buy a computer.

It's certainly not the place to buy a cellular phone!!

> Their phones stink.

Again, ask about their RETURN POLICY. Watch their face turn red and be
prepared to be escorted out the door by the store manager!

> Let them handle Cingular.

Yeh! Give them our competition. =D

> A good fit.

You are funny! =D

> And Circuit City and others will handle Verizon.

I actually shop at Circuit City sometimes!!

Here's a tip: walk into a Radio Shack - write down the total number of
actual customers.
Next, walk into a Circuit City and write down the total number of customers
standing in line.

The number of Circuit City customers standing in line to buy will be higher
than the total number of customers just lurking in Radio Shack.

'Nuff said.

> If Cingular thinks Radio Shack is good for
> their business, that's another reason I'm
> glad I didn't go with Cingular.

HAHAHAHAH !!

Years ago there was a store called, "Crazy Eddie". They didn't last - let it
be known that Cingular's failure will be the result of this awful move.

While I don't expect Verizon's consumer base to skyrocket - I certainly
don't expect Cingular's accounting to generate a surplus from this deal.

--
______________
=====fish=====

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> In my opinion 500 minutes for 3 phones
> is usually too small, unless one or more of the phones does mostly
> mobile to mobile with the other two. So it would better to compare the
> two carriers with higher level plans.

Actually, the 500 minutes are used among FOUR lines. For the past two
years, the four of us have been using prepay. I monitored and charted
the usage of all four, and renewed airtime as necessary. With prepay,
every minute of every call was charged against the balance, no free
airtime, and actually, 4 minutes of airtime was charged for every
minute of a call while roaming. In a month, the four of us never went
over 400 minutes.

With the Verizon Family Share program, nights and weekends are free,
mobile to moble (Verizon) are free, and the only tme we use up the 500
minute allowance is Monday thru Friday to a non-Verizon wireless phone.
Granted that with all the free airtime, we are using the phones a lot
more than we did with prepay, but we are not approaching the 500
minutes. (At this point in our billing cycle, we should have burned
352 minutes of the 500 minute allotment to be on track to use 500 in a
month. We have only used 106. We have used 542 minutes total.)

Many of the calls with prepay were on the weekend, when we were out of
town in an area that was roaming. At 4 minutes per minute, we would
eat up our balance rapidly. We found it cheaper to hang up, and call
back via a payphone using OneSuite so we could talk longer. Now all
those calls are free with Verizon.

Although we have not been on the plan for a full month, watching our
minutes usage online indicates that 500 minutes per month is more than
adequate. If it proves to be less than adequate, a $10 jump to the
$69.99 plan with 700 minutes would definitely cover our needs.

Lena
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 1:36:02 PM

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 08:45:07 -0400, "Wayne Farmer"
<usenet@endymionsystems.com> wrote:

>http://www.wirelessnewsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=... , which
>quotes a Yankee Group analyst as saying "Losing RadioShack is significant
>for Verizon because RadioShack has a reputation for good service and they
>have a huge network of stores."

I heard on the radio yesterday morning that Radio Shack was Verizon
Wireless' most costly sales channel, and would not hurt Verizon.

--
Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."

In my opinion RS had the least knowledgeable employees around. And they
always look like they are waiting for a break. The VZ store employees
although not perfect and much more mature and usually more knowledgeble.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:22:53 PM

What problem do you have with RadioShack's 30 day return policy? It is
a fairly common retail return policy. It is also a 30 day price
guaranty. What is with your stereo comment? They sell lots of stereo
equipment. They also sell mono equipment that is mono wherever you buy
it. Why would someone be escorted out the door for returning something.
I wrote up many returns when I worked there. I have returned things
my self, both when I worked there and not. Try walking in to all the
RadioShacks in the area served by the circuit city store. I have never
bought anything at circuit city. And I have been in a circuit city when
the employees outnumbered the customers too. I do buy things at
American and a long time ago I bought some things from best buy.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 4:08:49 PM

Then again, it would not be hard for four phones to use more than 700
minutes in less than a week. As for us, our three phones are not likely
to go over our 800 minutes, even though one of them is used by a sixteen
year old daughter. hihi
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 6:45:00 PM

I have purchased things is Houston, TX and returned them in Appleton, WI a
month later.. See no problem with that

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> What problem do you have with RadioShack's 30 day return policy? It is a
> fairly common retail return policy. It is also a 30 day price guaranty.
> What is with your stereo comment? They sell lots of stereo equipment.
> They also sell mono equipment that is mono wherever you buy it. Why would
> someone be escorted out the door for returning something. I wrote up many
> returns when I worked there. I have returned things my self, both when I
> worked there and not. Try walking in to all the RadioShacks in the area
> served by the circuit city store. I have never bought anything at circuit
> city. And I have been in a circuit city when the employees outnumbered
> the customers too. I do buy things at American and a long time ago I
> bought some things from best buy.
August 5, 2005 5:07:38 AM

David S sez...

> Circuit City really pissed me off a couple years ago.
> I bought a camcorder, then A week or two later,
> some lady from CC called, and launched into a
> survey about how we liked our new camcorder.

There are two mistakes you made.

#1 rule: NEVER give out personal info when purchasing ANYTHING.
For Circuit City to call you - you had to provide them your phone number.

They tried that s*** on me and I told them to their face that my privacy is
not for sale.
They used the excuse, "we only need it if you return the product without the
receipt".
I responded back saying that if I wish to return it, I will have the
receipt.
The clerk at the register had to call the manager to get approval to sell me
an item without entering my home address and telephone number into their
register.

I never said I shopped at Circuit City all the time. When I buy music, I'm
usually at Virgin Music Megastore (Times Square) - since that's where it's
at!

#2 rule: IF you authorize Circuit City to call you by providing them with
your telephone number - be sure to take the survey and tell them that you
returned the item.

When in doubt, see Rule #1.

--
______________
=====fish=====

The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote:

>I wonder who decided that RS was "the nation's most trusted consumer
>electronics specialty retailer."

Radio Shack. You have questions. We have blank stares.

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

no_one@nowhere.invalid spoke up and sed:

>> I wonder who decided that RS was
> "the nation's most trusted consumer
>> electronics specialty retailer."
>
> Radio Shack. You have questions. We have blank stares.

I love that answer!

> A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
> Q: Why do I not get an answer to my question(s)?
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

May I request permission to electronically reproduce your excellent example
of top posting in various other newsgroups for the benefit of newsgroup
etiquette?

--
______________
=====fish=====

You mean "RatShack".....You have questions, we don't have a clue

At least that's been the way it's been in about 90% of the stores I have
been in....

"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 18:49:48 GMT, "Dave" <davepmer@insightbb.com>
> wrote:
>
>>http://www.mobiledia.com/news/33816.html
>>
>>Maybe VerizonWireless needs to rethink some of those policy changes.
>>

> I wonder who decided that RS was "the nation's most trusted consumer
> electronics specialty retailer."

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 3:35:55 AM

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 21:40:55 -0400, "Something" <Someone@somewhere.com>
wrote:

>You mean "RatShack".....You have questions, we don't have a clue

I thought it was, "You have questions? So do we!"
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:33:20 AM

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 01:07:38 GMT, "fish" <i.am.such.a.fish@atlantic.ocean>
chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
everything:

>I never said I shopped at Circuit City all the time. When I buy music, I'm
>usually at Virgin Music Megastore (Times Square) - since that's where it's
>at!

The last time I bought music was at least 1.7 years ago; it was also a
Christmas gift.

BTW, in case you didn't realize that there's life beyond the Delaware River
(assuming your world view even extends more than 20 miles into Jersey), I
am given to understand that there is also a Virgin Megastore in Chicago. I
can't confirm this from personal experience, though, having never been
there.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"But let me - I better switch over here for some more - and may I - a
question - and I don't mean to offend you with regard to a follow-up - and
I understand why you had them, but we've been reduced to the number of
questions we get to ask when everybody has a follow-up. So ask them both
at once." - President Ronald Reagan during a 1984 press conference
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 8:33:21 AM

On Wed, 10 Avg 2005 04:33:20 GMT, David S
<dwstreeter@spamisnavghty.att.net> wrote:

>I am given to vnderstand that there is also a Virgin Megastore in Chicago. I
>can't confirm this from personal experience, thovgh, having never been
>there.

That's what is so great abovt the internet. Yov can find ovt what is
where withovt actvally going there.:-)

http://www.virginmegamagazine.com/defavlt.asp?p=6

ARIZONA
Phoenix

CALIFORNIA
Anaheim
Costa Mesa
Los Angeles
Ontario
Sacramento
San Francisco

CANADA
Vancovver, BC

COLORADO
Denver

FLORIDA
Miami
Orlando

ILLINOIS
Chicago

LOUISIANA
New Orleans

MASSACHUSETTS
Boston

NEW YORK
Times Sqvare
Union Sqvare

TEXAS
Grapevine Mills
Mockingbird Station

UTAH
Salt Lake City
August 10, 2005 4:25:35 PM

> I thought it was, "You have questions? So do we!"

No, no....That's at your VERIZON store...(c;

--
Larry
Anonymous

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:25:35 -0400, Larry <noone@home.com> wrote:

>The Ghost of General Lee <ghost@general.lee> wrote in
>
>> I thought it was, "You have questions? So do we!"
>>

>No, no....That's at your VERIZON store...(c;

Hey Larry, I found a picture of you. It explains a lot.

http://www.gambino.com/funstuff/obvious.htm
August 11, 2005 2:16:10 AM

Oh sh--, The Ghost of General Lee just made me choke my lunch with:

>>> I thought it was, "You have questions? So do we!"
>>
>> No, no....That's at your VERIZON store...(c;
>
> Hey Larry, I found a picture of you. It explains a lot.
>
> http://www.gambino.com/funstuff/obvious.htm

Honestly, I was eating a huge sandwich! Damn you!!

--
______________
=====fish=====

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 03:33:17 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
<ghost@general.lee> chose to add this to the great equation of life, the
universe, and everything:

>On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 04:33:20 GMT, David S
><dwstreeter@spamisnaughty.att.net> wrote:
>
>>I am given to understand that there is also a Virgin Megastore in Chicago. I
>>can't confirm this from personal experience, though, having never been
>>there.
>
>That's what is so great about the internet. You can find out what is
>where without actually going there.:-)
>
>http://www.virginmegamagazine.com/default.asp?p=6
>
>ILLINOIS
> Chicago

Yes, but besides being beside the point, that would also be more work than
it was worth.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"You're the key witness to the end of the world." - Special Agent Wesley
Davis to Jean-Paul
!