id Considering Quake Reboot, Going Back to Roots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think rather than rehashing the old, you should make something that is not a doom clone. Something less linear, more open, more interesting. Give us something new. I have not been happy with a quake/doom game since quake III Arena.

G

All my hardware updates are around the ID software games. When I bought Doom 3, I didn't even have a computer. After one year I had finally built one and played the game in one night. Pretty much the only games I played are FPS shooters by ID software. Keep up the good work ID Team! You guys are like rock stars to me. :)

cuecuemore

Distinguished
Quake reboot would be awesome IMO-- the same "story", (did Quake have one??) with a little more explanation of what's going on. You know, maybe with some people radioing from HQ once in a while.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I really liked the Quake 2/4 Strogg story. Hope they will build on that.

[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]I think rather than rehashing the old, you should make something that is not a doom clone. Something less linear, more open, more interesting. Give us something new. I have not been happy with a quake/doom game since quake III Arena.[/citation]

I'm sick of company's trying to come out with something "fresh" and ending up with garbage like C&C4. If it a'int broke', don't fix it.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Quake 3 was the best ever (Quake 1 and 2 were pretty cool, too). Quake 4 was useless - graphics only slightly better than Call of Duty 1 and sucking much more GPU resources. And the gameplay was useless, IMO.

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
I think studios are too focused on the gems of the past. We need to develop new and fresh ideas to create new gems, instead of polishing and re-releasing old ones.

I loved quake 1...
It was more gothic and all around evil.

Part 2 kinda killed it will all of the space invaders

I want gothic, evil, satanic, zombie monsters! Not some stupid cyborgs from space...

Also... The original Teamfortress for quake 1 was one of the greatest mods of all time. (Just thought I'd put that out there.)

I liked Quake4... It had unique gimmicks that were nice at the time, but looked horribad on my X1800; Bad ID for not doing a proper job on ATI XD!

Anyway, a "back to the roots" Quake is actually a very attractive lure for me; I devoured Quake 1 (never got the 20-ish min full run though, lol) and it was a blast. Spooky also xD

Come on ID, doing a new Doom title is also a must!

Cheers!

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
and something no one else has mentioned and that iD should def do -> Have NIN do the soundtrack again, so dark and eerie, i remember taking out the game from my PC and putting in my CD player and listening to it, just plain old epicness

kj3639

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I've always found the Lovecraftian theme surrounding Quake 1 fascinating. The game was so dark and immersive, especially with the Trent Reznor soundtrack. Quake 1 has always been my favorite of the Quake series, the other quakes were too unoriginal and cliche with the whole sci-fi alien space fight theme. If id starts development they could take the series in crazy new creative directions. John Romero originally envisioned it as a melee RPG fest, who knows where the series could go.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Very fond memories of Quake. I had just moved out of the family home the year before. I had bought my first personal PC (used dads before that) with a P150,32MB ram,2.1GB HDD, Matrox Mystique 4MB. Saw that this game Quake was really popular and decided to buy it. Loved it, played Doom etc. when they came out but Quake really was superb. The sound of the zombies and the grenades clunking on the floor...brilliant. Trying all the resolutions to see which worked best. Was a great time in PC gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS