Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Disappointing Conversation With Verizon

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 5:35:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Just came from the Verizon service Center in Bellingham, WA...

I am due to renew my contract and I asked if they were no longer going
to carry any "candy-bar" type tri mode phones and was told no. I was
also told that they are dropping analog service because their network
is going all digital. Also that they may carry a few tri-mode type
flip phones.

So I guess when you travel out of the digital network area (which is
a big part of Washington) there will be no cell service available.

Time to seek out a new carrier...


Pegleg
U.S. Navy Retired
Support Our Troops

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 1:35:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I think someone gave you a big of zealous maybe. Analog isn't going away in
the near term. Although yes, the new towers are focusing on being all
Digital. That's the plan... now if they could only do away with those
analog.... but they can't. Not yet.

There will be analog for quite a while. Last year most of the new phones
were all Digital; followed shortly by a wave of tri-mode. Yes the intention
is for an all digital network; but you can count on analog being around for
a while; and if there is no candy-bar phone today, be patient, there will be
one tomorrow. My opinion is that analog will be around till 2010 (swag) or
more. Wouldn't switch carriers because of what they said.

BUT: if your having problems with billing, bad coverage, and they change the
terms of the plans in mid-stream, or you think they are dishonest... those
are reasons to switch for sure. dr.
--
dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
used to)
If I can help: dr.news@better-price.biz.delete-the-obvious or thru this
notes forum.
home of the better priced phone and service:
http://free.better-price.biz

"Pegleg" <brian-s-jones@comcast.spam.net> wrote in message
news:bt1te158758h9tig9knlcotrfdnl1bgvr7@4ax.com...
> Just came from the Verizon service Center in Bellingham, WA...
>
> I am due to renew my contract and I asked if they were no longer going
> to carry any "candy-bar" type tri mode phones and was told no. I was
> also told that they are dropping analog service because their network
> is going all digital. Also that they may carry a few tri-mode type
> flip phones.
>
> So I guess when you travel out of the digital network area (which is
> a big part of Washington) there will be no cell service available.
>
> Time to seek out a new carrier...
>
>
> Pegleg
> U.S. Navy Retired
> Support Our Troops
>
> All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
> freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
> Sir Winston Churchill
August 2, 2005 1:54:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

ADios pal...You'll be back...Or you won't leave..


"Pegleg" <brian-s-jones@comcast.spam.net> wrote in message
news:bt1te158758h9tig9knlcotrfdnl1bgvr7@4ax.com...
> Just came from the Verizon service Center in Bellingham, WA...
>
> I am due to renew my contract and I asked if they were no longer going
> to carry any "candy-bar" type tri mode phones and was told no. I was
> also told that they are dropping analog service because their network
> is going all digital. Also that they may carry a few tri-mode type
> flip phones.
>
> So I guess when you travel out of the digital network area (which is
> a big part of Washington) there will be no cell service available.
>
> Time to seek out a new carrier...
>
>
> Pegleg
> U.S. Navy Retired
> Support Our Troops
>
> All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
> freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
> Sir Winston Churchill
August 2, 2005 10:50:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"St" <dd@notmenow.net> wrote in news:tnAHe.9030$_R1.7872@fe11.lga:

> also told that they are dropping analog service because their network
>> is going all digital.

Hmm...They must be giving up the 800 Mhz bands and going to PCS! FCC
REQUIRES them to provide AMPS service until a certain date, which keeps
getting pushed back.


--
Larry
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 11:17:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

True, they must support analog in the 800 Mhz bands until Feb. 18,
2008. But, you are going back to that wishful thinking/conjecture mode
of yours on analog when you say the end of the requirement "keeps
getting pushed back."

The original date set was Feb. 18, 2008, and it has not changed by one
day since it was set in Feb. of 2003. Discussions, yes. Changes, no.

Please support your assertion of this date being "pushed back."

I actually agree that it should be, certainly in rural areas, but
opinions of what should be do not necessarily equate to the facts of
what is.

If, in fact, there has been any change in the date, I'd like to hear
the facts.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 2:15:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

617 Phones wrote:

> Please support your assertion of this date being "pushed back."
>
> I actually agree that it should be, certainly in rural areas, but
> opinions of what should be do not necessarily equate to the facts of
> what is.

Ferchrissakes, guys, if Australia's telcos deployed CDMA in the Outback -
and I understand that they have, they use GSM in the cities and CDMA in the
rural areas - why in hell can't we deploy CDMA rurally here and have it work?

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek 888-480-4638 PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Company website: http://JustThe.net/
Personal blog, resume, portfolio: http://SteveSobol.com/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:42:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Pegleg wrote:
> Just came from the Verizon service Center in Bellingham, WA...
>
> I am due to renew my contract and I asked if they were no longer going
> to carry any "candy-bar" type tri mode phones and was told no. I was
> also told that they are dropping analog service because their network
> is going all digital. Also that they may carry a few tri-mode type
> flip phones.
>
> So I guess when you travel out of the digital network area (which is
> a big part of Washington) there will be no cell service available.
>
> Time to seek out a new carrier...
>
>
> Pegleg
> U.S. Navy Retired
> Support Our Troops
>
> All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
> freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
> Sir Winston Churchill

Acctually in WA State there are alot of places No covereage though
there is NO COVERAGE for anyone. You can go in and out of coverage but
this is mostly in the mountains. I know I broke down on a road that
very few people came on LOL
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 12:20:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Steve, that will be great when we are on track to get it (long range
CDMA) done. There has been minor testing in the U.S., but that's it.
The Australian development started over 6 years ago. It would certainly
be preferable to have solid CDMA coverage. When that is a reality, AMPS
won't be a personal concern for me. We are just not there, yet.

In response to Jerome's comment on the FCC getting "off its duff" and
setting the analog requirement sunset to 01 Jan 2006, that's not even a
possibility. The FCC has made it quite clear that while there has been
no extension of the analog requirement beyond Feb. 18, 2008, that is
the only direction they have considered, not moving it up earlier. This
is a rare area where the FCC is not just parroting the choices of the
industry, but has actually shown some level of concern for consumers.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:29:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

It looks like about half of the state is covered. There probably are
not many people living in the non covered areas.
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:35:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

What is "swag"? I don't think verizon's analog network will last much
longer than the end of any verizon contracts with customers living in a
verizon analog only area, and those areas are very few and small.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:36:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

From what I can determine, there are very few and very small areas of
the country where the wireless service is analog only. Therefore there
are very few people who need analog now. For the FCC to allow wireless
carriers to discontinue analog service where and when they want to as
soon as 01 Jan 2006, would have very little affect on consumers.
Such a rural system would drain the batteries faster, and using those
higher power phones in the city might disrupt the network.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:36:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 01:36:27 GMT, Jerome Zelinske
<jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:

> From what I can determine, there are very few and very small areas of
>the country where the wireless service is analog only. Therefore there
>are very few people who need analog now. For the FCC to allow wireless
>carriers to discontinue analog service where and when they want to as
>soon as 01 Jan 2006, would have very little affect on consumers.
> Such a rural system would drain the batteries faster, and using those
>higher power phones in the city might disrupt the network.

Boy are you out of touch...I'm not sure how you made your
"determination" but you might do some factual research.
There are numerous areas where analog is the only coverage...for
example take a look at Sprint's map.


Pegleg
U.S. Navy Retired
Support Our Troops

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:36:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Pegleg wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 01:36:27 GMT, Jerome Zelinske
> <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>
>> From what I can determine, there are very few and very small areas of
>>the country where the wireless service is analog only. Therefore there
>>are very few people who need analog now. For the FCC to allow wireless
>>carriers to discontinue analog service where and when they want to as
>>soon as 01 Jan 2006, would have very little affect on consumers.
>> Such a rural system would drain the batteries faster, and using those
>>higher power phones in the city might disrupt the network.
>
>
> Boy are you out of touch...I'm not sure how you made your
> "determination" but you might do some factual research.
> There are numerous areas where analog is the only coverage...for
> example take a look at Sprint's map.

Sprint's *own* coverage is 100% digital, and Verizon completed their
transition to 100% digital native coverage about 12-18 months ago. I am not
sure if you're referring to the carriers' own coverage, or the coverage
including their roaming partners.

I will say that Sprint is NOT a good example. They used to only do analog
roaming, and there are still some places - like where I live - where Sprint
COULD do digital roaming now, but still doesn't. Up north of Victorville on
US 66, Verizon has coverage but Sprint doesn't, but Sprint roams analog
on... not sure who. This is one of the areas where I believe Sprint users
used to be able to roam on Verizon and I *know* VZ users could roam on
Sprint where necessary, but neither carrier seems to like roaming agreements
with each other now... with the exception of places like Oklahoma, where
Sprint has service and Verizon doesn't, and Verizon roams on Sprint...

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek 888-480-4638 PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Company website: http://JustThe.net/
Personal blog, resume, portfolio: http://SteveSobol.com/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 6:51:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 01:36:27 GMT, Jerome Zelinske
<jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:
>From what I can determine, there are very few and very small areas of
>the country where the wireless service is analog only. Therefore there
>are very few people who need analog now.

What about all those people with the analog-only OnStar systems in their
cars?

>For the FCC to allow wireless
>carriers to discontinue analog service where and when they want to as
>soon as 01 Jan 2006, would have very little affect on consumers.
>Such a rural system would drain the batteries faster, and using those
>higher power phones in the city might disrupt the network.

--
Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."
Remove X's and dashes | -- Bill Gates, March 1980
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 6:51:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Bob Scheurle wrote:

> What about all those people with the analog-only OnStar systems in their
> cars?
You'd think OnStar would be converting them, and I know OnStar *is* doing
digital for new systems, but I don't know what their plans are for
converting the analog-only customers; I'm not an OnStar customer myself.



--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek 888-480-4638 PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Company website: http://JustThe.net/
Personal blog, resume, portfolio: http://SteveSobol.com/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 10:17:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

As viewed from alt.cellular.verizon, Pegleg wrote:

>Jerome Zelinske wrote:
>> From what I can determine, there are very few and very
>>small areas of the country where the wireless service is analog
>>only. Therefore there are very few people who need analog now.
>>For the FCC to allow wireless carriers to discontinue analog
>>service where and when they want to as soon as 01 Jan 2006,
>>would have very little affect on consumers.
>> Such a rural system would drain the batteries faster,
>>and using those higher power phones in the city might disrupt
>>the network.

>Boy are you out of touch...I'm not sure how you made your
>"determination" but you might do some factual research.
>There are numerous areas where analog is the only coverage...
>for example take a look at Sprint's map.

"Rural residents fight to keep analog cell phones"
www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/ptech/07/27/analog.cell.phones.ap...

--
Jafo
August 4, 2005 12:28:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in
news:D cs1ln$oo0$1@ratbert.glorb.com:

> You'd think OnStar would be converting them, and I know OnStar *is*
> doing digital for new systems, but I don't know what their plans are
> for converting the analog-only customers; I'm not an OnStar customer
> myself.
>
>
>

Onstar doesn't convert them because Onstar wants a mobile system that works
most everywhere...AMPS.

I'll give you another example. Digital phones don't "do crypto" very well.
The Presidential Limo is on Verizon AMPS because its extensive
cryptographic encoding/decoding works well on AMPS, like any other FM radio
system. The President is an AMPS customer!

--
Larry
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 12:28:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

As viewed from alt.cellular.verizon, Larry wrote:

>Steve Sobol wrote:
>>You'd think OnStar would be converting them, and I know OnStar
>>*is* doing digital for new systems, but I don't know what their
>>plans are for converting the analog-only customers; I'm not
>>an OnStar customer myself.

>Onstar doesn't convert them because Onstar wants a mobile system
>that works most everywhere...AMPS.

Which anyone with an old scanner can pick up. And regarding that
fact, here's some info passed along by a friend a couple of weeks
ago: "When a new owner presses the blue OnStar button they are
connected to an OnStar agent who proceeds to register the vehicle
and owner. The following information is asked for (among others):
Owner's name, home phone number, home address, work phone number,
credit card number, credit card expiration date, OnStar PIN (chosen
by owner), lost PIN question/answer, vehicle make/model/year, VIN."

--
Jafo
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 12:56:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Larry wrote:

> Onstar doesn't convert them because Onstar wants a mobile system that works
> most everywhere...AMPS.

Except it doesn't. The carriers have less and less analog capacity these
days as they are focusing on building out their digital networks. You'd be
lucky if you could make an AMPS call here in the Victor Valley on Verizon,
for example, even though they run AMPS here. Nine out of ten times you'll
get a fast-busy.

But I'm sure you have a legitimate source at OnStar to which you can
attribute your statement.


....Right?


(I'm not looking for speculation here, I'd prefer facts.)


--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek 888-480-4638 PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Company website: http://JustThe.net/
Personal blog, resume, portfolio: http://SteveSobol.com/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 2:49:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Larry wrote:
"It came off a webpage about 6 months ago talking about the Prez limo
on CNN, I think it was....maybe Fox. Couldn't find it, now."

How is it that you've been claiming this at least since October 31,
2003, and now the evidence is something that you saw on tv six months
ago?
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.cellular.verizon/msg...
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 4:43:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Looking at verizon's web site, their coverage maps show that very few
of their service areas are analog only and those areas are small.
As far as other major carriers go, Sprint PCS and tmobile do not have
any analog, cingular does not and has not in quite a while (years) sold
an analog phone or signed up any new analog customers, and all of their
network is overlaid with digital.
Perhaps more directly responding to your Sprint map comment, that map
shows where a Sprint PCS phone that is capable of roaming analog will
roam analog because either there is only analog there or there is both
analog and digital but Sprint PCS does not have a digital roaming
agreement.
All the other carriers are too small to matter, and some of them are
digital only.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 4:48:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I do not know much about onstar. My car is a '79.
August 4, 2005 5:11:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Jafo <a@nospam.invalid> wrote in
news:1a54f1t7elnhf2kqbn3q5h1tn3d9kiq531@4ax.com:

> Which anyone with an old scanner can pick up.

See where I said "crypto"? Duhh....Listen to your scanner. It sounds like
white noise on FM....Duhhh...

--
Larry
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:11:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Larry wrote:
> Jafo <a@nospam.invalid> wrote in
> news:1a54f1t7elnhf2kqbn3q5h1tn3d9kiq531@4ax.com:
>
>
>>Which anyone with an old scanner can pick up.
>
>
> See where I said "crypto"? Duhh....Listen to your scanner. It sounds like
> white noise on FM....Duhhh...

He was talking about OnStar. I doubt OnStar AMPS conversations are
encrypted, and they ask for credit card info...

How about a cite for your OnStar claim?

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek 888-480-4638 PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Company website: http://JustThe.net/
Personal blog, resume, portfolio: http://SteveSobol.com/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:48:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

The focus of that article is not on extending the date where wireless
companies can turn analog off, but extending the date by which a certain
percent of wireless customers have location capability.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 8:35:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Not that I doubt you (and I don't). but can you cite some sources for this
info? (and this kind of info)..

--
I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "



> I'll give you another example. Digital phones don't "do crypto" very
> well.
> The Presidential Limo is on Verizon AMPS because its extensive
> cryptographic encoding/decoding works well on AMPS, like any other FM
> radio
> system. The President is an AMPS customer!
August 4, 2005 8:35:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Remove This" <telcotech@verizon.net> wrote in
news:ytrIe.20175$QX2.4479@trndny01:

> Not that I doubt you (and I don't). but can you cite some sources for
> this
> info? (and this kind of info)..
>
>

It came off a webpage about 6 months ago talking about the Prez limo on
CNN, I think it was....maybe Fox. Couldn't find it, now. The handset
looked like Motorola, but who knows when spooks involved. I'm sure THAT
AMPS phone is quite secure...(c;

--
Larry
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 8:35:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Larry wrote:

>>Not that I doubt you (and I don't). but can you cite some sources for
>>this
>> info? (and this kind of info)..
>
> It came off a webpage about 6 months ago talking about the Prez limo on
> CNN, I think it was....maybe Fox. Couldn't find it, now. The handset
> looked like Motorola, but who knows when spooks involved. I'm sure THAT
> AMPS phone is quite secure...(c;

Me too. I was somewhat more interested in a citation for your OnStar claim.


--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek 888-480-4638 PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Company website: http://JustThe.net/
Personal blog, resume, portfolio: http://SteveSobol.com/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 12:00:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

617 Phones wrote:
> Larry wrote:
> "It came off a webpage about 6 months ago talking about
> the Prez limo on CNN, I think it was....maybe Fox.
> Couldn't find it, now."
>
> How is it that you've been claiming this at least since
> October 31, 2003, and now the evidence is something that
> you saw on tv six months ago?
>
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.cellular.verizon/msg...
en&

He couldn't find the cite back then because it was in the
future. :) . Do you suppose Larry might have left a long
time ago and this is simply a bot that cycles through a
data base of rants?

-Quick
August 5, 2005 12:40:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in
news:D ctlhg$v82$2@ratbert.glorb.com:

> How about a cite for your OnStar claim?
>

No claim at all. Why do YOU care? Onstar is on AMPS....period.

Amps works better where cars break down....IN THE COUNTRYSIDE....period

It's just bullshit to attack me....ask them....(c;

--
Larry
August 5, 2005 1:01:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Larry wrote:
> Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in
> news:D ctlhg$v82$2@ratbert.glorb.com:
>
>
>>How about a cite for your OnStar claim?
>>
>
>
> No claim at all. Why do YOU care? Onstar is on AMPS....period.
>
> Amps works better where cars break down....IN THE COUNTRYSIDE....period
>
> It's just bullshit to attack me....ask them....(c;
>

GM is planning this:

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/downloadable/en_FAQs.p...
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 1:40:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

It's called a "STU 3" or something like that.
It's been many years, so this might not be exact spelling,
but we used to program them for various DOD entities.
Actually, we programmed a regular old Moto phone, that
interfaced with the STU 3 rig. On all occasions, it was never
let out of a guard's sight. M16s with red tape on the clips...

Lot's of 'secret squirrel' sites here in the PNW with Trident
and carrier home ports, underwater warfare testing sites,
AFB and Army bases, etc. My crew and I saw all of them.

But yes Larry, they were good old Moto amps phones.



"Larry" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
news:Xns96A8876BE33DBnoone@63.223.7.253...

>
> It came off a webpage about 6 months ago talking about the Prez limo on
> CNN, I think it was....maybe Fox. Couldn't find it, now. The handset
> looked like Motorola, but who knows when spooks involved. I'm sure THAT
> AMPS phone is quite secure...(c;
>
> --
> Larry
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 1:58:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote
> From what I can determine, there are very few and very small areas of the
> country where the wireless service is analog only. Therefore there are
> very few people who need analog now. For the FCC to allow wireless
> carriers to discontinue analog service where and when they want to as soon
> as 01 Jan 2006, would have very little affect on consumers.

But they are a very vocal minority with, at the moment, considerable
politically influence based on their "red state" location. An extension,
which will ultimately be paid for by everyone, may well be on the horizon.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 2:15:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Bob Scheurle" <njtbob@X-verizon-X.net> wrote in message
news:9k03f1traclvefhskimsb1kkqsufqmgd0p@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 01:36:27 GMT, Jerome Zelinske
> <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>From what I can determine, there are very few and very small areas of
>>the country where the wireless service is analog only. Therefore there
>>are very few people who need analog now.
>
> What about all those people with the analog-only OnStar systems in their
> cars?

As if Buick, Cadillac and GM SUV owners would know the difference as they
wander down the highway.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 2:19:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Larry wrote:
> Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in
> news:D ctlhg$v82$2@ratbert.glorb.com:
>
>
>>How about a cite for your OnStar claim?
>>
>
>
> No claim at all. Why do YOU care? Onstar is on AMPS....period.

I just want you not to lie:

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/explore/onstar_bas...

In other words, Larry, I'm just calling you on your BS.

"All OnStar-equipped vehicles have one of three types of equipment, based on
wireless network technologies:

* Analog-only
Available on most 2003 model-year and earlier vehicles.
* Analog/Digital-Ready
Available on select 2003 and 2004 model-year GM vehicles, which have
been prepared for conversion to analog/digital (dual-mode) equipment when it
is offered
* Analog/Digital (Dual Mode)
Available on select 2004 and future OnStar-equipped GM vehicles"

Your turn. Let's see you backpedal on this, Larry, my quote comes from
OnStar's website.

>
> Amps works better where cars break down....IN THE COUNTRYSIDE....period
>
> It's just bullshit to attack me....ask them....(c;

Attack you? You're wrong. Up until 2003, yes, they were AMPS, period. No
longer.

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek 888-480-4638 PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Company website: http://JustThe.net/
Personal blog, resume, portfolio: http://SteveSobol.com/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 2:20:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Larry" <noone@home.com> wrote
> The Presidential Limo is on Verizon AMPS because its extensive
> cryptographic encoding/decoding works well on AMPS, like any other FM
> radio
> system. The President is an AMPS customer!

Who has a undisputable, documented track record of ignoring incoming
information which does not suit his agenda. Since he ignores incoming data,
AMPS certainly would be his choice for cellular service.
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 3:16:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 01:36:27 GMT, Jerome Zelinske <jeromez1@earthlink.net>
chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
everything:

> From what I can determine, there are very few and very small areas of
>the country where the wireless service is analog only. Therefore there
>are very few people who need analog now. For the FCC to allow wireless
>carriers to discontinue analog service where and when they want to as
>soon as 01 Jan 2006, would have very little affect on consumers.

There are three incompatible types of digital operating in the US (four if
you count Nextel's iDen) but there are many places where there is only one
type of digital available, so if you have a different type, you're still
SOL. Analog is a common denominator fallback in those places.

--
David Streeter, "an internet god" -- Dave Barry
http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
Remove the naughty bit from my address to reply
Expect a train on ANY track at ANY time.
"If I were Human, I believe my response would be 'Go to hell.' If I were
Human." - Spock, Star Trek VI
"Captain, I believe I speak for everyone here when I say... 'to hell with
our orders.'" - Data, Star Trek VIII
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 11:36:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 22:19:40 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:


>http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/explore/onstar_bas...
>
>In other words, Larry, I'm just calling you on your BS.

>Attack you? You're wrong. Up until 2003, yes, they were AMPS, period. No
>longer.

Nice to have you clear this up for the rest of us Steve...thanks!

Pegleg
U.S. Navy Retired
Support Our Troops

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 10:12:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

>> Up until 2003, yes, they were AMPS, period. No
>>longer.
>
> Nice to have you clear this up for the rest of us Steve...thanks!
>
Yes, Thank you Steve..

--
I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 10:12:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Remove This wrote:

> Yes, Thank you Steve..

You're welcome.

The silly thing is that while Larry would have been absolutely right two
years ago, it took only a quick visit to their website for me to determine
that he isn't now. I'm sure he didn't actually check the accuracy of his
statement. I'll be generous and assume that he wasn't *intentionally*
misleading us, and that he was just being lazy and not checking his facts.

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek 888-480-4638 PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Company website: http://JustThe.net/
Personal blog, resume, portfolio: http://SteveSobol.com/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 3:23:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Remove This wrote:
>
>> Yes, Thank you Steve..
>
> You're welcome.
>
> The silly thing is that while Larry would have been
> absolutely right two years ago, it took only a quick
> visit to their website for me to determine that he isn't
> now. I'm sure he didn't actually check the accuracy of
> his statement. I'll be generous and assume that he wasn't
> *intentionally* misleading us, and that he was just being
> lazy and not checking his facts.

When you get that far over the hill your reality just freezes
at some point in time while you continue to slide.

Lights are on but nobody is home... ('cause they're back there
somewhere).

-Quick
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 3:23:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Quick wrote:

> When you get that far over the hill your reality just freezes
> at some point in time while you continue to slide.

Depends on the individual.

Aside from Alzheimers, which several of my family members have suffered
from, some people do seem to end up having their mindset freeze at some
point in time. Other people seem to be able to maintain a certain amount of
open-mindedness. It varies greatly.

> Lights are on but nobody is home... ('cause they're back there
> somewhere).

In all fairness, that implies that Larry has some illness like Alzheimers or
dementia, and that is about as far as possible from the truth, from where I
sit. If that was the case, he wouldn't be able to communicate with us like
he does. He may sound like a broken record, but he's obviously capable of
communicating in an intelligent, coherent manner. I've never had any
problems understanding him... I just have problems agreeing with him. :) 

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek 888-480-4638 PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
Company website: http://JustThe.net/
Personal blog, resume, portfolio: http://SteveSobol.com/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 4:31:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Quick wrote:
>
>> When you get that far over the hill your reality just
>> freezes at some point in time while you continue to
>> slide.
>
> Depends on the individual.
>
> Aside from Alzheimers, which several of my family members
> have suffered from, some people do seem to end up having
> their mindset freeze at some point in time. Other people
> seem to be able to maintain a certain amount of
> open-mindedness. It varies greatly.
>
>> Lights are on but nobody is home... ('cause they're back
>> there somewhere).
>
> In all fairness, that implies that Larry has some illness
> like Alzheimers or dementia, and that is about as far as
> possible from the truth, from where I sit. If that was
> the case, he wouldn't be able to communicate with us like
> he does. He may sound like a broken record, but he's
> obviously capable of communicating in an intelligent,
> coherent manner. I've never had any problems
> understanding him... I just have problems agreeing with
> him. :) 

(in my very best Foghorn Leghorn) ...it was a joke son...
I also figure the probability of Larry being a Larry-Bot that
just randomly picks from a (limited) data base of rants is
less than 50%. Then again, how many times have we heard
how he made that dealer eat that lemon of a SkiDoo?

-Quick
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 1:02:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Bob Scheurle wrote:
>
>> What about all those people with the analog-only OnStar systems in their
>> cars?
>
> You'd think OnStar would be converting them, and I know OnStar *is*
> doing digital for new systems, but I don't know what their plans are for
> converting the analog-only customers; I'm not an OnStar customer myself.

OnStar is only converting certain "digital-ready" models of OnStar, and
those were only available starting in 2003 (and then only in certain
vehicle models). If your vehicle is a 2002 or older model and
analog-only, OnStar's position is that the units CANNOT be converted to
digital.

Starting in 2004 and beyond, some vehicles were equipped digital systems
that did not require an upgrade to work.

See:

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/downloadable/en_FAQs.p...

Further, even on the units that can be upgraded, the upgrade is free
ONLY if you purchase a non-refundable 3-year subscription in advance.
So, you should be certain you don't plan on doing away with the car
anytime soon.

I'm surprised OnStar has stuck with analog for so long. In the above
link, they blame it on vehicle product cycles, but digital has been
around for almost 8 years. Certainly OnStar could've adopted something
in time for a sooner launch.


--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
!