Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

I am thinking of building a new Athlon64 PC. I may have to wait a bit
because I haven't found an Athlon MB with PCI express bus yet. While I am
checking out some mid performance graphics cards, I notice they all have
built in fans. I want a PC as quiet as possible. What are my options? I
don't mind modifying the fan if needed as long as it's not involving. And
who is the best manufacturer using GeForce 6600 chip?

leo wrote:

> I am thinking of building a new Athlon64 PC. I may have to wait a bit
> because I haven't found an Athlon MB with PCI express bus yet. While I am
> checking out some mid performance graphics cards, I notice they all have
> built in fans. I want a PC as quiet as possible. What are my options? I
> don't mind modifying the fan if needed as long as it's not involving. And
> who is the best manufacturer using GeForce 6600 chip?

There won't be an Athlon board with PCI Express until the nvidia nforce 4
chipset gets to market.

If you want quiet with midrange (by current standards) or better video you
may have to go to water cooling. The Zalman and Arctic Cooling video-board
coolers are an improvement on the stock systems, but they need a fan of
some sort when used with chips in the 9800/5900 performance range and
better.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)