Closed

The repair guy told me Sygate Firewall was spyware

And it was the cause of all my troubles with my wife's PC. I've never heard
this before and I am VERY suspicious. (He also offered to sell me Norton's
firewall for $50). Neither Spybot or Ad-Aware recognize it as spyware, and
it is the Firewall included in V-com's System Suite 5. It's easy to set up
and easy to use, I am reluctant to write this product off without getting
some input from additional people with more experience than me. I hope that
is the readers of this post.

Before I write this guy off as a scam artist, is there any shred of evidence
that in any convoluted way could support his claim that Sygate is spyware?
I am hoping he is just an opinionated nut rather than a crook.
13 answers Last reply
More about repair told sygate firewall spyware

    >And it was the cause of all my troubles with my wife's PC. I've never heard
    >this before and I am VERY suspicious. (He also offered to sell me Norton's
    >firewall for $50).

    That's utter bullshit. Furthermore, I wouldn't let anything Symantec into the
    same room as your computer, much less installed on it. If you have the option,
    find another repair guy.
    crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    http://lists.gpick.com

    "JunkMonkey" <Jnkmonkey@notscape.not> wrote in

    > And it was the cause of all my troubles with my wife's PC. I've never
    > heard this before and I am VERY suspicious. (He also offered to sell
    > me Norton's firewall for $50). Neither Spybot or Ad-Aware recognize
    > it as spyware, and it is the Firewall included in V-com's System Suite
    > 5. It's easy to set up and easy to use, I am reluctant to write this
    > product off without getting some input from additional people with
    > more experience than me. I hope that is the readers of this post.
    >
    > Before I write this guy off as a scam artist, is there any shred of
    > evidence that in any convoluted way could support his claim that
    > Sygate is spyware? I am hoping he is just an opinionated nut rather
    > than a crook.

    I got some swamp land in Mississippi for a real good price if you got the
    time to listen. ;-)

    Duane :)

    In article <0kWNc.176907$%_6.48599@attbi_s01>, Jnkmonkey@notscape.not
    says...
    > And it was the cause of all my troubles with my wife's PC. I've never heard
    > this before and I am VERY suspicious. (He also offered to sell me Norton's
    > firewall for $50). Neither Spybot or Ad-Aware recognize it as spyware, and
    > it is the Firewall included in V-com's System Suite 5. It's easy to set up
    > and easy to use, I am reluctant to write this product off without getting
    > some input from additional people with more experience than me. I hope that
    > is the readers of this post.
    >
    > Before I write this guy off as a scam artist, is there any shred of evidence
    > that in any convoluted way could support his claim that Sygate is spyware?
    > I am hoping he is just an opinionated nut rather than a crook.

    Write him off, in fact, shove him off the closest bridge :)

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    JunkMonkey wrote:
    > And it was the cause of all my troubles with my wife's PC. I've never heard
    > this before and I am VERY suspicious. (He also offered to sell me Norton's
    > firewall for $50). Neither Spybot or Ad-Aware recognize it as spyware, and
    > it is the Firewall included in V-com's System Suite 5. It's easy to set up
    > and easy to use, I am reluctant to write this product off without getting
    > some input from additional people with more experience than me. I hope that
    > is the readers of this post.
    >
    > Before I write this guy off as a scam artist, is there any shred of evidence
    > that in any convoluted way could support his claim that Sygate is spyware?
    > I am hoping he is just an opinionated nut rather than a crook.

    Are you asking if a standalone version of Sygate is spyware or are you
    speaking of V-COM's firewall, which is built on the Sygate engine?

    Sygate certainly is not spyware. And I've used V-COM products and have
    not found them to contain spyware.

    The repair guy is just trying to make a couple of bucks. Just ignore his
    advice.

    In article <10ggpj5lhpikob1@corp.supernews.com>, "\"Crash\" Dummy"
    <dvader@deathstar.mil> says...
    > >And it was the cause of all my troubles with my wife's PC. I've never heard
    > >this before and I am VERY suspicious. (He also offered to sell me Norton's
    > >firewall for $50).
    >
    > That's utter bullshit. Furthermore, I wouldn't let anything Symantec into the
    > same room as your computer, much less installed on it. If you have the option,
    > find another repair guy.

    I agree with the Symantec comment as for Security (as NIS), but the
    Norton Anti-Virus products (2004 and Corporate) are very nice and have
    protected many people I personally know.

    spamfree999@rrohio.com
    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    In article <0kWNc.176907$%_6.48599@attbi_s01>, Jnkmonkey@notscape.not says...
    > And it was the cause of all my troubles with my wife's PC. I've never heard
    > this before and I am VERY suspicious. (He also offered to sell me Norton's
    > firewall for $50). Neither Spybot or Ad-Aware recognize it as spyware, and
    > it is the Firewall included in V-com's System Suite 5. It's easy to set up
    > and easy to use, I am reluctant to write this product off without getting
    > some input from additional people with more experience than me. I hope that
    > is the readers of this post.
    >
    > Before I write this guy off as a scam artist, is there any shred of evidence
    > that in any convoluted way could support his claim that Sygate is spyware?
    > I am hoping he is just an opinionated nut rather than a crook.

    Your repair guy was giving you a $50 sales pitch.
    My default firewall is Sygate 5.5. I also have Kerio 2.1.5 on my
    hard drive and only run it occasionally (simultaneously) with
    Sygate. The Kerio log shows Syate "calling home" only when I
    manually update Sygate filter signatures.
    If you have serious doubts about Sygate, install free Kerio and
    monitor it.
    Casey

    Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote:

    > I agree with the Symantec comment as for Security (as NIS), but the
    > Norton Anti-Virus products (2004 and Corporate) are very nice and have
    > protected many people I personally know.

    I've used NAV before and wasn't too impressed - it used quite a bit
    more ressources than for example McAfee. And I don't like the idea of a
    virus scanner gripping control of Port 110...

    BTW, anybody read the whitepapers of the new McAfee 8.0 that is coming
    out in August? Seems like they're putting firewall, virusscanner and
    "intrusion detection" into one basket, including something that claims
    to be able to detect buffer overflow attempts against servers.

    Juergen Nieveler
    --
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

    >I agree with the Symantec comment as for Security (as NIS), but the
    >Norton Anti-Virus products (2004 and Corporate) are very nice and have
    >protected many people I personally know.

    Could be. With one exception, every Symantec thing I have tried is bloated,
    intrusive, a resource glutton, and impossible to uninstall. Furthermore,
    whenever they buy a good utility, they defang it, turn it into useless
    bloatware, and generally screw it up (AtGuard, Norton Utilities, Quarterdeck
    Cleansweep, to name a few). My heart sank when they bought Powerquest. I've
    almost certainly seen my last good PartitionMagic.

    The one exception I cited is SpeedDisk for NT, which I have installed as a
    standalone utility. I don't think it is available as a separate utility anymore.
    crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    http://lists.gpick.com
  9. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    >There's a nice bridge here in London to go with the other one you have.

    It's not in London anymore. Someone else bought it and moved it to Lake Havasu
    City, in Arizona. :-)
    crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    http://lists.gpick.com
  10. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    "JunkMonkey" <Jnkmonkey@notscape.not> wrote in message
    > And it was the cause of all my troubles with my wife's PC. I've never
    heard
    > this before and I am VERY suspicious. (He also offered to sell me
    Norton's
    > firewall for $50). Neither Spybot or Ad-Aware recognize it as spyware,
    and
    > it is the Firewall included in V-com's System Suite 5. It's easy to set
    up
    > and easy to use, I am reluctant to write this product off without getting
    > some input from additional people with more experience than me. I hope
    that
    > is the readers of this post.
    >
    > Before I write this guy off as a scam artist, is there any shred of
    evidence
    > that in any convoluted way could support his claim that Sygate is spyware?
    > I am hoping he is just an opinionated nut rather than a crook.

    kick him in the ass on the way out the door...
  11. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Hi,

    He may be talking about Sygate Phoning home but it is not Spyware.
    I tried Sygate and saw them in my NIS log and blocked them for piece of mind
    But I'm sure they were for Updates to the program.
    It's a good Firewall but I prefer a Rules based over an App Based.

    Kevin
  12. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In article <AjgOc.153133$OB3.81429@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, "!:?)" <"!:?)"@*.com>
    says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > He may be talking about Sygate Phoning home but it is not Spyware.
    > I tried Sygate and saw them in my NIS log and blocked them for piece of mind
    > But I'm sure they were for Updates to the program.
    > It's a good Firewall but I prefer a Rules based over an App Based.
    >
    > Kevin

    Hi Kenin. I'm not really up on my terminology but seems to me
    that Sygate is something of a hybrid. You have the advanced rule
    section where the parameters are addresses, protocols, ports, and
    applications. Then you have the application section where each
    application/service is given an allow, ask, or block. To be more
    restrictive on the applications, you assign remote port numbers
    to which each can connect (excluding all others).
    Casey
  13. Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Hi Casy,

    Casey wrote:

    > Hi Kenin. I'm not really up on my terminology but seems to me
    > that Sygate is something of a hybrid. You have the advanced rule
    > section where the parameters are addresses, protocols, ports, and
    > applications. Then you have the application section where each
    > application/service is given an allow, ask, or block. To be more
    > restrictive on the applications, you assign remote port numbers
    > to which each can connect (excluding all others).
    > Casey

    Yes.
    It is an App Based FW but it can do some Rules like a Rules based.
    However it is not easy to make or manage them like in a regular Rules
    based FW.
    Still Sygate is a good App Based FW with some Port Rules.

    Good luck.

    Kevin

Firewalls Spyware Networking Product