"lcd monitor" vs. "lcd/tv monitor"

Hi,

I'm interested in buying a lcd monitor for my new PC. I'd like to be
able to watch TV while on the net. (That'll be easy enough, as I've
got a cable connection to by PC.)

I'm confused by the difference between "lcd monitors" and "lcd/tv
monitors". What is the difference? Does one offer a difference
resolution (better picture) then the other?

(My guess: The monitors advertised as "lcd/tv monitors" have a TV
tuner built in. While the "lcd monitor" doesn't. I'm going to be
getting the TV signal via the video card in my PC anyways, so I don't
need a TV tuner in the monitor. How'd I do?)

Thanks,
Dave
4 answers Last reply
More about monitor monitor

    syrdave wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm interested in buying a lcd monitor for my new PC. I'd like to be
    > able to watch TV while on the net. (That'll be easy enough, as I've
    > got a cable connection to by PC.)
    >
    > I'm confused by the difference between "lcd monitors" and "lcd/tv
    > monitors". What is the difference? Does one offer a difference
    > resolution (better picture) then the other?
    >
    > (My guess: The monitors advertised as "lcd/tv monitors" have a TV
    > tuner built in. While the "lcd monitor" doesn't. I'm going to be
    > getting the TV signal via the video card in my PC anyways, so I don't
    > need a TV tuner in the monitor. How'd I do?)

    Read the specs on the monitor. Some have a tuner. Others are made for HDTV
    resolutions. Others have both.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    "syrdave" <Prowak@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > I'm confused by the difference between "lcd monitors" and "lcd/tv
    > monitors". What is the difference? Does one offer a difference
    > resolution (better picture) then the other?

    There are various possible differences, depending on
    the manufacturer and model. A unit advertised as a
    "TV/monitor" (also sometimes referred to as a "multi-
    function monitor" or "MFM") might have different inputs in
    addition to the usual VGA and/or DVI (such as S-Video,
    HDMI, composite video, etc.) or it may even provide an RF
    input with a tuner. It might also offer different color and
    other default settings when in "TV mode." Unless it's
    built around a panel specifically made for TV application
    (and it's hard for the average customer to tell, unless it's
    clearly a TV-specific format such as 1920 x 1080 or
    1280 x 720, etc.), it may or may not provide different
    "front-of-screen" performance than a straight "monitor"
    built using the same panel. Check the specs, and of course
    if at all possible test it yourself with both sorts of inputs
    before you buy.

    Bob M.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    "syrdave" <Prowak@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm interested in buying a lcd monitor for my new PC. I'd like to be
    > able to watch TV while on the net. (That'll be easy enough, as I've
    > got a cable connection to by PC.)
    >
    > I'm confused by the difference between "lcd monitors" and "lcd/tv
    > monitors". What is the difference? Does one offer a difference
    > resolution (better picture) then the other?
    >
    > (My guess: The monitors advertised as "lcd/tv monitors" have a TV
    > tuner built in. While the "lcd monitor" doesn't. I'm going to be
    > getting the TV signal via the video card in my PC anyways, so I don't
    > need a TV tuner in the monitor. How'd I do?)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave

    Dave,

    You did good! You will have a lot more flexibility using a video card that
    has TV input.

    Thanks,
    Jeff P
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    "syrdave" <Prowak@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm interested in buying a lcd monitor for my new PC. I'd like to be
    > able to watch TV while on the net. (That'll be easy enough, as I've
    > got a cable connection to by PC.)
    >
    > I'm confused by the difference between "lcd monitors" and "lcd/tv
    > monitors". What is the difference? Does one offer a difference
    > resolution (better picture) then the other?
    >
    > (My guess: The monitors advertised as "lcd/tv monitors" have a TV
    > tuner built in. While the "lcd monitor" doesn't. I'm going to be
    > getting the TV signal via the video card in my PC anyways, so I don't
    > need a TV tuner in the monitor. How'd I do?)
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Dave

    In addition to the various possibilities mentioned by others, TV/monitors
    may well have a lot more light output - more backlights. The contrast ratio
    may not be different, but the peak luminance may be much higher. It is not
    a feature that is necessarily needed for TV watching, but is probably a
    carryover from the peak luminance of CRT TVs.
    TVs typically try to maintain enough peak luminance to enable a
    "reasonable"
    contrast ratio when viewed in high ambient lighting - like bright sunlight
    streaming into a window. PC applications tend to consider that the user will
    typically control the lighting situation. Of course, the decision is up to
    you.

    NGA

Graphics Cards TV LCD LCD Monitor Monitors Graphics