The repair guy told me Sygate Firewall was spyware

Status
Not open for further replies.

And it was the cause of all my troubles with my wife's PC. I've never heard
this before and I am VERY suspicious. (He also offered to sell me Norton's
firewall for $50). Neither Spybot or Ad-Aware recognize it as spyware, and
it is the Firewall included in V-com's System Suite 5. It's easy to set up
and easy to use, I am reluctant to write this product off without getting
some input from additional people with more experience than me. I hope that
is the readers of this post.

Before I write this guy off as a scam artist, is there any shred of evidence
that in any convoluted way could support his claim that Sygate is spyware?
I am hoping he is just an opinionated nut rather than a crook.

>And it was the cause of all my troubles with my wife's PC. I've never heard
>this before and I am VERY suspicious. (He also offered to sell me Norton's
>firewall for $50).

That's utter bullshit. Furthermore, I wouldn't let anything Symantec into the
same room as your computer, much less installed on it. If you have the option,
find another repair guy.
crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
http://lists.gpick.com

"JunkMonkey" <Jnkmonkey@notscape.not> wrote in

> And it was the cause of all my troubles with my wife's PC. I've never
> heard this before and I am VERY suspicious. (He also offered to sell
> me Norton's firewall for $50). Neither Spybot or Ad-Aware recognize
> it as spyware, and it is the Firewall included in V-com's System Suite
> 5. It's easy to set up and easy to use, I am reluctant to write this
> product off without getting some input from additional people with
> more experience than me. I hope that is the readers of this post.
>
> Before I write this guy off as a scam artist, is there any shred of
> evidence that in any convoluted way could support his claim that
> Sygate is spyware? I am hoping he is just an opinionated nut rather
> than a crook.

I got some swamp land in Mississippi for a real good price if you got the
time to listen. ;-)

Duane :)

In article <0kWNc.176907$%_6.48599@attbi_s01>, Jnkmonkey@notscape.not
says...
> And it was the cause of all my troubles with my wife's PC. I've never heard
> this before and I am VERY suspicious. (He also offered to sell me Norton's
> firewall for $50). Neither Spybot or Ad-Aware recognize it as spyware, and
> it is the Firewall included in V-com's System Suite 5. It's easy to set up
> and easy to use, I am reluctant to write this product off without getting
> some input from additional people with more experience than me. I hope that
> is the readers of this post.
>
> Before I write this guy off as a scam artist, is there any shred of evidence
> that in any convoluted way could support his claim that Sygate is spyware?
> I am hoping he is just an opinionated nut rather than a crook.

Write him off, in fact, shove him off the closest bridge :)

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

JunkMonkey wrote:
> And it was the cause of all my troubles with my wife's PC. I've never heard
> this before and I am VERY suspicious. (He also offered to sell me Norton's
> firewall for $50). Neither Spybot or Ad-Aware recognize it as spyware, and
> it is the Firewall included in V-com's System Suite 5. It's easy to set up
> and easy to use, I am reluctant to write this product off without getting
> some input from additional people with more experience than me. I hope that
> is the readers of this post.
>
> Before I write this guy off as a scam artist, is there any shred of evidence
> that in any convoluted way could support his claim that Sygate is spyware?
> I am hoping he is just an opinionated nut rather than a crook.

Are you asking if a standalone version of Sygate is spyware or are you
speaking of V-COM's firewall, which is built on the Sygate engine?

Sygate certainly is not spyware. And I've used V-COM products and have
not found them to contain spyware.

The repair guy is just trying to make a couple of bucks. Just ignore his
advice.

In article <10ggpj5lhpikob1@corp.supernews.com>, "\"Crash\" Dummy"
<dvader@deathstar.mil> says...
> >And it was the cause of all my troubles with my wife's PC. I've never heard
> >this before and I am VERY suspicious. (He also offered to sell me Norton's
> >firewall for $50).
>
> That's utter bullshit. Furthermore, I wouldn't let anything Symantec into the
> same room as your computer, much less installed on it. If you have the option,
> find another repair guy.

I agree with the Symantec comment as for Security (as NIS), but the
Norton Anti-Virus products (2004 and Corporate) are very nice and have
protected many people I personally know.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

casey

In article <0kWNc.176907$%_6.48599@attbi_s01>, Jnkmonkey@notscape.not says...
> And it was the cause of all my troubles with my wife's PC. I've never heard
> this before and I am VERY suspicious. (He also offered to sell me Norton's
> firewall for $50). Neither Spybot or Ad-Aware recognize it as spyware, and
> it is the Firewall included in V-com's System Suite 5. It's easy to set up
> and easy to use, I am reluctant to write this product off without getting
> some input from additional people with more experience than me. I hope that
> is the readers of this post.
>
> Before I write this guy off as a scam artist, is there any shred of evidence
> that in any convoluted way could support his claim that Sygate is spyware?
> I am hoping he is just an opinionated nut rather than a crook.

Your repair guy was giving you a $50 sales pitch.
My default firewall is Sygate 5.5. I also have Kerio 2.1.5 on my
hard drive and only run it occasionally (simultaneously) with
Sygate. The Kerio log shows Syate "calling home" only when I
manually update Sygate filter signatures.
If you have serious doubts about Sygate, install free Kerio and
monitor it.
Casey

Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote:

> I agree with the Symantec comment as for Security (as NIS), but the
> Norton Anti-Virus products (2004 and Corporate) are very nice and have
> protected many people I personally know.

I've used NAV before and wasn't too impressed - it used quite a bit
more ressources than for example McAfee. And I don't like the idea of a
virus scanner gripping control of Port 110...

BTW, anybody read the whitepapers of the new McAfee 8.0 that is coming
out in August? Seems like they're putting firewall, virusscanner and
"intrusion detection" into one basket, including something that claims
to be able to detect buffer overflow attempts against servers.

Juergen Nieveler
--
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

>I agree with the Symantec comment as for Security (as NIS), but the
>Norton Anti-Virus products (2004 and Corporate) are very nice and have
>protected many people I personally know.

Could be. With one exception, every Symantec thing I have tried is bloated,
intrusive, a resource glutton, and impossible to uninstall. Furthermore,
whenever they buy a good utility, they defang it, turn it into useless
bloatware, and generally screw it up (AtGuard, Norton Utilities, Quarterdeck
Cleansweep, to name a few). My heart sank when they bought Powerquest. I've
almost certainly seen my last good PartitionMagic.

The one exception I cited is SpeedDisk for NT, which I have installed as a
standalone utility. I don't think it is available as a separate utility anymore.
crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
http://lists.gpick.com

>There's a nice bridge here in London to go with the other one you have.

It's not in London anymore. Someone else bought it and moved it to Lake Havasu
City, in Arizona. :)
crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
http://lists.gpick.com

Guitarman

"JunkMonkey" <Jnkmonkey@notscape.not> wrote in message
> And it was the cause of all my troubles with my wife's PC. I've never
heard
> this before and I am VERY suspicious. (He also offered to sell me
Norton's
> firewall for $50). Neither Spybot or Ad-Aware recognize it as spyware,
and
> it is the Firewall included in V-com's System Suite 5. It's easy to set
up
> and easy to use, I am reluctant to write this product off without getting
> some input from additional people with more experience than me. I hope
that
> is the readers of this post.
>
> Before I write this guy off as a scam artist, is there any shred of
evidence
> that in any convoluted way could support his claim that Sygate is spyware?
> I am hoping he is just an opinionated nut rather than a crook.

kick him in the ass on the way out the door...

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hi,

He may be talking about Sygate Phoning home but it is not Spyware.
I tried Sygate and saw them in my NIS log and blocked them for piece of mind
But I'm sure they were for Updates to the program.
It's a good Firewall but I prefer a Rules based over an App Based.

Kevin

casey

In article <AjgOc.153133$OB3.81429@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, "!:?)" <"!:?)"@*.com>
says...
> Hi,
>
> He may be talking about Sygate Phoning home but it is not Spyware.
> I tried Sygate and saw them in my NIS log and blocked them for piece of mind
> But I'm sure they were for Updates to the program.
> It's a good Firewall but I prefer a Rules based over an App Based.
>
> Kevin

Hi Kenin. I'm not really up on my terminology but seems to me
that Sygate is something of a hybrid. You have the advanced rule
section where the parameters are addresses, protocols, ports, and
applications. Then you have the application section where each
application/service is given an allow, ask, or block. To be more
restrictive on the applications, you assign remote port numbers
to which each can connect (excluding all others).
Casey

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Hi Casy,

Casey wrote:

> Hi Kenin. I'm not really up on my terminology but seems to me
> that Sygate is something of a hybrid. You have the advanced rule
> section where the parameters are addresses, protocols, ports, and
> applications. Then you have the application section where each
> application/service is given an allow, ask, or block. To be more
> restrictive on the applications, you assign remote port numbers
> to which each can connect (excluding all others).
> Casey

Yes.
It is an App Based FW but it can do some Rules like a Rules based.
However it is not easy to make or manage them like in a regular Rules
based FW.
Still Sygate is a good App Based FW with some Port Rules.

Good luck.

Kevin