Thinking about Sceptre x20g

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware (More info?)

Seem to have found a pretty good price for it:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10042639

One thing I am hesistant about, though, is the fact that I only have a VGA
output for my current machine. It's a notebook, so I can't just buy a new
video card.

How is this going to affect video quality? Right now I have a 19" Daewoo
CRT, but the image is really muddy at 1600x1200. I really would like to
move to a crystal clear LCD, but I have heard that even an LCD will look
muddy if you use a VGA cable.

Thoughts?

Cyrus

Please first check your notebook graphic card Modes and Resolutions that
support 1600 X 1200 Rates.
Othervise any monitor you purchase the screen is not going to be crystal
clear.

Cyrus

My notebooks supports 1600x1200 @ 75Hz ... fast enough?

"Cyrus" <CyrusM@fox.net> wrote in message
> Please first check your notebook graphic card Modes and Resolutions that
> support 1600 X 1200 Rates.
> Othervise any monitor you purchase the screen is not going to be crystal
> clear.
>
> Cyrus
> "Joshua Beall" <jbeall@donotspam.remove.me.heraldic.us> wrote in message
>> Seem to have found a pretty good price for it:
>> http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=10042639
>>
>> One thing I am hesistant about, though, is the fact that I only have a
>> VGA output for my current machine. It's a notebook, so I can't just buy
>> a new video card.
>>
>> How is this going to affect video quality? Right now I have a 19" Daewoo
>> CRT, but the image is really muddy at 1600x1200. I really would like to
>> move to a crystal clear LCD, but I have heard that even an LCD will look
>> muddy if you use a VGA cable.
>>
>> Thoughts?

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 23:47:36 GMT, "Joshua Beall"
<jbeall@donotspam.remove.me.heraldic.us> wrote:

>>> How is this going to affect video quality? Right now I have a 19" Daewoo
>>> CRT, but the image is really muddy at 1600x1200. I really would like to
>>> move to a crystal clear LCD, but I have heard that even an LCD will look
>>> muddy if you use a VGA cable.

>My notebooks supports 1600x1200 @ 75Hz ... fast enough?

Refresh rate doesn't matter with LCD monitors, so 60 Hz is fast
enough. You will need to run the monitor at it's "native" resolution
for decent results, which is 1600x1200 in this case.

As a generalization, DVI input will give sharper results than regular
analog VGA, especially at higher resolutions. However, this will vary
from model to model. Some monitors will have VGA display quality that
is just as good as DVI where others will look fuzzy. Some will look
fuzzy regardless of whether DVI or VGA input is used. I personally
would want to look at the display quality (connected directly to a
computer rather than a distribution amp) before buying, especially
when dealing with a discount brand like Sceptre. At the very least, be
sure you can return it for a refund if you are displeased with the
results.

Also, the VGA output from notebook systems is sometimes pretty poor
quality, especially at higher resolutions. My ThinkPad T21 has poor
quality output at any resolution above 1024x768. Once again, the only
way to know is to try it.
- -
Gary L.
Reply to the newsgroup only