Compaq Deskpro 4000 Video Problem

Someone donated a Compaq Deskpro 4000 to our church. I am the
unofficial tech volunteer trying to get it working. The video
appears to be out. We tried it with a known working monitor and
all we get is a blank screen. No video even though system appears
to power on and hard drive lights up. My guess is that the video
card is bad? I think it has a separate card for video. I have the
manual, but it it sketchy. This is a 166-233MHZ adjustable machine
desktop model. I would like to get this box working again. Is
there a definitive way to diagnose the problem or should I just
find a video card that will work? If it is a video card maybe I
can fix it. If it is the system board we will just take out the
drives and junk the rest. Going to Compaq for obvious expense
reason is not an option. Any helpful information is welcome.
Thanks.

"Ron Martin" <Ron_44_Martn_bounce@primenet.com> wrote in message
> Someone donated a Compaq Deskpro 4000 to our church. I am the
> unofficial tech volunteer trying to get it working. The video
> appears to be out. We tried it with a known working monitor and
> all we get is a blank screen. No video even though system appears
> to power on and hard drive lights up. My guess is that the video
> card is bad? I think it has a separate card for video. I have the
> manual, but it it sketchy. This is a 166-233MHZ adjustable machine
> desktop model. I would like to get this box working again. Is
> there a definitive way to diagnose the problem or should I just
> find a video card that will work? If it is a video card maybe I
> can fix it. If it is the system board we will just take out the
> drives and junk the rest. Going to Compaq for obvious expense
> reason is not an option. Any helpful information is welcome.
> Thanks.

Ron:

If the video card were the problem I would expect to hear the PC produce
something like "Beeeeep Beep Beep Beep" when it tried to boot. That
would indicate a failure to access/find a video device. If you get no
Beeps,
no video, but do have power, the problem could be processor, MB, or memory.
And let's not rule out a failing power supply.

I'd try:
Disconnecting all drives and cards other than the video card, to see how far
I get.
Checking any and all motherboard jumpers.
Using different memory, or if the current config has more than one pair,
one pair at a time.
Using a different video card.
Using a different processor.
Trying each of the components in another know-good system.

Good luck.

--
Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no space)[dot](no
space)[com]