Optimizing and Overclocking Intel Extreme Graphics 2 on No..

Hey look, I know this integrated chipset is not for gaming. Don't
even bother flaming me for attempting to max it out.

Unlike a lot of those guys who spend 2k on a machine, I got a bargain
laptop (HP Pavillion ze4900). Can you blame me for wanting to make
the best of what I've got? Good... I thought not. In fact, I find
it perversely satisfying to make a slow computer perform better than
it was intended.

So, how can I max out my Intel Extreme Graphics 2 onboard video? My
first step, of course, is to order more ram, since this silly puppy is
"integrated", meaning it steals from my normal ram to feed the video
memory. Of which I only have 256 MB of DDR @ 266mhz. I understand
that this chipset prefers 333mhz ram... does anyone know how badly
I'll be affected by that?

Does anybody have any experience overclocking this thing? Are there
any specialized drivers for it out there? Is there any good software
that will let me keep on eye on what its doing?

Please Post Replies
1 answer Last reply
More about optimizing overclocking intel extreme graphics

    "Dubs" <dubspam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hey look, I know this integrated chipset is not for gaming. Don't
    > even bother flaming me for attempting to max it out.

    Well, gosh! Something about a silk purse and a sow's ear comes to mind! But
    I certainly can't blame a person for wanting to make the most out of what
    they have...

    > Unlike a lot of those guys who spend 2k on a machine, I got a bargain
    > laptop (HP Pavillion ze4900). Can you blame me for wanting to make
    > the best of what I've got? Good... I thought not. In fact, I find
    > it perversely satisfying to make a slow computer perform better than
    > it was intended.

    "Boah, you needs some serious help, I say, I say, boah, so ya wanna be a
    chicken hawk do ya?"

    > So, how can I max out my Intel Extreme Graphics 2 onboard video?

    Step one: Find BFH (that's "big hammer" to most of us...).

    Step two: "Fore!"

    ;-)

    My
    > first step, of course, is to order more ram, since this silly puppy is
    > "integrated", meaning it steals from my normal ram to feed the video
    > memory. Of which I only have 256 MB of DDR @ 266mhz. I understand
    > that this chipset prefers 333mhz ram... does anyone know how badly
    > I'll be affected by that?

    Well, every little bit helps. But can you even run a faster FSB on this
    thing? You could increase the FSB up until several design limitations
    establish your effective ceiling, but the integrated graphics core may puke
    a little before the rest of the chipset decides to let you know enuff's
    enuff...

    > Does anybody have any experience overclocking this thing? Are there
    > any specialized drivers for it out there?

    Now who's gonna bother developing those? Latest ones from Intel is "what you
    get and like it"...

    Is there any good software
    > that will let me keep on eye on what its doing?

    Overclocking laptops is a dodgy proposition...you'd just as easily hit the
    thermal throttle point sooner as anything else.

    > Please Post Replies

Graphics Cards Graphics