TV only on a Matrox G550

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Hi all,

I'm trying to boot Win98 with a G550 & TV only. This is an extra computer
which will play games and some mp3s only.

Everything works great with a regular monitor plugged in with the tv as a
secondary monitor. Two desktops, etc.

When the composite out is the only cable connected, I can't ever get
anything except a black screen with a few flashes on boot. I'm using the
supplied VGA to composite cable supplied with the card.

Tried both ports, and the clone display feature.

I downloaded the Matrox docs again and it always shows the TV as a second
monitor. The Matrox boards are down today also.

I used to have a Powercolor TNT2 w/composite out that worked great. Too
bad it's gone!
If I can't do TV only with this card, will a Gigabyte Radeon 7000 with s-
video and a s-video to composite adapter work?

Thanks much in advance!
Dave

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Dave <none@spam.com> wrote in

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to boot Win98 with a G550 & TV only. This is an extra
> computer which will play games and some mp3s only.
>
> Everything works great with a regular monitor plugged in with the tv
> as a secondary monitor. Two desktops, etc.
>
> When the composite out is the only cable connected, I can't ever get
> anything except a black screen with a few flashes on boot. I'm using
> the supplied VGA to composite cable supplied with the card.
>
> Tried both ports, and the clone display feature.
>
> I downloaded the Matrox docs again and it always shows the TV as a
> second monitor. The Matrox boards are down today also.
>
> I used to have a Powercolor TNT2 w/composite out that worked great.
> Too bad it's gone!
> - If I can't do TV only with this card, will a Gigabyte Radeon 7000
> with s- video and a s-video to composite adapter work?
>
> Thanks much in advance!
> Dave

I found the answer by doing some research and buying another card. It
works much better (faster) with good drivers than my TNT2!

The Matrox forums has been down for some time (2 days), hopefully I won't
have to go there for answers again.

> Dave <none@spam.com> wrote:

> They used to be top of the line in service/hardware.

And they still make very stable cards if you don't need the
latest in 3D performance (and I don't).

They seem to have carved out a niche for themselves in
specialty graphics, but I wouldn't bet against you on ...

> I don't expect to see the Matrox name
> around in the next 2 years..

I find it interesting (in an ominous way) that they
seem to have done nothing about PCI Express. And PCIe
allows anyone to wade into what was previously the
Matrox main turf (multi-display).

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

Bob Niland <email4rjn@yahoo.com> wrote in

> I find it interesting (in an ominous way) that they
> seem to have done nothing about PCI Express. And PCIe
> allows anyone to wade into what was previously the
> Matrox main turf (multi-display).

We'll see how Dell/HP/MS feels about them in the next couple years. To
tell the truth, I haven't heard of Matrox for a while, even working as an
engineering technician with some CAD experience. If I hadn't owned one
previously, I doubt I would have know they were still in business.

ME

Dave <none@spam.com> wrote:

>Bob Niland <email4rjn@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> I find it interesting (in an ominous way) that they
>> seem to have done nothing about PCI Express. And PCIe
>> allows anyone to wade into what was previously the
>> Matrox main turf (multi-display).
>
>We'll see how Dell/HP/MS feels about them in the next couple years. To
>tell the truth, I haven't heard of Matrox for a while, even working as an
>engineering technician with some CAD experience. If I hadn't owned one
>previously, I doubt I would have know they were still in business.

I have used Matrox from the original Millennium and have at the moment a
dual display on a P650. I do love the stability of their drivers but when I
see my Laptop with a Radeon 9600 running multi display with no problems at
all I wonder why I spent so much money on the Matrox.

No idea when I will upgrade next (I use my kids PCs for Games) but I would
not place money on it being another Matrox especially with the new PCIe
slots.

Andy

Andy@nospam.co.uk wrote:

> Dave <none@spam.com> wrote:
>
>>Bob Niland <email4rjn@yahoo.com> wrote in
>>
>>> I find it interesting (in an ominous way) that they
>>> seem to have done nothing about PCI Express. And PCIe
>>> allows anyone to wade into what was previously the
>>> Matrox main turf (multi-display).
>>
>>We'll see how Dell/HP/MS feels about them in the next couple years. To
>>tell the truth, I haven't heard of Matrox for a while, even working as an
>>engineering technician with some CAD experience. If I hadn't owned one
>>previously, I doubt I would have know they were still in business.
>
> I have used Matrox from the original Millennium and have at the moment a
> dual display on a P650. I do love the stability of their drivers but when
> I see my Laptop with a Radeon 9600 running multi display with no problems
> at all I wonder why I spent so much money on the Matrox.
>
> No idea when I will upgrade next (I use my kids PCs for Games) but I would
> not place money on it being another Matrox especially with the new PCIe
> slots.

They seem to be focussing on their pro video editing systems, not on desktop
display adapters.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

ME

"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>> not place money on it being another Matrox especially with the new PCIe
>> slots.
>
>They seem to be focussing on their pro video editing systems, not on desktop
>display adapters.
>>
>> Andy

True, and they seem to be top of the heap there at the moment, (not my
field I have to say) but there again when the G400MAX came out Matrox were
top of the heap in the Graphics Card market.

To stay on top they will have to work hard.

Andy

>> I don't expect to see the Matrox name
>> around in the next 2 years..

> I find it interesting (in an ominous way) that they
> seem to have done nothing about PCI Express. And PCIe
> allows anyone to wade into what was previously the
> Matrox main turf (multi-display).

In fairness to Matrox, it appears that they saw my
remarks from last month, and decided to make a liar of me :)

Their first PCE card was just announced yesterday:
<http://www.matrox.com/mga/workstation/video/news/press_rel/2004/parhelia_apv_e.cfm>