Activating an ebay-bought phone

Last response: in Network Providers
August 3, 2005 4:49:50 PM

I'm an existing vzw customer, and just bought a Samsumg a670 off ebay.
I'm not too keen on paying my local vzw shop $13 to press a few buttons
on it to activate, as I have a friend of a friend who works at a
Verizon-authorized Radio Shack, who says he can activate the phone for
me for free, but it'll be awhile before I can get to him, so I was
trying to see how to do so myself.

I heard many people say just use *228, but this resulted in programming
unsuccessful. I would think it's more involved that that anyway. So is
there a way I can pull this off myself, or should I just wait for the
guy?
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 4:59:43 PM

<yerk5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm an existing vzw customer, and just bought a Samsumg a670 off ebay.
> I'm not too keen on paying my local vzw shop $13 to press a few buttons
> on it to activate, as I have a friend of a friend who works at a
> Verizon-authorized Radio Shack, who says he can activate the phone for
> me for free, but it'll be awhile before I can get to him, so I was
> trying to see how to do so myself.
>
> I heard many people say just use *228, but this resulted in programming
> unsuccessful. I would think it's more involved that that anyway. So is
> there a way I can pull this off myself, or should I just wait for the
> guy?

I've used Verizon's website to activate phones. It's a selection in your
personal account section. The phones that I've activated have been phones
that previously had been used on my Verizon account that I was re-activating
because a phone was in the shop, etc., but I don't see why it wouldn't work
for other phones as well. The website asks for the ESDN number and a reason
(selected from a pull-down menu which includes, "other").

Anonymous
August 3, 2005 8:03:33 PM

<yerk5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm an existing vzw customer, and just bought a Samsumg a670 off ebay.
> I'm not too keen on paying my local vzw shop $13 to press a few buttons
> on it to activate, as I have a friend of a friend who works at a
> Verizon-authorized Radio Shack, who says he can activate the phone for
> me for free, but it'll be awhile before I can get to him, so I was
> trying to see how to do so myself.
>
> I heard many people say just use *228, but this resulted in programming
> unsuccessful. I would think it's more involved that that anyway. So is
> there a way I can pull this off myself, or should I just wait for the
> guy?

You can do it online for free.

Log into your acct on verizonwireless.com (set one up if you don't have
one), go to Equipment and Phones, hit Activate Phone and follow the simple
instructions(enter the ESN, ya' know).

Wait 5-10 minutes then do *228, option 1 from your phone to reprogram.
You're done!

August 4, 2005 12:47:16 AM

can any tell me what is ESN??

To activate phone..

thanks..

"Expert Witness" <x@nospamcourt> wrote in message
> <yerk5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm an existing vzw customer, and just bought a Samsumg a670 off ebay.
>> I'm not too keen on paying my local vzw shop $13 to press a few buttons
>> on it to activate, as I have a friend of a friend who works at a
>> Verizon-authorized Radio Shack, who says he can activate the phone for
>> me for free, but it'll be awhile before I can get to him, so I was
>> trying to see how to do so myself.
>>
>> I heard many people say just use *228, but this resulted in programming
>> unsuccessful. I would think it's more involved that that anyway. So is
>> there a way I can pull this off myself, or should I just wait for the
>> guy?
>>

> You can do it online for free.
>
> Log into your acct on verizonwireless.com (set one up if you don't have
> one), go to Equipment and Phones, hit Activate Phone and follow the simple
> instructions(enter the ESN, ya' know).
>
> Wait 5-10 minutes then do *228, option 1 from your phone to reprogram.
> You're done!

August 4, 2005 12:47:17 AM

"kawika" <da2693@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:o 3aIe.37329$MW5.681@trnddc08...
> can any tell me what is ESN??

Remove the battery -- the ESN number will be on a sticker applied to the
back. The website will tell you how to recognize it.

> To activate phone..
>
> thanks..
>
> "Expert Witness" <x@nospamcourt> wrote in message
> > <yerk5@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm an existing vzw customer, and just bought a Samsumg a670 off ebay.
> >> I'm not too keen on paying my local vzw shop $13 to press a few buttons
> >> on it to activate, as I have a friend of a friend who works at a
> >> Verizon-authorized Radio Shack, who says he can activate the phone for
> >> me for free, but it'll be awhile before I can get to him, so I was
> >> trying to see how to do so myself.
> >>
> >> I heard many people say just use *228, but this resulted in programming
> >> unsuccessful. I would think it's more involved that that anyway. So is
> >> there a way I can pull this off myself, or should I just wait for the
> >> guy?
> >>

> > You can do it online for free.
> >
> > Log into your acct on verizonwireless.com (set one up if you don't have
> > one), go to Equipment and Phones, hit Activate Phone and follow the
simple
> > instructions(enter the ESN, ya' know).
> >
> > Wait 5-10 minutes then do *228, option 1 from your phone to reprogram.
> > You're done!

August 4, 2005 12:47:18 AM

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 14:29:38 -0700, "PTravel"
<ptravel@travelersvideo.com> wrote:

>"kawika" <da2693@verizon.net> wrote in message
>news:o 3aIe.37329$MW5.681@trnddc08...
>> can any tell me what is ESN??
>
>Remove the battery -- the ESN number will be on a sticker applied to the
>back. The website will tell you how to recognize it.

Sometimes the ESN (Electronic Serial Number) is in Decimal,
Hexadecimal or both. I forget which one the website likes (probably
both)

I've activated phones from eBay in this manner and like others have
said, wait 5 to 10 minutes, then *228, select option #1, and it should
work fine.

Dave
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 12:47:19 AM

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 17:53:31 -0400, Diamond Dave
<dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> graced this newsgroup with:

>On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 14:29:38 -0700, "PTravel"
><ptravel@travelersvideo.com> wrote:
>

>>"kawika" <da2693@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>news:o 3aIe.37329$MW5.681@trnddc08...
>>> can any tell me what is ESN??
>>
>>Remove the battery -- the ESN number will be on a sticker applied to the
>>back. The website will tell you how to recognize it.
>
>Sometimes the ESN (Electronic Serial Number) is in Decimal,
>Hexadecimal or both. I forget which one the website likes (probably
>both)
>
>I've activated phones from eBay in this manner and like others have
>said, wait 5 to 10 minutes, then *228, select option #1, and it should
>work fine.
>
>Dave

keep in mind that if you have contacts/ringtones etc. from your old
phone, you'll still need to enter them in manually or download them
from a saved file on your pc (if it's capable of doing that and you
have the proper s/w and cabling).
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 3:24:29 AM

"HarleyVa@nospam.com" <nospam@die.die.die> wrote in message
> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 17:53:31 -0400, Diamond Dave
> <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> graced this newsgroup with:
>
>>On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 14:29:38 -0700, "PTravel"
>><ptravel@travelersvideo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"kawika" <da2693@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>>news:o 3aIe.37329$MW5.681@trnddc08...
>>>
>>>Remove the battery -- the ESN number will be on a sticker applied to the
>>>back. The website will tell you how to recognize it.
>>
>>Sometimes the ESN (Electronic Serial Number) is in Decimal,
>>Hexadecimal or both. I forget which one the website likes (probably
>>both)
>>
>>I've activated phones from eBay in this manner and like others have
>>said, wait 5 to 10 minutes, then *228, select option #1, and it should
>>work fine.
>>
>>Dave
>
> keep in mind that if you have contacts/ringtones etc. from your old
> phone, you'll still need to enter them in manually or download them
> from a saved file on your pc (if it's capable of doing that and you
> have the proper s/w and cabling).

Another thing to keep in mind. If the phone has vast difference in features
compared to the phone you are replacing it may not work either. EX...I just
switched from the VX8100 I was trying, back to my CDM9900 and I had to call
CS to do it. Due to the fact the 8100 is an EVDO phone and the 9900 is not,
the CS rep had to remove some of the 'behind the scene' account codes that
would have allowed the 8100 to access the EVDO network. These account codes
were incompatiable with my 9900 and thus had to be removed. So the a670
is a camera phone....did you have a camera phone before?

Just a thought.
ShackAttack.

ps I dont misspell words....I check to see if everyone is paying attention.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 7:44:46 AM

Worked like a charm. Thanks so much to everyone!
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 5:28:02 PM

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 23:24:29 -0500, ShackAttack wrote:

> EX...I just
> switched from the VX8100 I was trying, back to my CDM9900 and I had to call
> CS to do it.

Ahhh, the 9900. A great phone!!
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 6:29:57 PM

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 17:53:31 -0400, Diamond Dave <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com>
chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
everything:

>Sometimes the ESN (Electronic Serial Number) is in Decimal,
>Hexadecimal or both. I forget which one the website likes (probably
>both)

Yes, the web site will take either form.

>I've activated phones from eBay in this manner and like others have
>said, wait 5 to 10 minutes, then *228, select option #1, and it should
>work fine.

In my experience, it is almost instant, certainly under a minute. Example:
Last year, I bought an Audiovox Thera PDA (from the closeout room at the
TigerDirect outlet store for $75). One evening, I went online and switched
my account from my VX4400 to the Thera. I surfed with it for a while (a
less than fulfilling experience), then used it to go the VZW web site and
switch back to the 4400. I entered the 4400's ESN and clicked OK. The
confirmation page started to load, then just quit before it was half done.
The change was made that fast.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"There's no crying in baseball!" - Tom Hanks' character in 'A League of
their own'
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 5:03:35 AM

As food for thought: *22890 will skip the prompts; program the phone and
update the prl. It is just an unadvertised variant of *228. Just saves you
from listening before entering 1 or 2. dr.
--
dr.news Better Price? (not better than you deserve, just more than you are
used to)

news:D 4f2f11lm0dok0ucr5ohji6f7qjv8d93n6@4ax.com...

!