Dual, Different-sized monitors in Win2000?

Hi all,
recently moved my Compaq P4 with ATI Radeon 7500 dual-analog out from
win 98SE to Win2000 pro, only to discover that I can't set different screen
resolutions on the monitors? I'm using a 17" and a 21" CRT, and in '98 I
could set the 17" to 1280 x 1024 and the 21" to 1600 x 1200, and dragging a
window between the two was smooth, with the dragged window staying the same
physical size. In 2000, I can only set the two to the same resolution, which
means windows are the same number of pixels - and looks cack, with the
window changing size by about 30% as it drags between screens. :eek:(
Does anyone have any experience of doing this in W2000 pro, and is there
a way to ge my nice displays back? I'd really like to, I use the PC for
music composition and I liked being able to run a score across 2 windows and
have it line up - there doesn't seem to be a way to set the alignment
between monitors (e.g. the height of one relative to the other) either :'o(

I've looked in the W2000 help files - chocolate teapot time

Any help very gratefully received!

Dave H.
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

Dave H. wrote:

> Hi all,
> recently moved my Compaq P4 with ATI Radeon 7500 dual-analog out from
> win 98SE to Win2000 pro, only to discover that I can't set different
> screen resolutions on the monitors? I'm using a 17" and a 21" CRT, and in
> '98 I could set the 17" to 1280 x 1024 and the 21" to 1600 x 1200, and
> dragging a window between the two was smooth, with the dragged window
> staying the same physical size. In 2000, I can only set the two to the
> same resolution, which means windows are the same number of pixels - and
> looks cack, with the window changing size by about 30% as it drags between
> screens. :eek:(
> Does anyone have any experience of doing this in W2000 pro, and is
> there
> a way to ge my nice displays back? I'd really like to, I use the PC for
> music composition and I liked being able to run a score across 2 windows
> and have it line up - there doesn't seem to be a way to set the alignment
> between monitors (e.g. the height of one relative to the other) either
> :'o(
>
> I've looked in the W2000 help files - chocolate teapot time
>
> Any help very gratefully received!

In Win2K this is a driver issue. The Matrox drivers allow it, some of those
for other brands of board do not. If you don't need the latest and
greatest 3D support then you might want to consider replacing the Radeon
with a Matrox.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

ME

"Dave H." <hopefuldave_doesnt_like_spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
> recently moved my Compaq P4 with ATI Radeon 7500 dual-analog out from
>win 98SE to Win2000 pro, only to discover that I can't set different screen
>resolutions on the monitors? I'm using a 17" and a 21" CRT, and in '98 I
>could set the 17" to 1280 x 1024 and the 21" to 1600 x 1200, and dragging a
>window between the two was smooth, with the dragged window staying the same
>physical size. In 2000, I can only set the two to the same resolution, which
>means windows are the same number of pixels - and looks cack, with the
>window changing size by about 30% as it drags between screens. :eek:(
> Does anyone have any experience of doing this in W2000 pro, and is there
>a way to ge my nice displays back? I'd really like to, I use the PC for
>music composition and I liked being able to run a score across 2 windows and
>have it line up - there doesn't seem to be a way to set the alignment
>between monitors (e.g. the height of one relative to the other) either :'o(
>
>I've looked in the W2000 help files - chocolate teapot time
>
>Any help very gratefully received!
>
>Dave H.
>(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

It was the case that only Matrox could do the dual screen on W2k. I tried a
variety of things with a Radeon 7500 and got dual screen in 98 and XP but
never succeded in W2K.

For all sorts of things dual screen related have a look at:
http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/

Hope this helps

Andy

Andy@nospam.co.uk wrote:

> "Dave H." <hopefuldave_doesnt_like_spam@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>> recently moved my Compaq P4 with ATI Radeon 7500 dual-analog out from
>>win 98SE to Win2000 pro, only to discover that I can't set different
>>screen resolutions on the monitors? I'm using a 17" and a 21" CRT, and in
>>'98 I could set the 17" to 1280 x 1024 and the 21" to 1600 x 1200, and
>>dragging a window between the two was smooth, with the dragged window
>>staying the same physical size. In 2000, I can only set the two to the
>>same resolution, which means windows are the same number of pixels - and
>>looks cack, with the window changing size by about 30% as it drags between
>>screens. :eek:(
>> Does anyone have any experience of doing this in W2000 pro, and is
>> there
>>a way to ge my nice displays back? I'd really like to, I use the PC for
>>music composition and I liked being able to run a score across 2 windows
>>and have it line up - there doesn't seem to be a way to set the alignment
>>between monitors (e.g. the height of one relative to the other) either
>>:'o(
>>
>>I've looked in the W2000 help files - chocolate teapot time
>>
>>Any help very gratefully received!
>>
>>Dave H.
>>(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)
>>

> It was the case that only Matrox could do the dual screen on W2k. I tried
> a variety of things with a Radeon 7500 and got dual screen in 98 and XP
> but never succeded in W2K.

Just install the latest drivers and Hydravision.