Vertical lines on NEC monitor

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

Hi,

I have a 22" NEC FE2111SB monitor that seems to have recently
"sprouted" 7 faint vertical lines on the screen. They are most visible
on a white background and look similar to the usual 2 aperture grill
horizontal lines. Any clues as to what these vertical lines are?
6 answers Last reply
More about vertical lines monitor
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc oparr <oparr@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > Hi,

    > I have a 22" NEC FE2111SB monitor that seems to have recently
    > "sprouted" 7 faint vertical lines on the screen. They are most visible
    > on a white background and look similar to the usual 2 aperture grill
    > horizontal lines. Any clues as to what these vertical lines are?

    Sounds like a problem with the VGA card. Try on a different
    computer/VGA to verify. Might be a problem with some
    row/column amplifiers in the video-RAM.

    Arno
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    On 13 Nov 2004 10:13:12 -0800, oparr@hotmail.com (oparr) put finger to
    keyboard and composed:

    >I have a 22" NEC FE2111SB monitor that seems to have recently
    >"sprouted" 7 faint vertical lines on the screen. They are most visible
    >on a white background and look similar to the usual 2 aperture grill
    >horizontal lines. Any clues as to what these vertical lines are?

    There was a very similar question at sci.electronics.repair recently:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=Howfd.6958%24Ae.6584%40newsread1.dllstx09.us.to.verio.net&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dinsubject:Faint%2Binsubject:vertical%2Binsubject:streaks%2Binsubject:on%2Binsubject:new%2Binsubject:monitor%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26as_qdr%3Dm3%26selm%3DHowfd.6958%2524Ae.6584%2540newsread1.dllstx09.us.to.verio.net%26rnum%3D1

    The OP had a SiS 6326 graphics card and a Samsung Syncmaster 793s 17"
    monitor.

    - Franc Zabkar
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    Lines are there when connected to four different computers so it's not any
    particular video card. It's the monitor. Also, a Google search indicated a
    similar condition with another NEC monitor;

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=nec+%22vertical+lines%22&hl=en&lr=&scoring=d&selm=53e2ec95.0407181009.50219df5%40posting.google.com&rnum=7

    Wondering whether it was a NEC thing or the monitor is just defective.
    Leaning towards the latter.

    "Franc Zabkar" <fzabkar@optussnet.com.au> wrote in message
    > On 13 Nov 2004 10:13:12 -0800, oparr@hotmail.com (oparr) put finger to
    > keyboard and composed:
    >
    >>I have a 22" NEC FE2111SB monitor that seems to have recently
    >>"sprouted" 7 faint vertical lines on the screen. They are most visible
    >>on a white background and look similar to the usual 2 aperture grill
    >>horizontal lines. Any clues as to what these vertical lines are?
    >
    > There was a very similar question at sci.electronics.repair recently:
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=Howfd.6958%24Ae.6584%40newsread1.dllstx09.us.to.verio.net&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dinsubject:Faint%2Binsubject:vertical%2Binsubject:streaks%2Binsubject:on%2Binsubject:new%2Binsubject:monitor%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26as_qdr%3Dm3%26selm%3DHowfd.6958%2524Ae.6584%2540newsread1.dllstx09.us.to.verio.net%26rnum%3D1
    >
    > The OP had a SiS 6326 graphics card and a Samsung Syncmaster 793s 17"
    > monitor.
    >

    > - Franc Zabkar
    > --
    > Please remove one 's' from my address when replying by email.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc oparr <oparr@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > Lines are there when connected to four different computers so it's not any
    > particular video card. It's the monitor. Also, a Google search indicated a
    > similar condition with another NEC monitor;

    > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=nec+%22vertical+lines%22&hl=en&lr=&scoring=d&selm=53e2ec95.0407181009.50219df5%40posting.google.com&rnum=7

    > Wondering whether it was a NEC thing or the monitor is just defective.
    > Leaning towards the latter.

    I tend to agree. Pretty strange effect. Maybe a mechanical thing with
    the mask?

    Arno
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    On 14 Nov 2004 18:31:21 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> put finger
    to keyboard and composed:

    >In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc oparr <oparr@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> Lines are there when connected to four different computers so it's not any
    >> particular video card. It's the monitor. Also, a Google search indicated a
    >> similar condition with another NEC monitor;
    >
    >> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=nec+%22vertical+lines%22&hl=en&lr=&scoring=d&selm=53e2ec95.0407181009.50219df5%40posting.google.com&rnum=7
    >
    >> Wondering whether it was a NEC thing or the monitor is just defective.
    >> Leaning towards the latter.
    >
    >I tend to agree. Pretty strange effect. Maybe a mechanical thing with
    >the mask?
    >
    >Arno

    You could smack the face of the CRT and check whether the lines
    vibrate.

    - Franc Zabkar
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    > On 14 Nov 2004 18:31:21 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> put finger
    > to keyboard and composed:
    >
    >>In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc oparr <oparr@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>> Lines are there when connected to four different computers so it's not
    >>> any
    >>> particular video card. It's the monitor. Also, a Google search indicated
    >>> similar condition with another NEC monitor;
    >>
    >>> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=nec+%22vertical+lines%22&hl=en&lr=&scoring=d&selm=53e2ec95.0407181009.50219df5%40posting.google.com&rnum=7
    >>
    >>> Wondering whether it was a NEC thing or the monitor is just defective.
    >>> Leaning towards the latter.

    Could be "yoke ringing", in which case a "tuning capacitor" on the
    deflection yoke
    my have failed, if it appeared recently. Ringing lines should look a bit
    like waves, or
    at least not narrow lines - original poster did not indicate whether they
    are somewhat
    wide, or maybe quite narrow (pixel size?). ringing is also typically mostly
    on the left
    side of the screen.
    If so, what to do? Try asking NEC if they have a known problem, and how
    they
    satisfy their valuable customers who do see such problems.

    HTH,
    NGA

Graphics Cards Hardware Monitors NEC IBM Graphics